DS-2CD2232-I5 Won't allow configuration

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When running SADP I can see my camera at 192.168.1.64 and all the information about it.. however I cannot make any changes to it or connect to it. I've tried TFTP and it will initialize however, it will not go any further than that. I tried to update the firmware when all this happened. Any help is appreciated. Is there anyone you can send these to, to fix... I'm not sure it is a OEM device.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not much info to go on.

Is it brand new? If so you must first make sure your computer is on the same subnet as the camera IP address. If you are you should be able to enter the IP address in you search bar which will direct you to change the password. After that SADP will allow you to change the IP address of the camera.

If it is not new what happened that you need at access it with SADP?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) What is the IP of the PC running SDAP ?
2) Did you enter the password for the camera ?
3) Who did you buy the camera from ?
4) When did you buy the camera ?
5) have you tried to access the camera via internet explore or Palemoon 32 bit ?

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is about a year old and I updated the firmware and after that it wouldn't reboot. I tried the password I originally added as well as tried to use a few more that were suggested like 12345, 12345abc and so on. The camera was purchased from AliExpress. I've tried IE, Chrome, Mozilla, Firefox. have not tried Palemoon32.. Will give that a shot.

So far I can see it on SDAP and Batch Configuration.

Not much info to go on.

Is it brand new? If so you must first make sure your computer is on the same subnet as the camera IP address. If you are you should be able to enter the IP address in you search bar which will direct you to change the password. After that SADP will allow you to change the IP address of the camera.

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not much info to go on.

It's on the same subnet, after updating firmware, it would not boot. Used SDAP to search it out. As well as try to get back into the device as it would not connect via IE or other browsers using 192,168.1.64... also tried to change IP to 192.168.0.64 and would not work even with password attempt. SDAP would fail.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So far I can see it on SDAP and Batch Configuration.
What does SADP show for the firmware version? If it's 4.0.8 then it's running in 'min-system recovery mode' due to an incompatible firmware update, or other problem.
Does SADP show the camera as Active or Inactive?
What does SADP show for the serial number, in particular the group of 4 upper-case letters?

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What does SADP show for the firmware version? If it's 4.0.8 then it's running in 'min-system recovery mode' due to an incompatible firmware update, or other problem.
What does SADP show for the serial number, in particular the group of 4 upper-case letters?
You hit the nail right on the head. It says 4.0.8 and it does say ACTIVE.
The serial number CCRR is what I think you are referring to.

Thank you!

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It says 4.0.8 and it does say ACTIVE.
The camera is in a semi-bricked state, running minimum services, awaiting recovery actions.
In this state, SADP and the Batch Configuration Tool will find it, you can ping it, but no web services.

There are several ways to proceed.
A simple way toy start is the '@whoslooking 5.3.0 to 5.2.5 downgrader' from here : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English
The tftp updater, instructions, and firmware are in the second dropbox link.

A way to convert the camera to English region and update to the newest firmware is via the 'Enhanced MTD hack' or the brickfixV2 method from here : R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.
Lots of people have done this, it works pretty well once you understand the process.

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The camera is in a semi-bricked state, running minimum services, awaiting recovery actions.
In this state, SADP and the Batch Configuration Tool will find it, you can ping it, but no web services.
I've tried using the tftp updater and other than the first initialize line it will not go any further. I've set my subnet to used 192.0.0.128, as well as tried other IPs as my unit shows it's on 192.168.1.64. I've tried, 192.168.1.128. No matter what I set my subnet to I can't get the tftp to as the process.

I've tried this on two different computers with no luck. I will give it another attempt or two. Is there anyone that I could send it to that works on these just incase I fail?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The Hikvision tftp updater is troublesome when :
The PC and camera are directly connected, ie not each are wired to a switch or router port.
The camera is powered over PoE as opposed to a 12v power supply.
The Windows firewall is blocking inbound access to the PC from the camera probes.
Usually when first running the tftp updater, there will be a Windows firewall popup asking if it's Ok to allow inbound access. A click on OK should be enough to set the rule.
Win10 can be a bit troublesome too, as well as when running Windows in a VM with a bridged virtual adaptor.
It's also possible a seller has messed with the environment variable that set the 192.0.0.64 initial IP address for probing.

Suggestion:
At a command prompt, use 'ping -t 192.0.0.64' and check you get 2 or 3 responses at power on.
If you have a telnet client (eg PuTTY - Download PuTTY: latest release (0.70)) see if you can get a connection to the 192.168.1.64 address that SADP shows after power up, with the PC set to a compatible address.

Is there anyone that I could send it to that works on these just incase I fail?
Depends on where you are based ...

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Hikvision tftp updater is troublesome when :
The PC and camera are directly connected, ie not each are wired to a switch or router port.
QUOTE]

Have been able to firmware, first part now with work on it when I get home. Thanks so much! Information about connection to switch /routher was key.

Thanks

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Finally I got it up and running. Found a win 7 computer that helped. I still don’t know if I have the latest firmware on the device. That would be nice. Thanks so much!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally I got it up and running.
Great - no longer bricked.
I still don’t know if I have the latest firmware on the device.
What does SADP now show for the firmware version? If you used the 'downgrader' it will be 5.2.5 An old version, but a good start point.
The latest for R0 cameras is 5.4.41

But - what is now showing as the 4 upper-case letters in the serial number in SADP?
If those are CCCH then the camera is a China region version and will need the 'enhanced MTD hack' to convert to English before being able to be upgraded to the latest firmware.

This method will take you though that :
Unbrick and fully upgrade your R0 / DS-2CD2x32 IP cameras -
R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great - no longer bricked.

What does SADP now show for the firmware version? If you used the 'downgrader' it will be 5.2.5 An old version, but a good start point.
The latest for R0 cameras is 5.4.41

Model DS-2CD2232-I5
Serial No. DS-2CD2232-I520150424CCCH514230330
Firmware Version V5.2.0 build 140721
Encoding Version V5.0 build 140714

But - what is now showing as the 4 upper-case letters in the serial number in SADP?
If those are CCCH then the camera is a China region version and will need the 'enhanced MTD hack' to convert to English before being able to be upgraded to the latest firmware.

Yes it is a CCH, I might give it a shot to upgrade.

This method will take you though that :
Unbrick and fully upgrade your R0 / DS-2CD2x32 IP cameras -
R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.
I actually tried this and ran into an area or two that I didn't understand, there is a DAV file that looked like the original that I don't have and the other was an issue of file access denial for creating the MOD file. I think I ended up doing a mix of both processes. The big issue was Putty and TFTP didn't want to play together and create the files needed.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Was able to get up to 5.4.41. I did see they have a .45. Not sure if that is safe or not.
That's perfect, 5.4.41 is the latest firmware, the one Hikvision say fixes the backdoor vulnerability, and probably the last version for that camera series.
Well done!

So you've gone from a camera that was bricked and sitting on the shelf to a fully working device.
Good result, it's what this forum is all about.