driveway alarm

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
cheapest driveway alarm that can be rigged up to a z-wave sensor, go! I'm assuming I can't use one of those cheap bunker hill ones from harbour freight because I'd need 0 voltage dry contacts. I may get one of those anyways for now but i'd love to be able to connect it into my home automation system.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I gave up on PIR sensors for a driveway alarm. Too many triggers on animals, and wouldn't pick up a car driving by if the engine was still cold. A magnetic sensor is way better. Not quite 100% accurate, but in the high 90s, much better than PIR. I have it wired as an external alarm to the nvr.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I gave up on PIR sensors for a driveway alarm. Too many triggers on animals, and wouldn't pick up a car driving by if the engine was still cold. A magnetic sensor is way better. Not quite 100% accurate, but in the high 90s, much better than PIR. I have it wired as an external alarm to the nvr.
got a link to an example?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The magnetic sensors detect a disturbance in the ambient magnetic field. People and animals won't trigger them. The easiest way for a car to slip through is to creep past the sensor. A high aluminum content car has a better chance of going undetected. I actually have 2 of the sensors on my long driveway. Occasionally a car will slip through one of them, but I never seen an instance of slipping through both. I get a very occasional false positive when a large trailer, snowplow, or garbage truck goes screaming down the road about 30' from one of the sensors. On the NVR trigger, all I'm doing is an event trigger on a few of the channels. Besides being a backup to tripwire detection, it gets me around the Dahua nvr bug where frames are dropped on the event trigger, which is the absolute worst time to be dropping frames.

Here's one example:
Gate Crafters Outdoor Buried Driveway Exit Sensor CS-202 Series - Gate Hardware - Amazon.com

Find others searching for "driveway exit sensor". This isn't the one I'm using, so I can't say how much work it is to interface it to the NVR. It sounds easy enough, saying "Normally open and normally closed relay connection". Only because I'm a cheapskate, I'm using the Mighty Mule Wireless Driveway Alarm, which costs ~$70, hacked to be a wired sensor. If your not an electronics tinkerer and willing to risk breaking the device, this won't work. I'm happy to share the hack with anybody interested.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pet immune sensors should have fewer false triggers, it depends on if you're more interested in people or cars. For a remote driveway I'd definitely use a buried loop or probe or air tubes, but in the city that's harder and there are more people on foot. A photoelectric beam is another option that shouldn't have many false triggers if you mount it around 18" off the ground.