DS-2CD2125FWD-I power fault

AndyB

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi folks,
So I've just installed a large setup all Hikvision, mainly using DS-2CD2125FWD-I cameras. All powered from PoE either from the back of the NVR (DS-7732NI-K4/16P) or via a separate PoE switch to add more than 16 cameras to the setup.

All worked great for a week, then one went off. Client was making other changes and rebooted the NVR, and then they only have 8 or 9 cameras working. This one including all cameras ABOVE IT on the NVR ports were off, and the NVR not supplying power.
I went onsite and disconnected this camera, all other PoE ports came on, so assumed it was a fault on the port causing it to withdraw power and not power up the rest on the NVR (Odd behaviour as i'd expect one camera to stop power to one port, not all above it, but perhaps its a protection/method they are powered).
Taking the camera down and bringing it alongside the NVR, using a 0.5metre known moulded CAT5, same problem, PoE gets applied, large draw of power observed then it cuts power to the port.
I then did the same on the PoE separate network switch, same behaviour, power then it gets withdrawn as it goes over current. At the same time the camera IR lights briefly come on then it makes a slight electrical squeal before it goes off.

To me, this looks like a failed camera. I had a spare with me so plugged this into the existing cable run to where the camera was installed, this came on and worked fine (I checked cable run prior to plugging in obviously!).
Camera seemed faulty.

Sent it back to UK supplier (They insisted on it back first, they test before replacement, etc) and they sat on it for almost 2 weeks and now coming back to me saying:
"..We have had this camera powered up on test for a while now.
Your report of the camera causing network switches to shutdown was quite disconcerting, however after this time no such issue has arisen.
The camera appears to work perfectly with IR mode operating correctly without sign of electrical noises..."

Which now has me puzzled. No doubt I'm going to be out of pocket on this escapade now with this supplier (Am now looking to change trade supplier) but has anyone had similar with a faulty camera doing this then magically fixing itself after being delivered elsewhere?

Just any hints/ideas whilst I await what they decide to do.

AndyB

n3wb
Reaction score
Literally the moment I've posted this I've had a further update

"...Coincidentally, as you email response came through I moved the camera to another source (a 77series NVR) and sure enough I see the IR lights start flickering, I now move it back to the POE switch on our test bay, where it has been operating fine and this time the issue is prevalent here also.

I'll get a replacement on its way..."

So looks like it has quite an intermittent fault!