DS-2CD2385FWD night mode settings help please?

Reaction score
Hello

I bought a DS-2CD2385FWD-I for the front of my house and it works well.. except at night, the motion is blurry and to pick out a face is next to impossible. I have plenty of light and have changed the Noise Reduction Level to 25 but cannot find "gain" anywhere.

Any tips on what settings I should be using on the 2385 cameras please?

Cheers
Mark

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello

I bought a DS-2CD2385FWD-I for the front of my house and it works well.. except at night, the motion is blurry and to pick out a face is next to impossible. I have plenty of light and have changed the Noise Reduction Level to 25 but cannot find "gain" anywhere.

Any tips on what settings I should be using on the 2385 cameras please?

Cheers
Mark
unfortunately that camera will never perform well in low light. You need to look at your exposure settings if you are getting blur.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a couple of these cameras and find their performance sufficient in the "dark" (noting of course "dark" is relative since there is always some light). Can you post your image/video settings?

Reaction score
thanks for the replies but it is disappointing to hear they don't perform well at night as the reviews state they do. Typical :)

It is fine in day mode but I still get blurring/ghosting, not sure if I need to go higher or lower with the exposure... here are my current settings.

Brightness 50
contrast 50
saturation 50
sharpness 30

iris mode manual
exposure time 1/50

day/night switch auto
sensitivity 4
filtering time 5
smart sup light on
mode auto

BLC area OFF
WDR OFF
HLC OFF

WB Natural Light

DNR Normal
NRL 25

mirror off
rotate off
scene mode outdoors
video standard PAL 50HZ

plus a screen shot of us going out last night.. not as good as I have oped it would be..
upload_2019-2-16_7-47-38.png

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Chris.. I might see about getting a IR light installed. We do have an outdoor light there, but it is an energy saving one, and it doesn't really make much different to the camera image..
Ignore all recommendations with respect to lux ratings as they cannot be compared across brands. If you want a camera that performs well at night see the threads discuss hik/ipct and dahua low light cams with larger sensors for the 4k models. More IR can only do so much and can cause washout.

Tokens

n3wb
Reaction score
Ignore all recommendations with respect to lux ratings as they cannot be compared across brands. If you want a camera that performs well at night see the threads discuss hik/ipct and dahua low light cams with larger sensors for the 4k models. More IR can only do so much and can cause washout.
Could you provide a link (was unable to find) or tell me what's the largest sensor size Dauha has in affordable price range 4K cameras (I found pro series with 1/2.5” and ultra series with 8MP, 1/1.8" but it's too expensive stuff) ? Hik has 4K with 1/2' sensor - DS-2CD2385G1-I

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with the above. The 1/2.5" sensor is way to small for a 8MP camera. Not only your motion but other detail in the picture is not that great. Daytime is probably OK.