[ DS-2CD2032-I ]bricked from update from 5.2.5 to 5.3

dioniz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Another situation.

- POE, on POE switch with xx cameras
- TFTP, how since it's connected with POE

It still has IP address I gave it. I can ping it, telnet to it and start ftpd so it's not complete brick.

Any idea how to do firmware flash without TFTP ?

There are some update and upgrade bins in /bin/ folder. How to use them?

Many thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Any idea how to do firmware flash without TFTP
Why can you not use tftp?
This is used automatically by the camera whilst the bootloader is running - even though it may not run when fully booted into the kernel.
If you don't have the Hikvision-specific tftp server (it will not work on normal tftp server), you will find it, and the instructions, in the contents of the download linked in the first post here:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4036-Custom-Firmware-Downgrader-5-3-0-Chinese-to-5-2-5-English

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious Dion...why did you decide to update your camera firmware? What was your motivation?

dioniz

n3wb
Reaction score
Why can you not use tftp?
This is used automatically by the camera whilst the bootloader is running - even though it may not run when fully booted into the kernel.
If you don't have the Hikvision-specific tftp server (it will not work on normal tftp server), you will find it, and the instructions, in the contents of the download linked in the first post here:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4036-Custom-Firmware-Downgrader-5-3-0-Chinese-to-5-2-5-English

It doesn't work if I just plug it to switch where is the camera. I am using "original" tftp server, disabled firewall (windows 10) and antivirus (symantec) but nothing happened. Set it to 192.0.0.128, netmask 255.255.255.0, unplug/plug camera...

I'm curious Dion...why did you decide to update your camera firmware? What was your motivation?
Well, it said "better picture quality" and they don't work nicely with Nuuo Crystal CT-8000R

dioniz

n3wb
Reaction score
I am literally formatting my laptop now and restoring it to original Win 7 state and I'll tell tomorrow the results since it's past midnight here.

Thanks for info.

So, better not to touch firmware on this hikvisions? I have cca 30 of them in property. Learned my lesson.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...So, better not to touch firmware on this hikvisions? I have cca 30 of them in property. Learned my lesson.
Well Alastair (and many others!) certainly know a heckuva lot more than I do. Here's what I think I know: some people upgrade their cameras simply because they think that newer (firmware) is better and I've been guilty of that too. However -- quite often -- one does not need to update firmware, unless one is has confirmed that a firmware update will fix a specific issue which they are experiencing...or has confirmed that a firmware update will enable a new feature which they are in need of. More often than not, users (like me) simply cannot leave well enough alone and they get into trouble as a result. Hikvision cameras are built as either "Chinese Region cameras (look for "CH" in the UI "Serial Number" string) or they are built as "Western Region" cameras (look for "WR" in the UI "Serial Number" string). This string is found by logging into the camera's user interface (UI) and navigating to "Configuration" > "System." This is all a part of Hikvision's marketing "strategy" which, for the life of me, I see as a completely stupid proposition because if Hikvision would simply make their systems universal and hobbyist friendly they'd probably own the world-wide low-end camera market. But that's simply my ignorant opinion...back to facts: when a user attempts to upgrade the firmware of a "Chinese Region" camera with "Western Region" firmware (or vice versa) the result is a bricked camera. For newbies, "bricked" means that your camera no longer has a viable operating system and as a result it is no longer functional. Guys like @CBX (a lot of members hated him...I liked him), @WhoosLooking and @alastairstevenson (God bless them both what a great pair of members!) may be able to help you make your camera functional again. Me? All I can do is document the issue ...and feel bad for you bro.

boohoo.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

acvb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
AND, READ, READ, READ, and Read some more before jumping to newer and greatest firmware. There isn't any greatest firmware for hikvision. ASK here before killing your camera.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Roger that acvb. Some of my Hikvisions are running very old firmware and they function as needed...

(2) Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I @ 3MP > 5.1.6 (CH)
(2) Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I @ 3MP > 5.2.0 (CH)
(1) Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I @ 3MP > 5.1.6 (CH)
(4) Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I @ 3MP > 5.2.5 (CH)
(1) Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I @ 4MP > LTS 5.3.6 (WR)
(2) Hikvision DS-2CD3345-I @ 4MP > 5.3.3 (CH)
(2) Lorex MCNB2151 (DS-2CD2032-I) @ 3MP > 5.1.6 (WR)
(4) Swann SWNHD-820CAM (DS-2CD2032-I) @ 3MP > 5.1.6 (WR)

Here...I just found an image from one of my old Hikvisions running firmware 5.1.6...

Attachments