Drone footage of car bomb attacks in Iraq

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for some good sample CCTV footage and I stumbled upon this drone footage.

Reportedly the attackers are using the drone footage as a guide to the suicide drivers.

If you have been following the evolution of the use of drones in the asymmetric middle eastern conflicts, various groups are using COTS ( commercial off the shelf ) tech and hacking together drones to be mini-bombers dropping grenades ( looks like 40mm or perhaps even 60mm mortar bombs / grenades )

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Indeed. I've seen many of those videos on Youtube. But the channel was deleted i guess. It is quite scary as you think of it, because they can / will use them not only in that part of the world....

Those drones are mostly winged drones, quite big ones. And they indeed drop 40mm home improved bombs, and sometimes even real mortars.

The new thing they are trying now, is poison like Ricin.... In germany they arrested a guy that wanted to make a Ricin bomb. He had the materials already at home.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@SkyLake saw a couple of those videos.. this one being the best so far, looks like a IS/ISIL/ISIS PR piece, rather impressive hits ( must have taken a number attempts to get these )

This btw appears to be a Israeli company which posted this video ( there's some good anti-drone tech coming out of Israel )

footage at 1:48 was most impressive, recalling numerous people asking "Well what would you do against tanks!?!?" ( implying anyone with tanks always wins )

Last edited:

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have to say, that they have some accuracy skill in dropping those little bombs, but on the other hand, they sadly have plenty of space and targets to practice on..

I always had R/C planes, heli's and drones, but when i think about the recent technology that i can put into those little flyers, and what they already have on board (Quadcopters), it's frightening.
Telemetry air to ground, where the on screen displays almost look like real fighter jet cockpits. GPS to fly specified waypoints, hold position etc etc.

But still, after all the *what you could possibly do with them thinking* , i like the uav's :D

Having one of those, or at least have a play with the camera's it has, would be a blast.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Scary stuff, I wonder if the tanks/apc's would survive that and be able to protect the occupants.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Scary stuff, I wonder if the tanks/apc's would survive that and be able to protect the occupants.
The small bombs they drop will not harm a tank, except for a situation where the top hatch is open. On the other hand, the people around the tank will probably get hit by the small ball bearings they put inside of those bombs.

For tanks and apc's they mostly use car bombs, either by driving right into them, or by remote. They also used remote controlled trucks, just like a drone... The manually driven car bombs are heavily armored with steel plates welded all around, so that the soldiers cannot shoot them from a distance to stop them. Scary stuff indeed... And even more scary if the front of such a vehicle points right at you at high speed..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The small bombs they drop will not harm a tank, except for a situation where the top hatch is open. On the other hand, the people around the tank will probably get hit by the small ball bearings they put inside of those bombs.

For tanks and apc's they mostly use car bombs, either by driving right into them, or by remote. They also used remote controlled trucks, just like a drone... The manually driven car bombs are heavily armored with steel plates welded all around, so that the soldiers cannot shoot them from a distance to stop them. Scary stuff indeed... And even more scary if the front of such a vehicle points right at you at high speed..
Hi @SkyLake

Some looked like 40mm grenades, and some like the HEDP 40mm round does have a shaped charge in it. Uncertain of the armor penetration on those - yet tanks typically have rather light armor on the top - so there maybe a chance of a penetration there.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When they use a shaped charge, then they will have indeed a big chance to penetrate the armor. Those terrorists like to tinker alot, so i would think that they improve those grenades even more.