DS-2CD2083G0-I live view freezes, lags, delays

MATORAX

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello community!

I bought a HikVision DS-2CD2083G0-I camera and some other equipment about one month ago to create my first surveillance system for my house and since then I'm having a problem with live view from this camera.

Every time I try to take a look at the live view in my browser (IE) when camera resolution is set to 4K I'm getting freezes, lags, delays (whatever you name that). I'm getting fluent video for two or three seconds and then those freezes appear. Sometimes the view stops for about 10 seconds or longer and I can only see one still image (time on OSD also stops for that amount of seconds). The live view often works like in slow motion - one second lasts much longer than it should.

Here you can see all the things that I have in my system with their config:

HikVision DS-2CD2083G0-I Camera Firmware: V5.5.51 build 180314
Connected to switch: TP-Link TL-SG1008P Switch 8x10/100/1000 Mbps PoE
Switch is connected to Ubiquiti NanoBeam 5AC Gen2 (mode: Station PtP) - connection speed reaches about 300 Mb/s between station and access point and almost never goes down for a little bit.

Camera settings:
Stream Type: Main Stream(Normal)
Video Type: Video Stream
Resolution: 3840*2160
Bitrate Type: Constant
Video Quality: Highest
Frame Rate: 15 fps
Max. Bitrate: 8192 Kbps
Video Encoding: H.265
H.265+: OFF
Profile: Main Profile
I Frame Interval: 50
SVC: OFF
Smoothing: 1

HikVision DS-7608NI-K2 NVR Firmware: V3.4.101 build 180904
Hard disk: WD PURPLE 1TB WD10PURZ SATA III 64MB
Connected to switch: TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24x10/100/1000 Mbps
My computer is also connected to this switch.
Switch is connected to Ubiquiti NanoBeam 5AC Gen2 (mode: Access Point PtP)

NVR Settings:
Stream Type: Main Stream(Normal)
Video Type: Video Stream
Resolution: 3840*2160
Bitrate Type: Constant
Video Quality: Highest
Max. Bitrate: 8192 Kbps
Video Encoding: H.265
H.265+: OFF

All cables are CAT.5E and none of them is longer than 20m. My computer can handle 4K videos (i7-2600K, GTX1080Ti, 12GB RAM).

I don't know what to do, because I've already tried to factory reset the camera and NVR, update the firmware for both of them, change settings and it still doesn't work as it should, so I can only look at the live view from second stream with low resolution without this problem.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My computer can handle 4K videos (i7-2600K, GTX1080Ti, 12GB RAM).
If you export a video segment from the NVR and watch it on the PC, do you get the same lag/freezing/OSD jumps on the recording?
If not, that would suggest the NVR and camera are working OK and it's a PC/browser/plugin issue.

How does the video look via the HDMI/VGA interface?

MATORAX

n3wb
Reaction score
When I export a video and watch it on the PC it looks almost good. Almost, because sometimes frame rate seems to be lower than 15 fps and sometimes (but not often) those freezes also appear but for 1-2 seconds max so I can wave to camera with my arm and I can see a freeze while doing it. Another example - if I would run fast in the camera range (near to it) it sometimes wouldn't see me at all. It seems that some of the frames are missing. So, video exported from the NVR looks better but not good enough (I think so). When I play a recording on the NVR itself via the HDMI it looks same as watched on PC. Same thing can be observed while watching the live view on the NVR - video doesn't lag so much and often but it lags and jumps anyway.

All devices in my network support gigabit ethernet, so I think that it shouldn't be a network issue but who knows?

PS: I can watch 4K 60fps Youtube videos without any lags or jumps on my computer.

Last edited:

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try updating WebComponents to 3.0.6.43. Close IE 11 first and install it as admin. Also if you have Intel integrated graphics try updating the driver. Keep us posted.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
so you have lags/dropouts viewing live and recorded on the NVR.

How about if you browse directly to the cam's IP from IE? (you may need to enable virtual host on your NVR or assign a static route to the NVR's internal NIC addresses on your router in order to do this.)

such a test would confirm or eliminate the NVR as the bottleneck...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
you might also try reverting to h.264 encoding. h.265 may not be ready for prime-time...

MATORAX

n3wb
Reaction score
Try updating WebComponents to 3.0.6.43.
My WebComponents version is 3.0.6.46 - I couldn't find an official link to 3.0.6.43 version on the Internet.

Also if you have Intel integrated graphics try updating the driver.
I don't have integrated graphics card in my computer. I have only one graphics card - GTX1080Ti.

so you have lags/dropouts viewing live and recorded on the NVR.

How about if you browse directly to the cam's IP from IE?
My camera has a static IP assigned to it in my network, so I don't need to do anything else (same thing goes with my NVR). Biggest lags/dropouts appear when I watch the live stream directly from the camera IP. When I watch the live stream via HDMI connection from my NVR, then the lags/dropouts appear less frequently and last for max 1-2 seconds as I said in my posts above.

you might also try reverting to h.264 encoding. h.265 may not be ready for prime-time...
I will try to do that and keep you informed about results.

@StewartM, @pozzello
Reverting from h.265 to h.264 was the best advice so far - the video stream is still not perfect but those lags/drops now appear just from time to time (not so often as they used to). Can you tell me why did it help? I would like to know what is wrong with h.265 that it can cause such problems. Also, if you have some other advice, which can help making my stream as fluent as it can be, please feel free to contribute.

Last edited:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I Frame Interval: 50

you might try a more frequent i-frame interval. As it is, you're getting a full I-frame only every 3-1/3 seconds.
At iframe interval 15 (matching your frame rate), you'll have one every 1 sec or so...

each frame BETWEEN i-frames is really just an incremental change from the previous frame,
so the longer you go without a new full i-frame, the further away from 'reality', until the next i frame
'resets' the picture. thus, more frequent i-frames may improve the 'smoothness' of the video...

MATORAX

n3wb
Reaction score
I've updated the firmware for both devices and set I Frame Interval to 15. The stream smoothness is acceptable now because the lags/drops which I can experience last for less than a second.

Searay

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Max bit rate seems low
My 3MP PTZ's @ 2048 X 1536 look terrible below 10000Kbps
Normally between 17342~21289 Kbps

MATORAX

n3wb
Reaction score
My NVR can accept only 16384 Kbps on single channel - there is no way to go higher in settings. I changed the bitrate to 16384 Kbps yesterday and there is no difference in lagging, because those lags/drops still appear from time to time. Maybe overall image quality is a little bit better but that's all.

Searay

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
mine also is limited to 16384 But actually shows a higher number in live view when moving mouse over the information icon at bottom of each channel.

In my former life when video paused or pixilated the bandwidth was inadequate. looking at the 5ac connection rate of 300 mbps I would run a temporary cat XX cable and see what happens.

The IE problem you mentioned Is that 1 or multiple live view cameras.