Does the webcam only work when Blue Iris is open?

cjw

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here.

I've got 3 IP Camera in/on my house, 2 are the same and the other a different make. I've got the full Blue Iris software. I've managed to set up the 2 cameras within the software and figured out how to set up and email alerts when the cameras detect movement. However, does this only work while the software is open/running on my computer, because when I close the software I don't get any email alerts?

My other camera isn't being detected by the software. Is this because the camera is hard wired to my router or am I doing something wrong. It's a Tenvis IP391W model.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Of course you must have the software running....

cjw

n3wb
Reaction score
Ahh. On my Tenvis camera, the software that came with it which is awful, allowed me to set up the email alert and the computer doesn't has to be on. I thought Blue Iris would do the same?

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you want Blue Iris to monitor the cameras, take snapshots, sense motion, record motion, replay videos..... the software needs to be running.

Lets start with some basics..

BI is running on your server. The server needs to be turned on anytime you want BI to monitor your cams. Next, BI needs to be always running on that server. You can manually start it and it should run just fine. But in the event of a power fail and subsequent reboot, BI would not be running. This is one reason why the option is available to run BI as a service. In windows, services are usually started on power on so you don't need to start it yourself. Set the option and its automatic. No complicated config or registry twiddling. (well some twiddling..., to get power on after fail requires a BIOS change - well documented).

Save the configs to a mem stick and you can migrate or restore in a flash. Easy peasy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh. On my Tenvis camera, the software that came with it which is awful, allowed me to set up the email alert and the computer doesn't has to be on. I thought Blue Iris would do the same?
That is because the software did nothing, the camera sent emails...