Dome or Turret?

Reaction score
I wanted to create a thread to type out what my current thoughts are on buying a dome camera over a turret camera or vice versa in order to help me make a decision. Please feel free to chip in on anything I have missed.

I am currently looking at two camera models DS-2CD2185FWD-I (dome) and DS-2CD2385FWD-I (turret) to purchase and hence I will post with these in mind.

IR
There are a few places online that I have seen that there have been advances in dome cameras specifically surrounding IR reflection. Whilst this is reassuring evidence says otherwise as seen in this video (it's quite evident too) however on the contrary this video has a perfectly clear image and you may even think the two videos are totally different cameras. On the flip side the turret camera from the same youtuber in the first link shows a quality image as shown here.

Is quality of installation a factor here and this is why there is a significant difference between the first two youtube links?

Physical concerns
The dome camera is slightly smaller in size vs the turret camera although the size can be easily forgotten about considering the dome camera is around 50% black in colour and therefore more conspicuous whereas the turret camera is much more inconspicuous considering there is much less black and more white.

The downside to the turret camera above is that it can be easily moved by an individual although you could argue that you could easily disable the dome camera with enough force as shown here (in my eyes he wasn't hitting it hard enough with the hammer). Alternatively if you really wanted to disable it you could easily remove the dome cover and yank at the internals should you be that way inclined. You can however question if the turret camera considering it is more inconspicuous due to its colour scheme would it be noticed less?

I have read that the plastic on the domes degrade after a while due to UV and need replaced so that is something to factor in as a possibility. You may also need to clean them more frequently due to their larger surface area.

Others
Changing the lens in a turret camera can be much harder considering you need to separate the housing and from what I have seen in the case of the turret camera listed above there is a chance to damage the cables joining both halves of the camera. In a dome camera all you have to do is lift off the dome.

Weighing up the differences
Am I correct in saying that physical interaction with the camera is a factor, whereby the camera can be physically accessed, it should be a done style camera otherwise it should be a turret camera?

I am still trying to figure out which camera I actually want to settle for hence this post however I'd appreciate any advice to allow me to make a decision.

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is quality of installation a factor here and this is why there is a significant difference between the first two youtube links?
Quality of install is definitely a factor. The lens has a ring around it that must push against the inside of the dome. Some rings come smushed/retracted and will not touch the inside of the dome without the installer pulling it forward. Also, quality of maintenance is a factor. A dirty dome can reflect even more.

The video w/ the reflection appears to have a large solid wall directly to the side of the camera. The video w/o the reflection has something to the side of the camera, but it doesn't appear to be nearly as large. The camera in the second video could have had the IR turned down (using the camera config), producing less IR to reflect back.

I don't know how Hik turrets work, but Dahua turrets are held in position with a lock screw that you tighten after you get the camera pointed correctly. My Dahua turrets are high enough that nobody's going to be able to touch them (without a ladder), but even then, I'd guess that they'd literally have to hang their entire weight on them to attempt to reposition them.

If you're looking for the best night-time image quality, look at Hikvision's Ultra-Low Light models (or Dahua's Staright models, they both use the same Sony STARVIS image sensor that works the best in low-light). Those are 2MP/3MP cameras, which is the maximum number of MP the image sensors can support and still capture the most amount of light required to make great low-light images. Higher MP cameras can have sharper looking images at night when not much is moving, but often even relatively slow movement (i.e. a person walking by at night will) have enough blur that you can't make out their face.

Regarding changing lens, the most popular Starlight model here has been the vari-focial turret (HDW5231R-Z and 5231E-ZE). Both models have a lens that can be electronically be set in a range of 2.7 to 12/13.5mm. Dahua also offers a lot of different models, like a vari-focal Starlight bullet that goes from 5.3mm to 64mm, so you don't see folks changing lens very much.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read the cliff notes in the wiki at the top of the page.
Outdoors, domes are not a good idea.
The Dahua or Hik turrets will handle the same or more abuse as a dome.
A can of spray paint can disable any of them, hopefully if the install was correct, by the time they use the paint, you've already captured a good face shot.

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A can of spray paint can disable any of them, hopefully if the install was correct, by the time they use the paint, you've already captured a good face shot.
I read that simple laser lecture pointers can take out a ip-cam sensor permanently.
Perp. does not even need to get close to cameras.
Are these devices too high tech for our vandals and door checkers?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I read that simple laser lecture pointers can take out a ip-cam sensor permanently.
Perp. does not even need to get close to cameras.
Are these devices too high tech for our vandals and door checkers?
Hi Jim,

Not so. You would need significant amount of energy to do permanent damage.

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not so. You would need significant amount of energy to do permanent damage.
Hi, Thanks Mat. Was wondering about that.
Also, here is an easy question. How do I send a "Private Message" on this forum?
Have not seen any interface action for that....

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Jim Pederson, they're called "Private Conversations" on this forum software. If you click on the poster's name, you should see an option that says "Start a Conversation".