DS-2CD2335FWD-I users thoughts

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
FW 5.5.3 build 171025
Have had this cam on a system now for a few weeks and i am very impressed especially with night work, i have found that the cam can be run in daylight mode at night with extremely low lux, unfortunately not 100% inky black but if there is some ambient lighting it does seem the cam can be run in daylight mode at night using 1/25 with very little grain, in the summer with some ambient sky light it should be a very good camera, winter where there is no sky light at night or local ambient lighting IR is needed but again using the IR the image is very capable and can provide very acceptable recognition at mid range

Daytime running alongside a 2342FWD-I the image is not as sharp and the 4mp wins the daytime image battle but at night the 2335FWD-I is hands down a winner and very impressive

Just wondered what others who have the same cam have found in there usages

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Just wondered what others who have the same cam have found in there usages
I bought one of these a couple of weeks back as part of a move towards all h.265 and am very impressed with the low-light capability.
It can operate in full colour, albeit it a bit grainy, in a room that's in complete darkness except for the light from the computer monitor.
That's impressive.

I've not mounted it yet as I'm having a look round inside to see what Hikvision have been up to in the 5.5.3 firmware.
I tried the @montecrypto modded min-system but the bootloader doesn't like it.
And some of the useful 'ways in' via the bootloader have been closed off, possibly after being exposed on here.
And of course there is a downgrade block.
So right now it's got a hard shell.

But, recently having bought and fixed up and sold a few 'spares and repairs' Hikvision cameras off eBay I'm pretty likely to buy another DS-2CD2335WD-I which at £78 shipped from Aliexpress is a pretty good price for the full EN/ML model.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson Out of interest how much did you get for the old ones on eBay? Might be thinking to sell my old ones and go for the new ones, although mine are vari focals ones but will probably get fixed lens to save on costs

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Out of interest how much did you get for the old ones on eBay?
I've been getting between £50 and £80 GBP for half a dozen R0 and one R6 cameras.
The best price was for a DS-2CD2532 mini dome - "failed after firmware update" - bought for £28, just 10 minutes to bring to life and fully update.
A really nice little camera, very solidly built - 3MP, in-built microphone, SD card, alarm I/O.
I have a couple more on eBay today that I've just taken out of service - a DS-2CD2132-I and a DS-2CD2232-I5.
There does seem to be a ready market for used Hikvision products, it's a well-known brand here in the UK.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sort of well known, i think if you are in the Uk and do any sort of research when thinking about cameras you eventually end up at Hikvision or Arlo2 in the Uk

Alastair, if an NVR FW does not honour expert in event motion but the Cam does, do the cams settings if enabled for expert work at all ??

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You've got me there - I don't know!
I'd like to think the camera settings would determine the behaviour - but there could be a chance of some overlap such that the NVR could trample on it.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have always found the majority of Cam settings do not transfer back to the NVR but with things such as motion and expert motion it is hard to tell if the cam settings get utilised on the NVR even if not explicity evident, long term testing is required i guess

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@hiky,

I have had this camera since September. In the summer, you are correct that the camera can be run in day mode.

The picture attached is from the last night, I've been running the camera in night mode because there is not enough ambient light.

I have been looking at adding a 940nm IR Illuminator, just haven't made up my mind on which one..2

EDIT::
The camera currently has a 2.8mm, I've just picked up a 6mm lens to install when the weather permits.

Attachments

Last edited:

dgwasw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've just picked up a 6mm lens to install when the weather permits.
Is this a lens only. if so could you post a link for it.
I now have three 2335FWD-I cams, two off I run in day mode 24/7 only with street lights.
Should never had purchase 6 x 2342WD-I cams as I need night vision.

Daytime running alongside a 2342FWD-I the image is not as sharp and the 4mp wins the daytime image battle but at night the 2335FWD-I is hands down a winner and very impressive
I agree with that.

