Does BI inherit camera triggers?

foxfire

n3wb
Reaction score
Noob question but searched and couldn’t find much info on this. (I can’t even find the BI user manual, so perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place for my answers.)

There are various cameras out there that have some interesting trigger settings: tripwire, license plate, face recognition, loitering mode, etc. So how does this work (or not) with BI’s own (limited) trigger options? If I set the trigger options in the camera, will BI receive these triggers and record (if set to record on trigger) or does BI ignore the camera’s trigger settings and I can only use the trigger options that are available in BI?

Please point me in the right direction or post if this has been asked before.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For many brands it can. There's a blue iris help file, in the blue iris motion trigger settings you'll be able to see options trigger by camera motion detection. You generally have to use find inspect so the onvif profile is used. Bi motion detection and zone crossing Superior to anything in the camera.

foxfire

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, found the help file - thank you. Lots of good info here that I wasn’t aware of.

So, use BI’s motion detection, etc if it’s available in BI. But if the camera has some fancy algorithm that BI does not have (yet), I can still have BI inherit the trigger from the camera. Sweet.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, found the help file - thank you. Lots of good info here that I wasn’t aware of.

So, use BI’s motion detection, etc if it’s available in BI. But if the camera has some fancy algorithm that BI does not have (yet), I can still have BI inherit the trigger from the camera. Sweet.
The cameras "fancy algorithms" are mostly useless marketing BS. Whether or not they can pass it will depend on the camera and the onvif implementation.