DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL - Dropping frames (?) whenever live view/HikConnect is launched.

hilltop

n3wb
Reaction score
Howdy all,

As above: I have a set of 4 brand new DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL cameras running on a 7608 NVR.

First time installing these cameras and the client loves the Live Guard capabilities.

However, the cameras seem to cause a glitch like I have never seen before. Watching Live View or recorded footage shows a glitch where the stream drops out for a split second, almost as if it's changing from IR to normal view. The text disappears and it acts the same as if it were just starting up.

This can be made to happen on demand by any of the following means:

Triggering motion recording.
Starting Live View via the HIkConnect app.
Starting Live view via desktop/web view.

I have narrowed it down to being the cameras that are presenting the fault. I installed a 2385 turret to the system and it displayed no issues whatsoever.

Similarly, I took one of the 2386 cameras home to my own system and the fault replicates perfectly on my own system, which has never displayed any problems of the sort previously, or with any other camera.

Settings I have tried are as follows:

Full 8MP resolution.

Variable and Constant bitrates.

15 FPS & 15 I-frame interval.
15 FPS & 30 I-frame interval.
20 FPS & 20 I-frame interval.
20 FPS & 40 I-frame Interval.

4096 through 8192 Max. bitrates.

Both 264 & 265 codecs. (I don't use 265+ at all).

This matter is evident whether viewing directly from the NVR via HDMI, via webview, or via the app.

It is also present on all channels using these cameras whether connected to the network, or directly into the POE ports on the rear of the machine.

I spent about 2 hours on the phone to my distributor's tech support today with them via Team-Viewer which culminated in them asking me to return the hardware for testing. They are a 1.5 hour drive from me, not to mention the time lost and embarrassment in front of my customer, so I'm trying to avoid this at all costs.

Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas to attempt to remedy this, as I've never experienced anything like this.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Similar to a certain Dahua camera that seemed to be a problem child, it seems that many people here have had issues with this particular camera. I seem to recall several return it for a different model.

hilltop

n3wb
Reaction score
Similar to a certain Dahua camera that seemed to be a problem child, it seems that many people here have had issues with this particular camera. I seem to recall several return it for a different model.
Not the answer I was hoping for, but appreciated nonetheless.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had that happening on my 7608 running an 8MP Gen 2 Colorvu. In my case it was the live view screen glitching for that camera about every 19 seconds, with the screen momentarily freezing and the date/ time display disappearing during the quick glitch. In my case it seemed to be related to the bandwidth being pushed too high.

Have you tried changing from using "General" listed bitrates to "Custom" and typing in rates below the 10Mb/s average you can use on over the 8 channels? I was playing around with using General listed rates as that seemed to be allowing me to run higher rates than manually entering values via "Custom" when it happened.

If you hover over the live view screen for a camera there's an info tab at the bottom which gives the live bitrates for each camera. That seems to go all over the place - way above the set limit. If you've got all 8 channels used with lots of activity on the cameras it could be spiking really high and causing bandwitdh problems.

hilltop

n3wb
Reaction score
So, here's an update.

I was near Ness Corporation's Murarrie showroom (the trade supplier I sourced them through) yesterday so I dropped in to show their staff the issue on my phone app, first hand. Alan was quite quick in making out that this wasn't a problem. He weas quite dismissive and tried to tell me that it was just the full frame stream starting and gave me the impresion that he wasn't at all interested in assisting.

So far, I have spent a good couple of hours on the phone to their in-house tech support.

I have since sent them screen shots showing the recording intervals that went on throughout the night, where it was starting and stopping via motion events every 15-20 seconds as Triumph has described.

It started recording regular 17-20 second motion events, spaced about 3-5 seconds apart from 18:43 on Tuesday evening, until 7:16 Wednesday morning when it appeared to stop for about 10 minutes. It then started again in day mode and continued until 7:49. I've attached a couple of screenshots below that show the sections in both a condensed, and zoomed view. The intervals are the same across the whole period I described.

I have tried all manner of different bandwidth/bitrate settings including custom and preset, both via the camera and the NVR, but to no avail.

