DS-2CD2132 w/2.8 mm -> Poor nightime images

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having a difficult time with my DS-2CD2132 installation. I originally had a DS-2CD2532, and replaced it with the 2132, since I needed the 2532 for another application where an inconspicuous install was beneficial.

I have the DS-2CD2132 mounted with a Hik wall mount, and mechanically the install is fine. In the daytime, I noticed that the image was not as sharp relative to the 2532. At night, however, the image with the IR illuminators on is pretty washed out, mainly due to IR glare. I confirmed this by running without the dome as a test. Hopefully the gurus in this forum can shed some light on my dilemma:

1. I have the 2.8 mm lens on my DS-2CD2132 and noticed that the inner row of IR LEDs is totally blocked by the foam ring. Is this contributing to the IR glare? I though I read somewhere that Hik had changed the design of the foam ring to alleviate this... Or is this true only for 4 mm and above?

2. I don't think the foam ring is sitting very tight against the dome. The high tilt angle of the lens that is needed for my installation is probably not helping either. I tried "fluffing" the foam a bit, but I don't think it is effective. Anybody have a source for "replacement foam"?

3. I had assumed that since the 2132 and 2532 had the same lens and 3 MP sensor, the image quality should be the same, right? Based on my limited experience (on 2 samples) this does not appear to be the case. Is there a way I can correct the soft focus I'm seeing on the 2132?

4. If I can't get my issues resolved, I might upgrade to a DS-2CD2732. Should I expect better image quality? I'm concerned that the vari-focal lens might not be as sharp as the fixed focal lens in the 2132/2532...

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Clean the dome inside and out real good, no fingerprints. Hikvision domes in general as prone to IR bleed if the dome is dirty.

riri7707

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep,
I had exactly the same issues at the beginning.
And this excellent document from HIK explains all things :

However, I didn't solved 100% my issues until I didn't replace the foams (probably due to long time storage from manufacturer side, where they seem to me too compressed once the dome opened and closed after settings).
Finally it's quite easy, don't need to be an artist, just to find more thick foam ( I painted my cams in Brown for discrete view from outside (camouflage :) under my roof:

here you can see on left the roginal and right homemade, but since no more issues:

This is my first try, looking is not too precise and finetune, so please be indulgent...
But it really works.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by a moderator:

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
riri7707 can you tell us a little more about what you used to replace the foam ring?

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the helpful advice!

After cleaning the dome with a microfiber cloth and optical cleaning solution, the IR bleed appears to be under control. I was aware of the importance of a clean dome from reading posts in this forum, as well as the Hik technical bulletin, but I was more focused over the foam ring not making contact with the dome, since there was no visible signs of dirt on the dome, so I'm pleasantly surprised:)

I'm still puzzled over the foam ring completely covering the inner circle of IR LEDs. Is this a design flaw specific to the 2.8 mm lens that was later corrected by Hikvision? My 2132 has a 2714 date code...

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
riri7707 - I like your solution, I was soliciting input along those lines. It was going to be my plan B if the cleaning of the dome did not work out.
What lens do you have?

riri7707

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2.8 mm lens the more critical as the lens is like a bottle neck with a large opening.
So for others lens (4/8mm) will be ok too without any problems
I found this foam from a shop to build my flight cases.
It's not expensive at all

original provided by HIK glued in the cam : 3mm thick
the one i use : 5,50 mm thick

I never told the one provided by HIK is not good, but as you open the dome to turn the cam for settings, the foam stay conpressed and of course doesn't apply correctly after to the plastic of the dome, once you close it.

I think this issue is not for all fixed domes, but more for some we were stocked on special conditions and becomes hard and not extensible and flexible as it must to be.

So I made a very quick rush test using a thik one to check and for me this is the good solution .

Foam must to be compact and black mate.

Hope this helps.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I have 2432, 2332 & 2532 all with 2.8mm, 2332 has slight edge over 2532 in terms of IQ, (appears, sharper, cleaner) especially at night due to better IR. 2432 is somewhere in between. In my experience, avoid cams with those small LEDs, LEDs start to dim down after a few month use. My 2532 is practically unusable for night vision.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, it needs to touch the inside of the dome or faceplate (for bullets) to be effective.
the whole point is to prevent any light (visible or IR) from coming in from the INSIDE...

Reaction score
I have 2/4/6 mm lences on my domes, will the 2mm foam be sufficient for these lences or the higher lenses i will have to increase the foam thickness