Download Video & Audio from Dahua IPC-HDBW5421E-Z

EbBlues

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and have a problem downloading recordings from the Dahua IPC-HDBW5421E-Z.
Our cameras have microphone attached and we have the cameras setup to record to local microSD card. When we stream from the camera live into Wowza, we get audio along with the video.
I can playback the recording in the main UI window and I get audio.
When we use the cameras web UI to download a recording from the SD card in DAV format (from the list on the right of the main playback window), there is never any audio, only video.

How do I download the recorded segments with audio?

Thanks,
Jo

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and have a problem downloading recordings from the Dahua IPC-HDBW5421E-Z.
Our cameras have microphone attached and we have the cameras setup to record to local microSD card. When we stream from the camera live into Wowza, we get audio along with the video.
I can playback the recording in the main UI window and I get audio.
When we use the cameras web UI to download a recording from the SD card in DAV format (from the list on the right of the main playback window), there is never any audio, only video.

How do I download the recorded segments with audio?

Thanks,
Jo
does it give you the option to download in mp4 on the top of that list?

EbBlues

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes there is an option for dav or mp4, neither of which gives audio in the downloaded file.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes there is an option for dav or mp4, neither of which gives audio in the downloaded file.
it should and does on my dahua cameras...what are you using to play the file?

EbBlues

n3wb
Reaction score
So I've tried every option I can think of. I downloaded the dav, the mp4 and even via the select and download under the playback view screen. I try to playback with quicktime on mac and get no sound only video. I ran ffmpeg on the downloaded file and it only shows a video stream:

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '06.00.00-06.05.00[R][0@0][0].mp4':
Metadata:
major_brand : isom
minor_version : 512
compatible_brands: isomiso2avc1mp41
creation_time : 2018-03-11T14:44:34.000000Z
Duration: 00:04:59.10, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 168 kb/s
Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuvj420p(pc, bt709), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 167 kb/s, 20 fps, 20 tbr, 1k tbn, 40 tbc (default)
Metadata:
creation_time : 2018-03-11T14:44:34.000000Z
handler_name : VideoHandler

So the camera is definitely only sending me the video, even though there must be audio on the camera since it plays in the camera viewer.
The camera info is:

Device TypeIPC-HDBW54A1E-Z
Software Version2.600.0006.0.R, Build Date: 2017-05-26
WEB Version3.2.1.455441
ONVIF Version2.42

Looks to be quite up to date. I'm going to look for a firmware update and see if it helps.

EbBlues

n3wb
Reaction score
I have still not solved the problem.
I have a newer camera, an N24BN52 that has a built in mic. This is a nice camera.
I'm using the latest version of Smart PSS (2.0) for Mac.
Hers a snapshot of the audio setting from SmartPSS:
Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 4.55.10 PM.png
The camera is definately not recording audio, only video.
If I playback a recording in Smart PSS I dont get audio.
I get audio on the live stream so the mic is working.
I downloaded one of the dav recordings and converted it to mkv with mkvmerge
then used mkvinfo to examine and it reports only one track, video.

I must be missing something that needs to be set to record video AND audio
Any ideas? I dont see any selector to turn on/off recording audio.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have still not solved the problem.
I have a newer camera, an N24BN52 that has a built in mic. This is a nice camera.
I'm using the latest version of Smart PSS (2.0) for Mac.
Hers a snapshot of the audio setting from SmartPSS:
View attachment 34520
The camera is definately not recording audio, only video.
If I playback a recording in Smart PSS I dont get audio.
I get audio on the live stream so the mic is working.
I downloaded one of the dav recordings and converted it to mkv with mkvmerge
then used mkvinfo to examine and it reports only one track, video.

I must be missing something that needs to be set to record video AND audio
Any ideas? I dont see any selector to turn on/off recording audio.
leave the encode type on the default setting and see what happens.

Matt Redz

n3wb
Reaction score
Did anyone get this working, I have the same issue Audio os fine on playback but when downloaded there is none!

EbBlues

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have finally found the solution to the problem.
About 2 months ago this ticket was closed in ffmpeg trac.
Looking at the latest ffmpeg changelog you can see that the dhav demuxer support was added.
It actually looks like it was added in Feb 2017 but is only in the git builds not the 4.1 release.
I downloaded the static linux git build from here and I can now convert the .dav files to mp4 with audio.
Many thanks to richardpl (Paul B Mahol) for adding this support!

Yuppie27

n3wb
Reaction score
EbBlues, what about file size? I`m using a nightly ffmpeg. But mine sometimes breaks the conversion and the files are much smaller than the original dav. Sometime (~ every 10th file) they are few kilobytes in size. If I use -f hevc as an input parameter to ffmpeg (when saved h265 from the cam), the files are perfect, except audio. That stream is missing then completely. I couldn`t find an option, which makes a perfect conversion.

Yuppie27

n3wb
Reaction score
concord, that method does play the h264 stream well, but no included audio stream in a .dav file. The only working method beside the chinease players seems to be a nightly ffmpeg. But as described above, sometimes the conversion stops before the end of the dav file. Then I have to convert it again with parameter -f hevc or -f h264 by loosing the audio stream.

richardpl

n3wb
Reaction score
concord, that method does play the h264 stream well, but no included audio stream in a .dav file. The only working method beside the chinease players seems to be a nightly ffmpeg. But as described above, sometimes the conversion stops before the end of the dav file. Then I have to convert it again with parameter -f hevc or -f h264 by loosing the audio stream.
Could you upload somewhere file that have such issue?

Yuppie27

n3wb
Reaction score
I would. But I can not find a link to send you a private message. Can you contact me by contact form of my website? www goermezer de. I will reply to your personel email address.

richardpl

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I fixed issue with file you uploaded. File was completely missing typical signatures at start of file, but one can find first valid chunk by seeking from end of file backward to last valid position so that is what will next version of ffmpeg do.

Matt Redz

n3wb
Reaction score
Do we still know if this is an issue, I downloaded a file from my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and played it with VLC player and again I have NO AUDIO.

The Audio plays fine when viewing it on the Camera direct via chrome so I know it's ok. I have not done a firmware update on my camera, will this help?

Thanks, Matt