Door checkers again not even a month since last time

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So, this sucks and maybe organized crime? I'm going to go though the last month this weekend and see if I see anymore of them. I'm also looking to get another cam or ptz I know ptz can have issues and not always work as indented in auto tracking, but then I could have some better shots hopefully. I'm also going to contact my apt and see if I can install outside as to not have issues from the glass. So as last time and recommendations are welcome.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would just install a cam outside, better to beg forgiveness. Once you ask and they say No, you are screwed. They probably would not even know what is going on. Beside, they are not providing any security to your parking lot. Of course, the cam is Not going to stop them. You can send a push notification to yourself and have a spotlight ready to shine at them, and hope they don't take a shot. Those scumbags are like a pack of wolves.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think it's organized crime at all, just a bunch of opportunistic idiots. If you watch the video they don't check the drivers side door on all the cars. That's the most likely door to not be locked and they don't check them all. Failures at crime as well as life.

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would just install a cam outside, better to beg forgiveness. Once you ask and they say No, you are screwed. They probably would not even know what is going on. Beside, they are not providing any security to your parking lot. Of course, the cam is Not going to stop them. You can send a push notification to yourself and have a spotlight ready to shine at them, and hope they don't take a shot. Those scumbags are like a pack of wolves.
True, however I have never figured out how to setup push notifications. I have tried for my front door and always get an error on save. I don't mine the shot part as I'm armed as will so no worries there. I have even thought about getting wood and putting it in my window and just mounting to the wood as to not have any issues.

Reaction score
It's a bummer that this happens. But I am not sure what changes to your cams will help. Obviously you have too wide a view to get reasonable face shots. There is some motion blur. But the real issue is that they do not look towards your cams and they keep moving. Movement is the bane of cams at night.

So even if you got good face shots, what would you do with them? Will the police act on it? Technically, until they open a door, there is no crime committed. Now if you could have alerted the police when it happened, they could have been detained if the police came upon them. If other cars in that area had been hit and it was reported, then the police could take them in. But they look like juveniles, or at least teens. Nothing will happen to them.

I don't mine the shot part as I'm armed as will so no worries there
Be careful. Just because you are armed does not mean bad things won't happen to you. Are you willing to shoot one of those kids for trying a door? I do not know where you live, but in a lot of places, you would be in jail for that. I know you are pissed, and I would be too. But be careful how you react, especially now with all of the liberal bullshit happening. There were five of them. A pack really. So if you confront them and you are just one, they have the pack mentality, they see good odds in their favor even if they have no gun. This might force you to defend yourself. Now you have shot an unarmed teen of color in today's political climate. And there are five statements against your one that will say they are the victims and you are the perp. Now the cams might help you out as far as showing you needed to defend yourself. But they might be turned against you and someone calling you a vigilante. Even if you are justified and the cams back that up, in today's climate facts do not necessarily mean anything. "He was a good boy. He killed my baby!"

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
"He was an angel. He never hurt a fly", says the family of scumbags all across the USA that were killed committing a crime. @samplenhold is right...

Get a tighter shot, illuminate it more, and just keep the doors locked. That is about all you can do. Since its an apartment, all you can really do on your own is to make sure the doors are locked.

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's a bummer that this happens. But I am not sure what changes to your cams will help. Obviously you have too wide a view to get reasonable face shots. There is some motion blur. But the real issue is that they do not look towards your cams and they keep moving. Movement is the bane of cams at night.

So even if you got good face shots, what would you do with them? Will the police act on it? Technically, until they open a door, there is no crime committed. Now if you could have alerted the police when it happened, they could have been detained if the police came upon them. If other cars in that area had been hit and it was reported, then the police could take them in. But they look like juveniles, or at least teens. Nothing will happen to them.

