Dome Cameras

rracctv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I see from a few posts that many are not to keen on dome cams for outdoor use. Would a covered front porch still be a bad place for a dome camera?

I live in South Florida so insects are definitely a concern but the Dome cam I was thinking of using seems to be pretty securely encased.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Domes will work outside when covered properly from the weather elements. As long as they won't have water or snow hit them which will result in water spots that will blind the IR you'll be fine. However, a turret camera with Matrix IR will give you a much better night image than the IR ring that will be on your dome.

Here is a thread I did with some domes outside: HIKVision & LTS 3 & 4mp Camera review/example

rracctv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What about spiders and other insects getting into the dome area? Is that a common problem? I am using the 4mp Qsee from Costco in the particular location but have been debating returning it and getting a two camera bullet cam bundle for about $50 more.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Most domes have a solid seal with weather tight gasket for additional protection. I never had issues with mine at all (weather or bugs)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Camera Vandalism on Private Property is basically non-existant.. and even then domes can be vandalized just as easy with a can-o-spraypaint or you can just put on a mask and not even bother.

its not worth dealing with all the dome crap for a non-issue; you can get bomb proof camera enclosures too but unless your watching an embassy I doubt you need it.

With adequate video coverage nobody can get close enough to a camera to tamper with it and not be seen.. Ive seen domes on covered porches have all sorts of reflection issues with nearby lighting so many surfaces for light to reflect off of and fog out the dome.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would a covered front porch still be a bad place for a dome camera?
I'm new to this, and a dome camera (Hikvision DS-2CD2132F) on my covered front porch was the first camera I installed. I chose a dome (before I found this forum) mostly because I thought it was the most discreet looking option.

It's turned out to be a huge PITA to work with in terms of IR light bleed. There is a foam ring that surrounds the lens. This ring has to "poof out" enough to make contact with the inside of the dome, otherwise the IR light bleeds into the camera picture and everything looks foggy (when IR is on). The way the camera came positioned in the dome from the factory, there was no problem with this. But the way I've got the camera positioned on my porch, it's been a struggle to fix the IR light bleed. Take the dome off (for troubleshooting) and the picture is perfect. Put the dome back on and make sure the ring is puffed out, and it looks good for a day or two, then it's back to foggy. I've given up fighting this and have disabled IR.

I personally don't care for the look of a bullet cam on my front porch, so I'm probably going to replace this dome camera with a turret one, and find another use for this dome camera.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm new to this, and a dome camera (Hikvision DS-2CD2132F) on my covered front porch was the first camera I installed. I chose a dome (before I found this forum) mostly because I thought it was the most discreet looking option.

It's turned out to be a huge PITA to work with in terms of IR light bleed. There is a foam ring that surrounds the lens. This ring has to "poof out" enough to make contact with the inside of the dome, otherwise the IR light bleeds into the camera picture and everything looks foggy (when IR is on). The way the camera came positioned in the dome from the factory, there was no problem with this. But the way I've got the camera positioned on my porch, it's been a struggle to fix the IR light bleed. Take the dome off (for troubleshooting) and the picture is perfect. Put the dome back on and make sure the ring is puffed out, and it looks good for a day or two, then it's back to foggy. I've given up fighting this and have disabled IR.

I personally don't care for the look of a bullet cam on my front porch, so I'm probably going to replace this dome camera with a turret one, and find another use for this dome camera.
You obviously already know what is causing your issue. However, here is the HIK white paper put out regarding your issue. I haven't really heard of anyone who couldn't get it fixed/sealed, but apparently in your case you can't. I agree with you domes look better in some cases which is why I used them at my last house - they look more sleek then turrets in some placement areas. In our new house all our trim is white so the all white turrets blend really well, so it was a win win (better tech and less obvious) this time around.

http://www.hikvision.com/ueditor/net/upload/2015-06-10/99361bb6-27d5-482a-aaf3-2cdc32f835d1.pdf

rracctv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great info - thanks. I was going with cameras from Costco because of their great warranty and ease of exchange so I can take this Q-see dome back. With that being said, their bullet cameras don't seem to have the field of vision that I would like for the the location of this camera. I have been leary of dealing with AliExpress because I have heard of issues with warranty or exchanges on defective products. Any suggestions for a nice wide angle camera and where to purchase it from?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the cost saved buying from AliExpress often allows you to outright buy a replacement/spare camera out of pocket and your still ahead.. If you dont buy garbage brands the chances of you exercising a warranty claim is minimal