door checkers caught

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
We caught these guys at a dealership that we monitor. This is not only happening at all of our homes, its happening at businesses also. We are learning a couple of lessons on this one, along with the guys that run the dealership. One, lock your doors. Two, make sure that all of your camera equipment is in good working order, your cameras are cleaned off and adjusted, and they are recording properly. In this case, this dealership is paying us to monitor their property and we have to stay one step ahead of these criminals to make our service work. We are constantly checking our equipment and making adjustments to our PIR sensors and cameras. We also learned that the police normally don't charge these guys with burglary if they are checking door handles in a residential neighborhood, if they haven't broke a window to enter a vehicle. If we leave our doors unlocked and someone walking down the street decides to open your car door, they can only really be charged with trespassing. In this case, we were able to prove that these guys took items out of several cars, and they had items on them from other cars in the surrounding neighborhood, so they were charged with multiple counts of burglary.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have much pity for those that don't LOCK their doors. This isn't new, it's been happening for years.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What's interesting is the thieves pushing on the brakes while in the vehicles. My guess is they are trying to start the push button cars and see if the key is hidden inside somewhere... so I am sure they would've taken a car or two as well.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
good video, crazy how many cars are left open though

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What brand and type of PIR sensors do you guys use?

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From the title I assumed you meant just "caught on video", but I was amazed to see caught by police! Impressive. Actually apprehending these guys just never happens in my neighborhood. I guess, if I was willing to spend every night from 2-4 am watching the cameras, maybe they could be. Or if I had a smart enough machine-vision software that can flag "checking each car door" separate from "just walking by".

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there a particular model you prefer to use?

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a particular model you prefer to use?
The most simple wired PIR, that just works, are their LX-402 and LX-802n models. They are about $70. We have them installed on buildings down here in South Florida, where the sun is beating on them all day, and they work. I think we have some that are 7-8 years old. They have a photocell adjustment so you can set them to work only at night. The directions say to mount them no higher than 8' 2", but we have the best luck mounting them around 6'6"-7'ft high. They are rated at 40 ft, but we test them at about 60-70 ft from the device.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
What's interesting is the thieves pushing on the brakes while in the vehicles. My guess is they are trying to start the push button cars and see if the key is hidden inside somewhere... so I am sure they would've taken a car or two as well.
We were thinking that they were trying to start the cars too. Maybe they thought that the dealer left the keys in the car somewhere.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you! I'm going to grab one from my local supplier to test out with a Hik turret for residential use. Normal install for me would be for areas like a driveway, any entry doors, side yard you know so that cameras don't trigger all day senselessly from leaves, trash etc. Gotta grab a SeaLevel 120E to function with BI.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Gotcha thanks. I get my equipment SES, so I'll see what my price is on them. I appreciate all the help.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Will do. Can you pm me your number??

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The most simple wired PIR, that just works, are their LX-402 and LX-802n models.
Thanks for the tip. I just got an Optex LX-802n and it will reliably detect me walking by slowly at 60' away in the default ("medium") sensitivity setting. The pattern is really tight, so I can avoid the plants to one side that always wave in the breeze. More expensive than what I had before, but I'll take reliability.