Does Netgear GS516TP support a Dahua SD49225T-HN POE+?

MarcW

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is so much misinformation out there and its pissing me off.

I want to consolidate several IP cams via a 16 port Netgear GS516TP ( https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Rackmount-Lifetime-Protection-JGS516PE/dp/B00GG1ACX2 ).

Unfortunately my premier cam is a Dahua Starlite SD49225T-HN which need 13w/20w via POE+

(SD49225T-HN,SD49225T HN,SD49225THN )

some of the possible misinformation is that the POE+ will work on that Netgear as long as it stays under the 85watt budget.

so ultimately, will my Dahua Starlite PTZ cam work with that Netgear 16 Port POE Switch or not?

thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is so much misinformation out there and its pissing me off.

I want to consolidate several IP cams via a 16 port Netgear GS516TP ( https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Rackmount-Lifetime-Protection-JGS516PE/dp/B00GG1ACX2 ).

Unfortunately my premier cam is a Dahua Starlite SD49225T-HN which need 13w/20w via POE+

(SD49225T-HN,SD49225T HN,SD49225THN )

some of the possible misinformation is that the POE+ will work on that Netgear as long as it stays under the 85watt budget.

so ultimately, will my Dahua Starlite PTZ cam work with that Netgear 16 Port POE Switch or not?

thanks in advance for any enlightenment.
Hi Marc,

Why not buy a PoE+ rated switch?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MarcW

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
good question,

I have a fairly large network that spans between two buildings and I have two other netgear managed switches that I absolutely love as they tell me if there is an Ethernet fault.

my current situation is that I have five cameras that I have had to dissconnect as one of them is throwing garbage on the network and with the current dumb switch I'm unable to figure out which one it is so I said to myself I'll get another Netgear Mananged switch so can help me identify the problem.

problem is that on the Amazon sales page some people are advocating that it can do POE+ and further digging, some spec sheets say it cannot.

If I plug in a POE+ device, and leave the IR off, will it still work?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
good question,

I have a fairly large network that spans between two buildings and I have two other netgear managed switches that I absolutely love as they tell me if there is an Ethernet fault.

my current situation is that I have five cameras that I have had to dissconnect as one of them is throwing garbage on the network and with the current dumb switch I'm unable to figure out which one it is so I said to myself I'll get another Netgear Mananged switch so can help me identify the problem.

problem is that on the Amazon sales page some people are advocating that it can do POE+ and further digging, some spec sheets say it cannot.

HI Marc,

Don't know for certain. Looks like a maybe...

Looking at the details:

The Camera:
Power Supply: DC 12V/3A, PoE+(802.3at)
Power Consumption: 13W,20W (IR on)

looking at wikipedia ( note not a perfect source )
"The original IEEE 802.3af-2003[1] PoE standard provides up to 15.4 W of DC power (minimum 44 V DC and 350 mA[2][3]) on each port.[4] Only 12.95 W is assured to be available at the powered device as some power dissipates in the cable.[5] The updated IEEE 802.3at-2009[6] PoE standard also known as PoE+ or PoE plus, provides up to 25.5 W of power for "Type 2" devices.[7] The 2009 standard prohibits a powered device from using all four pairs for power"

So, if the spec sheet is correct and the camera needs at least 13W - well then it will depend on how much is lost on the cable before it gets to the camera. ( I'm guessing yes it will work as long as the cable is good and not fully 100M long )

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is what I think will happen: The camera will 'tell' the switch how much power it needs which will be more than 802.3af provides and the switch will shutdown power to that port.

Get a 802.3at injector / switch / keep using one of your current switches. Even something like the super cheap tenda 5 port 803.2at switch has an 'extend' option which switches the poe ports to 10mbps and isolates them from each other.