Does BI only work with two hard drives?

Roye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello

I have 1 SSD for DB,new and alerts.

I have two hard drives each of 4TB, I use one of them for Stored clips.
My question, how can I use the second hard drive?

I just could not figure out what to do when I had more than 2 hard drives.

Thanks

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
How many cameras do you have? You could choose different hard drives for different cams if you have more than 1.

Roye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How many cameras do you have? You could choose different hard drives for different cams if you have more than 1.
I have 8 cameras in the meantime 24/7. Soon it will be 15 cameras.
Where can I find this option?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The simplest way to do it is to go into Blue Iris Options > Clips and archiving tab, and set the "New" folder to fill the first drive and set the "Stored" folder to fill the second drive. However this results in a lot of extra disk usage when clips are moved from one drive to the other.

A better but slightly more complicated way is basically what gwminor48 said. In Blue Iris Options > Clips and archiving tab you can set up different folders on different drives and tell Blue Iris what the size limits should be for each folder, and what to do with video once the limit is reached.

Then in each camera's properties on the "Record" tab you can change "Folder:" from "New" to something else, and that will change where the camera records to.

This way you can set it up so half the cameras record to each drive.

Roye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great.
Thanks for the info.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I use a little different approach, but they all work. I just setup Aux1 as my 2nd drive. Then under the cameras record tab I just select Aux1. I do not store any clips though, when the drive gets full it just deletes the oldest first. I also then divide my cameras evenly between the 2 drives.

example1.JPG example2.JPG

Also be sure to add any new folders or locations to your anti virus "excluded" list

Last edited:

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BI thinks each folder is a drive with it's own finite space. I don't understand it and Ken seems to think it is ok. I use different clip folders for different years. Yeah...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BI thinks each folder is a drive with it's own finite space. I don't understand it and Ken seems to think it is ok. I use different clip folders for different years. Yeah...
Kens makes sense that is how video... only severely OCD folk's need different folder for different years....how many year of footage are you archiving?

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Kens makes sense that is how video... only severely OCD folk's need different folder for different years....how many year of footage are you archiving?
Very severe OCD. Up to four years, age of my second born. But i'm going to cut back.