Be careful. Just because you are armed does not mean bad things won't happen to you. Are you willing to shoot one of those kids for trying a door? I do not know where you live, but in a lot of places, you would be in jail for that. I know you are pissed, and I would be too. But be careful how you react, especially now with all of the liberal bullshit happening. There were five of them. A pack really. So if you confront them and you are just one, they have the pack mentality, they see good odds in their favor even if they have no gun. This might force you to defend yourself. Now you have shot an unarmed teen of color in today's political climate. And there are five statements against your one that will say they are the victims and you are the perp. Now the cams might help you out as far as showing you needed to defend yourself. But they might be turned against you and someone calling you a vigilante. Even if you are justified and the cams back that up, in today's climate facts do not necessarily mean anything. "He was a good boy. He killed my baby!"
No I wouldn't just soot someone for checking a door only if attached or severely threated as in jumped, knife or similar. I'm going to let the police know not that anything would be done unless they are caught in the act. I know what you mean with all this going on it is sad indeed. I'm going to go though around a month of video this weekend and see how often this is happening or if like once month. If I find out this happens often, I'm will just see about breaking my lease and moving as I'm too old for that crap.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No I wouldn't just soot someone for checking a door only if attached or severely threated as in jumped, knife or similar.
I did not think you would and I should have read that over a few times before I posted it as my point was not quite clear. But if you go out there with a gun, and the situation then escalates, through no fault of your own, and you do end up shooting someone, even in self defense, then the media will portray it as you shot someone for touching your car door. The headline will be something like "Man Shoots Unarmed Teen for Touching His Car".

Reaction score
You don't have offences of intent in the US? Just walking onto a property and trying the doors is an offence in Australia, even if they don't steal anything.
It's hard to prove intent. Without a statement like "I am going to kill you" or something else. I suppose they could be ticketed for trespassing, but only if the owner posted a No Trespassing sign.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You don't have offences of intent in the US? Just walking onto a property and trying the doors is an offence in Australia, even if they don't steal anything.
In the US, the criminals have more rights than the victims. If one of these pos broke into your house and started spraying bullets all around, and you shot him, you will pay. If you killed him, you will be going to jail for a long time. If he lives, you will be paying him damages.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the US, the criminals have more rights than the victims. If one of these pos broke into your house and started spraying bullets all around, and you shot him, you will pay. If you killed him, you will be going to jail for a long time. If he lives, you will be paying him damages.
Huh, not everywhere in the US. If you followed the rules, and didn't be a dumbass about it, chances would be slim in my area/state.
Problem is, way too many gun owners never take any training or continue that training, so they end up doing something stupid if a problem arises, then they go to jail.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's pretty good video - lower light and hardly any motion blur - from through a window. Totally agree with @handinpalm that you don't ask for permission first - that just puts you on the radar of the apt manager in case they don't understand security cams - some ppl freak out over them thinking they're getting spied on. I'd try to hide it in something too if you think it would be a big deal having one visible to the apt manager (in a birdhouse or planter....)

These guys just look like they are passing through and doing a random door check for loose change or other easy valuables, not organized criminals. Petty crime happens, tough to combat this type of activity other than keeping vigilant of your own possessions (locked doors, lights....). They just wanted the super easy target.

I like seeing these videos because it's a good reminder how the perps out there operate....both the amateurs and pros.

What model cam are you using there?

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's pretty good video - lower light and hardly any motion blur - from through a window. Totally agree with @handinpalm that you don't ask for permission first - that just puts you on the radar of the apt manager in case they don't understand security cams - some ppl freak out over them thinking they're getting spied on. I'd try to hide it in something too if you think it would be a big deal having one visible to the apt manager (in a birdhouse or planter....)

These guys just look like they are passing through and doing a random door check for loose change or other easy valuables, not organized criminals. Petty crime happens, tough to combat this type of activity other than keeping vigilant of your own possessions (locked doors, lights....). They just wanted the super easy target.

I like seeing these videos because it's a good reminder how the perps out there operate....both the amateurs and pros.

What model cam are you using there?
IPC-HDW5442TM-AS

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score

Here in NY, you can get arrested for just THINKING about defending your property.