down the rabbit hole

VonLeo

n3wb
Reaction score
We moved into a new to us house and have been thinking about an outdoor camera system. The thought process has has evolved from the dubious Blink , to having someone wire my house with a BNC system , to POE and maybe I can just run those cables myself.
I've learned that there are "systems-that-shall-not-be-named" and I've learned that there is this sort of world wide Amazon called Aliexpress. But mostly I've decided to spend several more hours reading and lurking before I make a jump.
Thanks for all the great info, even if the more I learn the more I realize what I don't know.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Spend a week...not hours and you will make stronger decisions without the regret we see all too often

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We moved into a new to us house and have been thinking about an outdoor camera system. The thought process has has evolved from the dubious Blink , to having someone wire my house with a BNC system , to POE and maybe I can just run those cables myself.
I've learned that there are "systems-that-shall-not-be-named" and I've learned that there is this sort of world wide Amazon called Aliexpress. But mostly I've decided to spend several more hours reading and lurking before I make a jump.
Thanks for all the great info, even if the more I learn the more I realize what I don't know.
Welcome VonLeo

Excellent! We're always happy to help others as others here have helped us.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.