Driveway Sensor choices?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So which cost-effective sensors might be employed to detect vehicles entering a driveway? Thanks

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dakota Alert. I have used these for more than 8 years. These is a base station type receiver I use in the house and a walkie talkie type receiver for the backyard. I usually have to replace a transmitter every 18 months to 2 years. I have a long driveway so I had to use 2 of these, one at the bottom and one at the top. Squirrels and other animals will set if off so unless I hear both go off, I know its an animal.

https://www.amazon.com/Dakota-Alert-MURS-Detection-Kit/dp/B00FJ9S0W2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=14DLFNEFT9L82&keywords=dakota+alert+murs&qid=1551453540&s=gateway&sprefix=Dakota+alert,aps,181&sr=8-4

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had real good luck with the Guardline unit. Can set various zones (4) and various alarm sounds/light choices to distinguish different sensors. Ive had this one for 2 years now, replaced the batteries once in the sensor unit. Can adjust sensitivity. Very happy with it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3QINCM/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HFZUKGM

Most folks who have problems dont understand the sensitivity/distance settings and probably dont RTFM

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, but I have a rather ordinary driveway and with a little effort I can dig a trench and bury a wire and avoid the headache of a wireless system.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So which cost-effective sensors might be employed to detect vehicles entering a driveway? Thanks
There are 4 types of sensors that someone could use for this:
  1. An antenna that detects a large metal object, aka vehicle sensing probe or loop detector (buried in the ground), uses the hall effect. Traffic lights often use this type of sensor. Generally more expensive than the other options, discrete, only detects vehicles.
  2. Photoelectric beam (fyi, not a laser) break the beam and sensor triggers. You probably have one on your garage door. Requires something on each side of the driveway, possibly just a reflector on one side.
  3. Specialized PIR or microwave motion detector
  4. Air tube that you drive over

What do you plan on hooking it to? Do you just want a bell or chime to go off in the house? Are you hoping to rig up a phone notification or flag the event on your nvr or in blue iris?

Do you have an alarm system? Adding the sensor as a chime only zone could be an option.

This company makes a wireless driveway sensor that's compatible with many alarm systems: http://resolutionproducts.com/products/environmental/driveway/ discontinued :(, wishing I'd bought one when they were around $30

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay, but I have a rather ordinary driveway and with a little effort I can dig a trench and bury a wire and avoid the headache of a wireless system.
I have two installed at 75ft and 100ft from the receiver through multiple concrete block walls and have had 0 problems. These PIR sensors just work way too well to bother digging a trench imho.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 on @GCoco and @bigredfish 's suggestions.

Inductive loop detectors require a physically sound road bed (such as concrete, AC or asphalt), as once tuned and stable (no-call/no vehicle), any vibration or movement can cause it to lock up for a period of time. Dirt or gravel would NOT be suitable. They do make and sell PVC tubing of 6 ft. x 6 ft. squares and longer-sided rectangles prewired with 3 to 4 turns of wire for drop-in use to be paved over but they are expensive and would take LOTS of prep labor for your situation. The detector amplifier is not cheap either and generally requires a 24VDC power supply. Shielded twisted pair cable has to run from the loop to the amplifier if the amplifier is to be more than 75 feet from the loop.

Unless a quadra-pole loop (figure 8) is used, the circuit can miss high axle vehicles and vehicles with low iron/steel content (like motorcycles with alloy wheels). I don't advise it.