Does Streaming to YouTube use bandwidth if no one is watching stream?

yds

n3wb
Reaction score
Was considering using BI to stream one or two of my weather webcams to YouTube. That way I could share the live video with others, without having to give access to my BI server webstreams directly. Question is, does the stream use bandwidth all the time I'm connected to YouTube, or only when someone watches the live stream on YouTube? Haven't been able to find a clear answer on the InterWeb. I feel that it would, but not sure.

While my internet service is does have unlimited usage, I'd be concerned about using up some of my bandwidth 24/7 if streaming BI to YouTube is constantly taking some.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bear in mind that if you never get a definitive answer, you can always set up a 'Guest' user with password in Blue Iris and have them log into BI's built-in webserver.

In the 'Options', under 'Edit User' you can control the 'Guest' access to a specific camera 'group', limit what control they have, limit their bandwidth and how long they can view the stream, even schedule when they can do so (and more). You can even have a specific (canned or custom) .htm 'homepage' in the 'www' folder launched when they log in.

BI_user-config.jpg

Under 'Options, 'Webserver, 'Advanced', you can also limit the number of users that view a stream concurrently (and more).

BI_webserver_advanced.jpg