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is this a lens only. if so could you post a link for it.
I now have three 2335FWD-I cams, two off I run in day mode 24/7 only with street lights.
Should never had purchase 6 x 2342WD-I cams as I need night vision.
Yes lens only, purchased to try out. Was cheap enough, no big loss if it does not meet my needs.

ASIN # B00HPKATD6

Amazon Canada
https://www.amazon.ca/Degree-Angle-Fixed-Board-Camera/dp/B00HPKATD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518705408&sr=8-1&keywords=B00HPKATD6

Amazon US
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Degree-Angle-Fixed-Camera/dp/B00HPKATD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518705539&sr=8-1&keywords=B00HPKATD6&dpID=41MFmQYHYEL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Amazon Down Under :lol:
https://www.amazon.com.au/uxcell-Degree-Angle-Fixed-Camera/dp/B00HPKATD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518705631&sr=8-1&keywords=B00HPKATD6

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have always found the majority of Cam settings do not transfer back to the NVR but with things such as motion and expert motion it is hard to tell if the cam settings get utilised on the NVR even if not explicity evident, long term testing is required i guess
The cam settings are independent from the NVR settings. Therefore you can define Smart Events at the camera without defining smart event at the NVR. However if you define a smart event at the NVR, then the settings are transferred to the camera smart event settings. The NVR settings have higher priority than the camera settings if the settings exist at both the NVR and the camera.

The 2335 has superior image at lower light levels indeed than the 2342. However the increased resolution of the 2342 wins in terms of picture quality the 2335 at reasonable daylight conditions. I have a 2332, a 2342, and was about to get another 12 cameras during the period March to April when the 2335 started appearing on the market. Luckily I got the 2335 and I have not regret it. Now I am stuck with an old 2332 and 2342. Unfortunately there is no camera with higher resolution than 3MPixels with the quality of 2335.

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have two of these cameras for my business installations and unfortunately both have an issue with H264 + & H265 + being enabled. The + (plus) being an issue. It causes the main stream to be disabled, for up to 5 hours. It seems the photocell cuts in (currently approximately 7.15 am UK daylight) & causes the disable of the main stream, hence no recordings. Approximately 5 hours later the main stream is active & recordings resume.
Both cameras are recording to an SD card (Sandisk/Samsung, class 10's) & even linked to a NVR same issue. Strangely the NVR still marks the event markers, but no playback. Current/latest firmware on one camera, the other on standard. Both the same problem.

Attached is a still screenshot of the issue when main & recordings are disabled by the strange H264 + enable.
Apparently my supplier/Hikvision are looking into the issues.

Apart from my moaning the cameras a super.

Attachments

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Alastair
Thank you for your prompt reply. I feel honoured by your assistance, as you are in my opinion a longstanding veteran of sound advise on this website forum.

One unit is on the stock V5.4.5. The other I believe to be on the current V5.5.4 firmware. Both units produce the same issue. H264 or H265 standard doesn't seem to replicate.
Thanks again Alastair.

Ugc

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought a 2335 to play around with. Inside cameras I don’t have a problem running ir at night. However, outside it draws too many bugs in Florida so I prefer to run day light and color with minimal security light somewhere away from the camera. The low lux on this camera blows all my other cameras away. I can see I will probably end up replacing some critical outside cameras with the 2335. I will mount it in a permanent location this weekend but I am very pleased so far.

Last edited:

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i`m glad someone else has noticed the bug issue, the 2342 never really had issues with bugs when using IR but the 2335 must have a super sensative lens that reflects the IR from rain and bugs straight back, i have definately tried to run in daylight mode at night just to avoid the IR reflection from rain and bugs, my camera is in a position the is optimal but faces challenging lighting conditions at night, on the cusp of daylight mode but just slightly too grainy for my liking, if i use IR which in winter here seems about the best trade off and its not raining the image is sharp and detailed but if its starts to rain the wind blowing the rain drops around in front of the lens at about 8ft away get reflected back

Night mode with IR off is alo a good bet dependant on available ambient light, probably a good summer setting