DS-2CD2332-I time issues

mccltd

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been setting up my DS-2CD2332-I this weekend but every time I log into it the time has changed or the time zone has changed.
I'm running firmware vers: 5.2.

Also when using the time.windows.com server is won't connect.

Anybody else having this issue?

aham

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I had the same problem with my DS-2CD2332-I and DS-2CD2132-I (both with the 5.1.6 fw) and I ultimately switched off the 'ntp' and 'DST' features and started using 'Manual Time Sync.'

For ntp I was using one of the
pool.ntp.org hosts and testing the time sync *did* work. But the system time kept changing (by 1 or 2 hours).
I thought it might be caused by interference with my PCNVR (iVMS-4200 PCNVR).

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine did that too. I set time sync up to all of them, so the times on screen would match (some were off by 10-20secs) was running perfect initially; but now they're all running an hour behind. Guess I need to double check settings.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just took an additional moment to look over the settings. Mine were manual, but off by 5-20-30secs between cams, then set to automatic, which meant they all synced, but then jumped off an hour.

This may help ... just found a DST tab :)

Web interface > Configuration > Advanced Configuration > System

> Time Settings
Check your Time Zone.
Select NTP sync.
Mine is set to the default of: time.windows.com -- ntp port: 123 -- interval: 1440

Then note tab #5 (on my cam with 5.1.6)

> DST

USA:

[V] Enable DST
Start time MAR SECOND SUN 2:00
End Time NOV FIRST SUN 2:00
DST Bias: 60min

Europe:

[V] Enable DST
Start time MAR LAST SUN 2:00
End Time OCT LAST SUN 2:00

Others:
See google ;)

You can probably do this via iVMS (and maybe a regular NVR) via remote configuration as well. I'm just not near my system at the moment. What would be nice is, if one could set this up once in iVMS and copy the time settings to all the cameras.

Note: After applying DST the time jumped one hour ahead of real time (deep sigh etc) figured maybe it had to reboot to get it right, crossing fingers, one reboot (advanced config > maintenance > reboot) correct time.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The old reboot to save config trick.. had me stumped.
Thanks!

mccltd

n3wb
Reaction score
I now have mine set to manual time sync with DST off and it works fine.
But I have now changed my time zone to the correct one and done what you have done above ice rabbit. This time for a change the NTP worked and didn't fail but as you the time jumped ahead an hour.
Did a reboot and its still an hr fast.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oct? You mean Nov?
Reversing the order seems to work.
When they first come back from boot they may need a minute or 2 to update.

2zrzsj5.jpg

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reboot

The reboot seems to force a time check. Otherwise the camera will not check the time till its internal routine reaches the interval time point. 1440min = 24hrs.

Start & stop time

Now the inverting the start & stop has me stumped. With DST ON, start MAR, End NOV, Offset 60min, Reboot = Correct time for NY EST.

Maybe I'm wrong? Where I'm from we call it summer time and winter time; so I could have DST backwards, but, I thought DST was specifically the summer part. Does northern or southern hemisphere have something to do with it, if not in the US? Some states in the US do not follow DST (Indiana? Arizona?). Does your state? Does your country? Is there a bug in the firmware? Does Hikv have it backwards? ...

But then why are my cameras finally correct as of yesterday?

Calling upon the internet:

Timeanddate: http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/

Daylight Saving Time – often referred to as "Summer Time", "DST" or "Daylight Savings Time" – is a way of making better use of the daylight in the evenings by setting the clocks forward one hour during the longer days of summer, and back again in the fall.
DST Time Periods around the world: http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/2014.html

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_in_the_United_States

Daylight saving time in the United States is the practice of setting the clock forward by one hour during the warmer part of the year, so that evenings have more daylight and mornings have less. Most areas of the United States currently observe daylight saving time (DST), the exceptions being Arizona (except for the Navajo Nation, which does observe daylight saving time),[SUP][1][/SUP] Hawaii,[SUP][2][/SUP] and the overseas territories of Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the United States Virgin Islands.Daylight saving time starts on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November, with the time changes taking place at 2:00 a.m. local time. With a mnemonic word play referring to seasons, clocks "spring forward and fall back"—that is, in spring (technically late winter) the clocks are moved forward from 2:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m., and in fall they are moved back from 2:00 am to 1:00 am.
The following table lists recent past and near future starting and ending dates of daylight saving time in the United States:
YearStartEnd
2010March 14November 7
2011March 13November 6
2012March 11November 4
2013March 10November 3
2014March 9November 2
2015March 8November 1
2016March 13November 6
2017March 12November 5
2018March 11November 4
All I know is I set mine above, with 60 min offset, and they finally were correct yesterday and today.
Its choices are 30min 60min 90 min and 120min. And for NY EST it is 60min.

