Dreaded Memory Leaks - need ideas SOLVED

tbaygents

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all i have gone through the standard troubleshooting that is listed here on IPCAMTALK and also on the blue iris forums. I cannot get this slow memory leak under control. I've been running blue iris about 6 months now but have to restart my computer about every 4-5 days as the memory will slowly creep up over time (no cpu issues runs very low). Here are the stats and what ive tried:

Computer:
  • Dedicated BI machine with a completely wiped clean install (2nd time doing this).
  • I ran debloating tools and removed alot of the default dell items and bloatware
  • No other software on this machine other than BI and SenseAI.
  • Windows 10 Pro 21H2
  • 16GB dual channel memory (tested all good)
  • i5-9500 processor - UHD Graphics 630
  • 256gb SSD - has the OS and DB folders for blue iris
  • 4TB WD purple - has the stored and alert files for blue iris
  • Antivirus is excluding: D:\BlueIris Folder (D is the WD Purple drive), file type: bvr, process: python.exe, process: blueiris.exe
  • Clearly shows BI using all the memory in the task manager.
  • Ive now blocked windows update as well (it kept trying to update my video drivers)
  • Ive tried the following video card drivers:
    • 31.0.101.2111 - still leaked
    • 30.0.101.1994 - still leaked
    • 30.0.101.1960 - still leaked
    • 30.0.101.1660 - testing
Cameras:
  • 4x 5442 from Andy running the latest firmware's.
  • H.264 currently but ive tried H.265 as well.
  • Constant bit rate, FPS & IFRAME all set to 15 across all cameras.
  • All cameras are currently set identically in terms of encoding, bit rates, fps, iframes
Blue Iris Setup:
  • Blue Iris 5.5.9.3 (but this has occurred on every version for me) - running as service
  • Sense AI 1.5 (deepstack has never been on this computer after I wiped it again). Same thing happened with deepstack.
  • I'm using direct to disc and have substream enabled
  • Hardware acceleration is now set to "NO" but ive tried "intel" and "intel + VPP"
I'm about out of ideas on this. The typical "antivirus and video card drivers is your problem" has not solved it. I know that disk issues could be something but im not sure how to evaluate and test the disk for this.

Attachments

tbaygents

n3wb
Reaction score
Anybody had similar issues? Or anybody using the i5-9500 series that can check what video drivers they are using?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When you wiped and re-installed windows, did you use the MS Media Creation tool?
Or did you use Dells restore.
Always best to use Media Creation tool to avoid anything that Dell may sneak in.
Go with the drivers that Media Creation tool installs.

tbaygents

n3wb
Reaction score
When you wiped and re-installed windows, did you use the MS Media Creation tool?
Or did you use Dells restore.
Always best to use Media Creation tool to avoid anything that Dell may sneak in.
Go with the drivers that Media Creation tool installs.
I have verified all cameras are not using HA at this point (set globally and i checked each camera). I did a complete wipe and reinstall again this time using the WMC tool. If anything now its leaking memory at a slightly faster rate. I live in an area with ALOT happening on the cameras, is it possible it just cant keep up with all the triggers/AI? I'm using a WD purple 4tb drive.

tbaygents

n3wb
Reaction score
Figured I would post an update on this one. I continued to fight with this issue until this month and finally swapped the computer out for a new Optiplex. Same configuration files for blue iris, same cameras problem is resolved. I don't know what the issue is with the old computer as memory tests, hard drive tests were all good, trying over 10 display drivers nothing would stop the slow leaks. New computer, no issue.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Figured I would post an update on this one. I continued to fight with this issue until this month and finally swapped the computer out for a new Optiplex. Same configuration files for blue iris, same cameras problem is resolved. I don't know what the issue is with the old computer as memory tests, hard drive tests were all good, trying over 10 display drivers nothing would stop the slow leaks. New computer, no issue.
Sounds like you threw the baby out with the bath water! lol
I know how frustrating running down a problem like that can be. I built a new PC to use for Blue Iris recently. Intel 11700 i7 CPU, integrated graphics. Did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, no anti virus program, then loaded Blue Iris. Windows kept crashing randomly shortly after putting in service. Windows Event Viewer only said an unexpected shutdown occurred. I tried a different video driver but it didn't help. Tried a new power supply, no dice. Tested the CPU and memory, all good. So a few months ago on a whim I decided to try updating Windows to version 11 Pro. It hasn't crashed since! Solid as a rock. Not sure what the issue was..

Reaction score
To fight that issue many years ago, I just started to have my BI machine reboot fresh every night via task scheduler. I know many here don't do this, or they have it scheduled for once a week. For me, I have been running this 4th Gen I-5 Dell for almost 8 years and it remains just rock-solid with 9 cams right now.

tbaygents

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds like you threw the baby out with the bath water! lol
I know how frustrating running down a problem like that can be. I built a new PC to use for Blue Iris recently. Intel 11700 i7 CPU, integrated graphics. Did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, no anti virus program, then loaded Blue Iris. Windows kept crashing randomly shortly after putting in service. Windows Event Viewer only said an unexpected shutdown occurred. I tried a different video driver but it didn't help. Tried a new power supply, no dice. Tested the CPU and memory, all good. So a few months ago on a whim I decided to try updating Windows to version 11 Pro. It hasn't crashed since! Solid as a rock. Not sure what the issue was..
You’re not kidding! I spent hours upon hours researching, reading, reinstalling, formatting, having Ken at BlueIris remote into it to turn up nothing. I tried windows 11 also since I figured it couldn’t hurt. No dice for me! Glad you got it without having to buy a new computer. Luckily this will only cost me about $100 total when it’s all said and done and I sell this “leaker”.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You’re not kidding! I spent hours upon hours researching, reading, reinstalling, formatting, having Ken at BlueIris remote into it to turn up nothing. I tried windows 11 also since I figured it couldn’t hurt. No dice for me! Glad you got it without having to buy a new computer. Luckily this will only cost me about $100 total when it’s all said and done and I sell this “leaker”.
I spent more than that on the power supply! Anyone need a new Corsair 850 watt power supply? lol.