DS-2CD2332 changing password on its own

spotco2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an older DS-2CD2332 with v5.2.0 14072 (all English but purchased from China) and CCH in the serial number that randomly will not connect due to it's password being incorrect. I can use the tool here to easily reset the password and it works great. Sometimes it continues to work for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks before I have to reset it again.

I'm happy with the camera when it works and see no reason to change it until it is completely dead. I have other Hikvision cameras on the same network with no issues.

Could this be a firmware or software issue with the camera? It worked fine for a very long time and only recently started doing this last year.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Could this be a firmware or software issue with the camera? It worked fine for a very long time and only recently started doing this last year.
It's very likely being hacked due to inbound access from the internet being allowed.
Next time it happens, try 1111aaaa or asdf1234 for the password.
If that works, it will confirm it, these are commonly used by the hackbots.

Have you set up port forwarding so you can access the camera remotely?
If so - that puts your LAN, the devices on it and their data at serious risk of being compromised with a camera that has the Hikvision backdoor vulnerability.
Best not to do that - check out how to set up a VPN remote access solution instead. Lots of 'how-tos' and user experiences on the forum.

If you have not set up port forwarding - the camera could be doing it itself if UPnP is enabled in your router.
First check what ports are open using the 'full port scan' from ShieldsUp! here :

Then disable UPnP in the router, and also in the camera.
Restart the router and re-check for open ports using ShieldsUp! again.

spotco2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the response.

I've tried those passwords before when it happened and they did not work.

I do not have port forwarding enabled on anything on our home network. I ran the scan and it said it was rejected, so I guess we are good there.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You likely have an older firmware. I believe anything 5.3.0 and below have this issue where the camera will "forget" it's password. They even have the issue where it forgets the date and changes it to a 1-1-1970 date. Upgrade it to firmware 5.4.0 and up and that should fix it.

spotco2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes. Ensure you have it disabled in your router as well.
It was checked on the router as well. Will unchecking this on the router have any negative effects on connecting devises on my network in the future?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Also check what ports are now open on the router and close any not needed. Unchecking the UPnP on the router and cam usually doesn't change what's already been opened up on the router. Just stops opening from there forward.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You likely have an older firmware. I believe anything 5.3.0 and below have this issue where the camera will "forget" it's password. They even have the issue where it forgets the date and changes it to a 1-1-1970 date.
That's the Hikvision backdoor vulnerability and UPnP on by default and the internet messing with it, changing the password, defaulting the configuration etc etc.
Upgrade it to firmware 5.4.0 and up and that should fix it.
Many of the R0 series in use are Chinese cameras with hacked firmware.
There is a good chance any firmware update would brick it, unless it has been permanently converted to EN from CN.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I ran the scan and it said it was rejected, so I guess we are good there.
I've not seen ShieldsUp! say that before - normally the result is a vulnerability assessment.
You WILL have had open ports, based on the UPnP status in the camera and router and the password issues.

Then disable UPnP in the router, and also in the camera.
Restart the router and re-check for open ports using ShieldsUp! again.
Best to restart the router to flush any settings no longer wanted.

spotco2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've not seen ShieldsUp! say that before - normally the result is a vulnerability assessment.
You WILL have had open ports, based on the UPnP status in the camera and router and the password issues.

Best to restart the router to flush any settings no longer wanted.

Attachments

spotco2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also check what ports are now open on the router and close any not needed. Unchecking the UPnP on the router and cam usually doesn't change what's already been opened up on the router. Just stops opening from there forward.
I honestly do not know how to do that.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I ran the scan and it said it was rejected, so I guess we are good there.
You ran the wrong test, you ran the UPnP test, not the full port scan.
First check what ports are open using the 'full port scan' from ShieldsUp! here :
It's history now anyway, you've shut down the inbound access that you didn't know existed.
Hopefully the "changing password problem" will also be history.

spotco2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, it appears that around 4am this morning I lost the camera again. Now SADP tool can not even see the camera.