Drop users from web site after set amount of time

BrianF

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, here's what I want to accomplish. We have users that connect to the BlueIris web page and then just leave the browser window open. I have users whose Time is listed as days when I check the Blue Iris Status/Connections. I would like to have a way to check the amount of time that a connection has been open and kick the user off. Is there a way to see the Blue Iris Status/Connections information without going into BlueIris and is there a way to drop a connection? I don't see any way to drop a connection on the Blue Iris Status/Connections page, just the option to clear unused connections. I'm hoping that if I drop the connection the browser won't just refresh and reconnect. If I could at least find a way to see the information about who is connected without going to the Blue Iris Status/Connections page I could bug the user with e-mails to get off. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Brian

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can set time limits in the Edit user panel. However I must admit I have not tried these options so I am not entirely sure how they work.

camo

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure how you have Blue Iris webpage setup, but for a normal php using webcam 7 script, I would only allow 5 minutes and redirect page back to home. I just used a meta tag in the head. I'm no longer doing any streams on my weather website but that's how I handled bandwidth hogs when I did. If they kept refreshing they could stay as long as desired.

BrianF

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll give this a try. It won't give me everything I need but if it works then I won't have users online forever.

BrianF

n3wb
Reaction score
Camo, I don't know enough about how the web pages in BlueIris work or php to even begin making any changes. Thank you for the suggestion it may help others.

camo

n3wb
Reaction score
On the webpage itself if you have access using an editor like Notepad ++. Add this meta tag under the </head> everything bold, fill in the correct address. <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="300; URL=http:// web page url to redirect, in this case the home index/index.php"/> (The 300 is 5 minutes you can change that number)

BrianF

n3wb
Reaction score
You can set time limits in the Edit user panel. However I must admit I have not tried these options so I am not entirely sure how they work.
bp2008, I tried setting the Idle time under Time limit for the anonymous user with no success. I set it for 10 minutes and the connection shows 30 minutes and counting. So that doesn't appear to be working the way that it appears it should. Thanks for the suggestion.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Likely the limit does not work for the anonymous user account, particularly if you used an idle time limit instead of a total time limit. Anyway the meta tag solution should work as long as you have a page to redirect to.

BrianF

n3wb
Reaction score
On the webpage itself if you have access using an editor like Notepad ++. Add this meta tag under the </head> everything bold, fill in the correct address. <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="300; URL=http:// web page url to redirect, in this case the home index/index.php"/> (The 300 is 5 minutes you can change that number)
camo, I see what you are suggesting, my problem is that effects all users and I have some that I can't kick off when time runs out on the page. They truly can stay on forever. Surprisingly the ones that can don't. ;-) If I turn on logging it does record the log on and log off of the connections. I'll have to write a script to convert the IP address into a computer name and then a user and using the login time calculate the amount of time the connection has been connected. I don't see that I have a way to kick them off but at least I can send the user an e-mail asking then to disconnect if they are not using the system. And I can e-mail myself to see that they get off.