The interval 1440 is 24hrs. I just set one cam to auto-refresh every 10min, to see if something new/odd happens.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
RE: Nov vs Oct. Different parts of the world start and / or stop a little earlier.

That one camera has rebooted several times now. Its time ticks correctly like the other ones. So, it shouldn't be something where I set the time yesterday and 24hrs they'd be off again. Which is what happened initially, when you assume that the settings you apply take effect immediately ... and maybe they do for the regular time tab but not for dst ... who knows.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is weird... the originally suggested (and correct) format of March/Second & November/First, after rebooting the time shows an hour later using (GMT-6:00) Central Time US&Canada.
Hikvision Time Warp programing?

23j28b7.jpg

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'll love this one, I have one camera that was updated to 5.20 working with the backwards DST config.
I down graded it back to 5.16 for testing and even after a reset will only pull the correct time when using the "correct" DST settings order (March/Second, November/First).
"Herding cats" comes to mind... :laugh:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So 5.1.6 + correct DST = correct time.
And 5.2.0 + backwards DST = correct time.

Props for figuring that out! :)

Mine are 5.1.6 and earlier.

I wouldn't even know why they'd have touched and messed up that setting, if it was working fine?

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's firmware related or not, I may of held my mouth wrong for all I know.

nocalmike

n3wb
Reaction score
Just took an additional moment to look over the settings. Mine were manual, but off by 5-20-30secs between cams, then set to automatic, which meant they all synced, but then jumped off an hour.

This may help ... just found a DST tab :)

Web interface > Configuration > Advanced Configuration > System

> Time Settings
Check your Time Zone.
Select NTP sync.
Mine is set to the default of: time.windows.com -- ntp port: 123 -- interval: 1440

Then note tab #5 (on my cam with 5.1.6)

> DST

USA:

[V] Enable DST
Start time MAR SECOND SUN 2:00
End Time NOV FIRST SUN 2:00

Europe:

[V] Enable DST
Start time MAR LAST SUN 2:00
End Time OCT LAST SUN 2:00

Others:
See google ;)

You can probably do this via iVMS (and maybe a regular NVR) via remote configuration as well. I'm just not near my system at the moment. What would be nice is, if one could set this up once in iVMS and copy the time settings to all the cameras.

Note: After applying DST the time jumped one hour ahead of real time (deep sigh etc) figured maybe it had to reboot to get it right, crossing fingers, one reboot (advanced config > maintenance > reboot) correct time.
None of my nine hikvision cameras of various models would work with an NTP server. I spent some time with it and my problems were in my settings. Both time.nist.gov and time.windows.com work every single time I hit the test button.

I don't use DHCP on the cameras and I also use a third party DNS server (OpenDNS) for my router. So what fixed it was the following;
  • Updating my firmware to 5.2.3. (Not sure if that had any impact, but I had done it earlier in the day for the enhanced motion detection. (Thanks to networkcameracritic).
  • I entered my IPv4 gateway which wasn't picked up by DHCP since it was not enabled
  • I entered my primary and secondary OpenDNS addresses.
  • Then did a reboot.

The only buggy thing I noticed is if I hadn't changed my time zone to my correct zone (PST) it would still fail. If I changed it to my correct zone it worked. The cameras were all working flawlessly with both blue iris and xprotect go previously, but the time thing bugged me. All fixed.:D

aham

n3wb
Reaction score
I updated to 5.2.3 as nocalmike suggested, switched ntp and DST (with 'standard' settings) on and both cameras are keeping correct time now.
I'd say the bug was corrected by Hikvision in the 5.2.3 firmware update.

Thanks nocalmike!