Downsides to using VPN?

munkiep

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've successfully setup my Hikvision NVR to my network using an Asus RT88U router and followed suggestions of running OpenVPN, turning off uPnP, etc. I can remotely view the cameras just fine from my phone using the OpenVPN app and Hikvision app while on other wireless networks. I also read up on OVPN compatibility with other devices before setting it up and managed to get my Google home(s) to work fine. However, i also have Philips Hue system, Samsung Smartthings connected to my Nvidia Shield TV, Harmony hub, and run a Plex server from my PC. The Hue system seems to work alright direct from my phone and using Google Home, but all my Hue lights show "unavailable" under the Smartthings app, as do some other devices connected to ST, as well as Harmony not being able to control the Hue system anymore. And i've tried looking for ways to remote access the Plex server (from someone else's plex account) behind a VPN, but everything i've found says it can't be done. I'm assuming the problem with Smartthings and Harmony lies in the fact that the services are cloud based. Are these sacrifices that have to be made to keep the bots from hacking my cameras?

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Turning off UPNP and turning on the VPN server on your router should have no effect on any of your ST devices. Your ST hub opens the connection outgoing to the ST backend server so as long as you didn't change firewall rules on your router to block outgoing traffic it should not be effected. All of your devices should talk to your ST hub locally or via the cloud in some cases like Sonos, but again as long as you didn't block outgoing ports they should be fine. I have ST, OSRAM, and SONOS all connected through an ASUS RT-AC68U router with UPNP off and using OpenVPN to access my network from the outside for BI access and everything is working fine.

munkiep

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Terk, i'll have to double check the firewall rules when i get home this evening, I didnt change any of those settings when i set it up, therefore i dont know what settings were established already when it came out of the box and after the firmware update.