DOME vs. BULLET Camera

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Considering an outdoor PTZ camera, is there any reason to want a dome camera over a bullet type camera?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
For an outdoor ptz, get one without the bubble covering the lens and IRs. Basically a rotating turret style. The popular black face Dahuas are an example. A bubble will cause IR bleed issues at night. A bullet is better optically than the bubble dome type as well.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
outdoor is a relative term. There are some cameras that's aren't as weatherproof but do fine under a soffit and a different category that could survive being mounted to a pole in north dakota.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
True. Extremes must be accounted for if present.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
outdoor is a relative term. There are some cameras that's aren't as weatherproof but do fine under a soffit and a different category that could survive being mounted to a pole in north dakota.
Most of my building/Cam locations do not involve soffits. I live in Michigan and we get some pretty good summer and winter storms. Fair to assume that whatever the lens covers, they will get wet and snow covered from time to time. However, most of the robberies that have been on my farm have occurred at night, so a good night video is a priority.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
RE: the dahua "black face" ptz, the I think the "mini black face" is more popular but not well suited to those conditions.

Something larger and more expensive like this would be a better option (also a "black face"): SD59225U-HNI (~$420 @ ali)
This is a new model that should be pretty impressive... not sure anybody here has tried one yet. Models with a dome over top of a cam like this will have more issues with IR and sun glare/reflection. The domes don't hold up the best outdoors either.

PTZs are most useful paired with sensors connected to the alarm inputs that are used to tell the camera to look at something in particular. Ambient and IR light will determine night performance (ranges mfgs claim are heavily inflated).

Buried vehicle probes or photoelectric sensors can be pretty effective if entry points are limited. I know you've had a lot of thefts over the years and I appreciate the desire to catch them in the act, but I'd be tempted to go full siren & strobes if your gates are breached.

I tried to find some of the old discussion about your past robberies/security system but didn't find what I was looking for (I could be remembering someone else's thread). Have most of your theft's been equipment someone can carry or something they've have to drive off with? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to get into the details publicly.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried to find some of the old discussion about your past robberies/security system but didn't find what I was looking for (I could be remembering someone else's thread). Have most of your theft's been equipment someone can carry or something they've have to drive off with?
I have been robed 7 times and once attempted unsuccessful. Some walk in, but the most expensive have been thefts of mowing equipment and trailers, where the gates have been smashed or bad guys have driven in over property boundaries where there is no fencing. Everything on the farm is locked in one way or another but it is not much of a deterrent against a deturmend thief.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been robed 7 times and once attempted unsuccessful. Some walk in, but the most expensive have been thefts of mowing equipment and trailers, where the gates have been smashed or bad guys have driven in over property boundaries where there is no fencing. Everything on the farm is locked in one way or another but it is not much of a deterrent against a deturmend thief.
Is the equipment always stored in the same place or do things like a riding mower sometimes get parked in different locations / out in the field?

Check out buried vehicle probes/loop detectors and photo electric beam sensors. They add up, but with the sensors that pickup vehicles you can be confident it wasn't a deer.

You could easily bury things like this at each entrance or make an invisible fence with PE beams or vehicle probes in a buffer around the storage area. Magnetic contacts on your gate are also relatively easy but might be easier to tamper with if they're noticed. Early warning is key if the cops have a chance of responding.

Years ago I remember seeing something that used fiber optic cable as an alarm loop. Probably wouldn't hold up the greatest over time.

There are also ways you could effectively put tracking devices in some of your high value equipment.