Downside of using Cisco servers off eBay?

Lostmutt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I see a lot of Cisco Poe switches on eBay for really good prices. There are plenty of 24 port gigabit switches for very cheap, is there any real downside to using these over a regular POE switch? Anything I need to avoid or look for? I’ve tried to look at the switch list but can’t get it to work.
I’m just starting to get my system together and am on a really tight budget. Any advice or recommendations are welcome.
Right now I’m looking at least 3- 5 4K cameras and 2-4 2mp starlight cameras for night vision and more to come as I need them.
Thanks for any help!

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Downsides:
1. Quite possibly loud fans. (I possibly should have said probably loud fans. Don't know that for sure).
2. Older models are power hogs. Need to check the specs before buying.

I use one. Works great. I switched out the fans, but it's still not anywhere near quiet. Like a car driving through the room instead of a locomotive.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Some of them take for ever to boot up.
It is not a problem once up, but be aware of it.

Lostmutt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Downsides:
1. Quite possibly loud fans. (I possibly should have said probably loud fans. Don't know that for sure).
2. Older models are power hogs. Need to check the specs before buying.

I use one. Works great. I switched out the fans, but it's still not anywhere near quiet. Like a car driving through the room instead of a locomotive.
I’ve heard about the fans and am not to worried about that, probably swap them out if they were to bad.

I’ve noticed that about power, they seem to be pretty power hungry.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I bought a Brocade 24 port with POE+ from eBay several months ago and so far it has worked out quite well. ICX6450-24P, a good price is around $150. I stumbled across a forum where there is someone who really knows what they are doing, and they put together a tutorial on how to update to the latest firmware, etc

I should add that the first one I bought had a hole burned through a chip on the POE daughterboard, but it was pretty obvious when it booted up (threw codes). This was my first experience with an enterprise type switch and 'consoling in' with putty, but it wasn't too bad. It was really helpful trying to figure out what was going on to have the help and I got a full refund and bought another one

Brocade ICX6450-24P 24-Port PoE+ Enterprise-Class Stackable Switch - Tested 5052181779027 | eBay

You can still get one brand new, if you want to spend $2,700!
Ruckus ICX 6450-24P - switch - 24 ports - managed - rack-mountable - ICX6450-24P - Fixed (Managed) Switches - CDW.com

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought a Cisco (linksys SRW224G4P-248G4P) 24 port POE switch from eBay 3 yrs ago. Plugged it in, plugged in cameras and it has run pretty much nonstop since then without issue. I don't use nor know how to use any of the advanced managed switch features. These things can cost thousands new but once the model hits EOL \ no support \ no more updates, companies dump them for nothing. Mine was $60 bucks. Great decision so far. As mentioned the down side is no support and no firmware updates after EOL if that is a concern for you but I did not really care.

Lostmutt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That’s for all the info!
Is there anything I should avoid or watch out for?

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ya - things like this!

This the daughtercard I previously mentioned. The upper pic is of the card showing the two chips and the lower pic is a closeup of the one chip that was fried. Had I not had someone to rely on, I could have gotten screwed on this purchase. If you are going to buy an enterprise type switch off of eBay, I would try to find a forum that will offer you some support if you run into problems.

switch.jpg

Lostmutt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ya - things like this!

This the daughtercard I previously mentioned. The upper pic is of the card showing the two chips and the lower pic is a closeup of the one chip that was fried. Had I not had someone to rely on, I could have gotten screwed on this purchase. If you are going to buy an enterprise type switch off of eBay, I would try to find a forum that will offer you some support if you run into problems.

View attachment 46338
Ouch

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Ya - things like this!

View attachment 46338
Some one let the magic smoke out of it.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Buyer beware of course on eBay, but I purchased two HPE 24 port switches (one PoE and one not) several years ago when I was building out my camera installation. I just factory defaulted them and they are still running in the rack I installed them in to this day. Love those guys.