DS-2CD2325FWD-I 2MP Ultra-Low Light Network Turret Camera

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I ordered both the 2mp and 3mp 12mm versions, they have to get them from hikvision so processing it taking a while.

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Was looking at ordering some. A few sellers claim they or genuine international/English version. There shouldn't be a problem in updating them?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I expect performance to be quite similar to the Dahua fixed lens Starlights, but Hik has yet to announce a Varifocal model that compares to the dahua turret.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nayr, I've got the 2mp Starlight varifocal and have found the image quality during the day isn't what I was expecting. I'm wondering if it's because a decent quality zoom lens is a lot harder/ more expensive to make than a fixed lens? Your review of the varifocal vs the fixed lens model showed similar results in the daytime shots.

I also noticed this morning the image appears to be worse in the areas in bright sunlight (out of focus looking/ noisy?) I don't know if it's a noise related problem (sensor gain too high) or what the cause is. I had a play around with the gain and it didn't improve things. Areas in the shade have a lot better detail. Strange. I've found the in built IR is also not the best if you've got around a 90 degree FOV with the outer edge of the shot being very dark. I'm going to set it up next to one of my Hikvision 4mp cameras and compare the two this week.

Was looking at ordering some. A few sellers claim they or genuine international/English version. There shouldn't be a problem in updating them?
I was looking at some of the adverts on AE last night. The prices between the 2mp and 3mp are virtually the same, I was wondering if the wording on the adverts could be the give away between a hacked Chinese firmware vs a proper Engish firmware from the factory ("English firmware" vs "English International model")? As far as updating firmware I don't know how you would go. There are a lot of posts on here with Hikvision hacks, but I haven't looked into them.

I'm not expecting a huge range of options to be available locally in Australia. They do list the two as "new" on the Aussie website so that's a good start.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sounds like you need to play with the WDR settings; too much really hurts the image quality.. these cameras are very sensitive to light so your envionment may require tweaking/tuning for best performance..

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've found through ebay, amazon, and ali, as long as the seller lists them as "original english" or "overseas" "international version" or "firmware upgradable" that it's always been an international model. Stick to sellers who have lots of positive feedback and you should be fine.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, it's a calculated risk. If I buy locally there's a 3 year warranty and the company is really good with after-sales service. I should have some prices tomorrow.

Nayr, I've played around a lot with the settings (including WDR) and am having trouble finding a solution. It's night here now, so I'll set it up for best vision in the dark and see how it goes tomorrow in the sunlight. (It's the 2nd week of Autumn here- so lots of sun and 34 degrees C forecasted.) What sort of exposure speeds are you running at night? I've been setting my Hikvisions to 1/25th to avoid motion blur and would like the run the same on the Starlight. It seems to default to really slow speeds well before it's dark (going by the motion blur I've observed.) The Hikvisions are locked in colour and I have supplemented LED lighting- they do a fairly good job. That's where I'm planning on running the Starlight to do direct comparisons.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Move to South Australia- we can't guarantee you will have power to run your cameras but the weather should be okay. :mad:

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Aussie supplier is having trouble getting prices for the 2 and 3MP versions of these cameras. Apparently even though they're advertised on the Hiksivion Australia website they're not actually for sale yet!?!

(I feel sorry for the local retailer when they're not only trying to compete with cheaper sellers O/S, but they also can't source the latest models).

Quick! Where is this weather, please send it Sydney way. My SD59225U-HNI is stuck in the spare room on my test rig awaiting installation but with all this bloody rain, impossible!
That's an impressive camera. I think my neighbours got upset when they saw my smallish turret cams, I would love to see their faces with something like that obviously tracking their movements!

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I feel sorry for the local retailer when they're not only trying to compete with cheaper sellers O/S
Competing with overseas is a race to the bottom, their focus should be on selling you their local warranty and support. After dealing with an unnamed supplier and realising that the added cost for buying local meant nothing was more than happy to take a bet with Andy, glad I did.

That's an impressive camera. I think my neighbours got upset when they saw my smallish turret cams, I would love to see their faces with something like that obviously tracking their movements!
Yup, go big or go home! If anyone is unhappy they are always free to spend the money on setting up their own so they don't feel left out, you're protecting your own property and there is nothing illegal about that. Installed the PTZ yesterday and have yet to setup auto tracking, but yes will be interesting to see :).

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I bought my basic set up (NVR + 4 cameras) from this local supplier and he's been very helpful with some problems I've had (plus there's the 3 year warranty.) So I don't mind paying a bit extra for that coverage. He's still trying to get prices for me but even said he understands if I purchase the camera elsewhere.

I've also chatted to Andy a bit and he's very helpful - even though I haven't purchased anything from him yet. I rather stick with Hikvision for the compatibility with my NVR- I've got my one Dahua cam working, but it's not as "user friendly" as the Hikvision cameras.

I'd be concerned people would think I had some sort of drug lab with a camera that big!? :D There was a story on the local news about a guy who has been caught and the first footage they showed of his house was some big PTZ cams set up around the house. Then there was a 60yo widower who had a person break into her house- she had a couple of cameras and it's made me wonder if people assume you've got some sort of illegal activity going on if you have a camera set up. I put mine up after a neighbour mentioned some shady character was casing out their cars and looking in the windows in the early hours.

So far I've only discovered that we've got a resident fox that visits regularly (in suburban Adelaide.)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
15 years ago anyone who had cameras up was a drug dealer; but now they got cheap and easy enough anyone can have em... my grandma wants some security cameras.

internet news does alot; social networks like nextdoor make you aware of things you were oblivious too

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've ordered two of the 3MP version DS-2CD2335FWD-I Ultra-Low Light Turret - 1 x 6mm and 1 x 12mm.

Having varifocal would have been nice, but I feel the fixed lens (in this price range) gives better image quality. They also miss out on the microphone compare to the Dahua- although there is the dome version which has an audio input.

With my Hikvision NVR on Continuous Record I get "Smart" motion detections flag on my Hikvision cameras which are easy to skim through. I can't get the same sort of notifications using the Dahua- otherwise the Dahua fixed lens 2MP Starlight would have interested me more.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
US$145 ea with delivery via DHL. Cheaper than my Dahua 2MP Starlight (varifocal model with microphone.)

I forgot to mention earlier the Australian Hikvision distributor has pulled the 2MP and 3MP Ultra-low Light models from their site and said they're a Chinese only model and won't be sold here! :confused:

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think Hikvision has been cracking down on it? Also, the Hikvision turrets aren't varifocal, which would explain the cheaper price. We also don't know how they perform yet, so the fewer dollars might be appropriate after tests are run ;).