DS-2CD2042WD activate/password problem

waluso

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought a "new" DS-2CD2042WD-I on Amazon. When I hooked it up I never got an activation screen through the browser and SADP says active. It's running 5.3.3_150630. From what it can tell it's the international version (BBWR in serial number?). I tried "12345" and "123456789abc" as the password and neither work. Any suggestions? I already asked the amazon vendor but have yet to hear back from them. I also sent email to Hik asking for a code to reset the password through SADP but have not received a reply yet either. The (red and white) box has a mfg date of 10/2015

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Isn't there a Hik sticker on the side of red/white box? Lower right side of that sticker on mine has default IP address and username/password.

waluso

n3wb
Reaction score
The sticker has No password. I think with the new firmware it forces you to set one to activate it. Since mine is activated this is a problem.

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
try to use the reset button on the back of the camera, should reset it back to 12345 (unplug->hold reset button->plug back in->let go of button after like 10 secs) SADP should show 192.0.0.64 after it reset.

Your second option is to use TFTP to reflash the firmware onto it, which will default the camera.

waluso

n3wb
Reaction score
I already tried to reset the camera with the button. The default IP for this camera is 192.168.1.64. I can't tell if the reset is working but after reseting with the button the password is not 12345.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could try a1234567 and 123456789abc - I've had some that were already set to those

If try too many times you get locked out - just reboot the cam to clear it

waluso

n3wb
Reaction score
SOLVED:

It seems that if the camera comes up and can access the internet directly (the default IP happens to be able to get to the internet) it disables the ability to activate the camera either through SADP or the camera's web interface. I reset the camera and noticed through SADP security went to inactive temporarily then back to active. I isolated the camera on a network with only the pc and the camera, reset again, and the security went and stayed inactive. I was then able to activate and set the password through the camera web interface (probably through the new SADP also but it did not work the first time i tried it). Thanks for everyone's help!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that's very strange. How confident are you of the cause / effect?
I don't think we've heard about such unusual behaviour so far on this forum.
Surely it can't be some weird region check based on the source IP of your LAN?
If so that would be pretty bad behaviour on Hikvision's part.
What next - disable / brick the device remotely?
You can see I'm getting a bit paranoid about these silly tricks.

We've noticed that the Hikvision USA ftp site is now blocked to IP addresses from outside the USA. @Stevejn - what did you find out about the tftp updater tool being removed from the Hikvision Europe sites?
Anything you can share or speculation you can contradict would be welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

waluso

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried this for hours yesterday with the camera always showing activated. This camera was not on my NVR but directly connected to my internet router (with a 12v power plug instead of PoE) which happens to have the same/very common private network 192.168.1.0/24. The vendor asked me about the home network subnet, which lead me down the line of reasoning. If the factory defaulted camera were to power on, port map a connection from outside the router to itself on port 80 (port mapping on by default on the camera) and sit there anyone on the open internet could connect to it for the first time and set the password. I can see that would be a bad thing. I would call this a bug but i suspect Hik would call it a security feature. I don't know why they switched to 192.168.1/24 instead of the old 192.0.0/24 subnet. I am sure there is some logic there but I don't have a good guess.

The potential issue should be simple to reproduce.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I actually think 192.168.1.0/24 is a step forward as it's RFC 1918.

BUT I don't think the camera should start trying to register with EZVIZ and other online services unless you turn them on. That's bad from a privacy standpoint in my view.

Reaction score
Sorry if this is wrong place or other reason, this is first time on here. Ive got the exact same problem, my camera is already activated so cannot change settings or ip, and password is not default out of box. So my question is-was your cameara a chinese version, as im woried that if i reset my cam it will revert back to chinese language. Any help appreciated.

waluso

n3wb
Reaction score
Mine was not the Chinese version. I don't know if resetting with the button would revert it to Chinese. It does not make sense that it would but I don't know. Someone else here surly does.

stoney7713

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just ran into a similar issue, my default gateway is not the same as the camera's settings, couldn't change it using the SADP and any of the old default passwords. Had to change my network settings and set a default password on the camera first.

I have another camera, I'm going to try and leave the p/w field blank and see if I can change the gateway. I'll update after I give it a try.

Reaction score
I just ran into a similar issue, my default gateway is not the same as the camera's settings, couldn't change it using the SADP and any of the old default passwords. Had to change my network settings and set a default password on the camera first.

I have another camera, I'm going to try and leave the p/w field blank and see if I can change the gateway. I'll update after I give it a try.
Ive managed to sort my problem, as the camera was already activated, the password had already been set. Trouble was, it wasnt set to the default 12345, it was 123456789abc, i dont know why, ive got 4 of these & they were all set as 12345.