These guys have tried everything to make my installation and setup the cause of the issue. I have been through the story with them time and time again, and each time they have tried to put it down to a setting in the camera. I even let both them and HikVision Australia dial in to my workshop PC via Team Viewer to check settings, of which they found none that were incorrect or likely to cause this issue.

I even just got off the phone with HikVision's own tech support who tried to tell me that it was the light from my monitor (turned off), or the wind blowing the roof of my workshop (dead still night), or movement from somewhere else that was causing these continuous motion events. I tried more than once to reiterate that it was a dead still nigh, with no light or motion in the building whatsoever, yet he insisted that it must have been a tree or lights moving. I live in a rural town on acreage with no street lights, and no, there are no trees or wind machines in my workshop. It really was quite ridiculous.

I have since agreed to run the camera again tonight, facing a different direction so we can rule out the possibility of my roof moving on its own, or the off chance that there's a rat with a torch that he turns on at set intervals of 20 seconds, just long enough to make the camera image flicker and log a motion event.

Basically, I'm doing HikVision's product testing for them, free of charge, it would seem.

Regardless of the outcome, this will likely be my last dealing with any HikVision product, or purchasing anything through Ness - A company I have dealt with for over 13 years while moving through different companies.

I've uploaded a short video of the issue for reference.

HIkVision 2CD2386G2-ISU/SL Flickering issue

Thanks again for your interest in this.

Rob.

Attachments

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You're in Australia... Hikvision Australia hold back local firmware updates (or did in the past) so you're literally years behind the O/S firmware. Then they region lock the NVR's so you can only upload Australian firmware releases- or else you "brick it". That's what I got for buying locally.

Your video is very much like I was getting a few days back. I've only got the one 8MP Colorvu on the 7608 NVR (which now runs Euro firmware- shove that Hik Aust!) The other are a mixed bunch a couple of 4MP, some 3MP and one Dahua 2MP starlight. I have just ordered a couple of the DS-2CD2386G2-IU and another DS-2CD2387G2-LU 8MP Colorvu. So I'll be able to give feedback on how they end up working on my 7608 NVR. I'm running Euro firmware v4. something. I discovered after the dealer supplied the unlock file (following bricking it after trying an O/S update) that it was then locked to Euro firmware so have stuck with that. They (Hik Aust/ dealer) tried telling me it couldn't be updated from the older 3.x firmware to 4, but guess what - it can! So their knowledge is really lacking.

The Aussie cameras aren't (or weren't) region locked. I had four Aussie 4MP cams and they were fine on O/S firmware. Since then I've been buying from O/S for cameras, they're either not available locally or ridiculously expensive. I feel sorry for the Aussie dealers in a way- it's out of their control.

hilltop

n3wb
Reaction score
Can I ask what version and build date your firmware is?

This camera is currently running 5.7.3 build 220112

My NVR is actually a ness branded model that I flashed to Hik from their international site, but it's not the problem.

Last edited:

hilltop

n3wb
Reaction score
Either really, I'd just like to get an idea of the versions that are being distributed overseas.

The latest I can get for my NVR is V4.30.085 build 210409

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My NVR is actually a ness branded model that I flashed to Hik from their international site
Interesting, do you have a link to it?

Either really, I'd just like to get an idea of the versions that are being distributed overseas.
I'm using the Euro firmware for the NVR, I haven't updated to the latest. The latest is V4.61.000_220507
The more recent versions annoy me a bit as they've removed the Smart Event markers from the timeline in normal playback. Previous (way older) versions would have the Smart event markers on the timeline when just playing back in normal mode. If you change from Smart playback to Normal and then back to Smart it also resets the playback from the time you were viewing to 00:00. Bloody annoying. I had to update though to make use of the Accusense human and vehicle detection- it wouldn't work with older firmware.

I haven't updated the camera, I bought it from O/S late last year IIRC. I'll have to check exactly what it's running (and the NVR.)

hilltop

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting to see what they're changing in their software.

Not sure if it's just me, but I can't find any way to log into CloudP2P/Hik-Connect theought the latest iVMS-4200.

Thanks for the reply.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
NVR is DS-7608NI-2/8P, hardware version 0100054104000000, firmware V4.50.000, build 210125

8MP Colorvu DS-2CD2387G2-LU Firmware V5.7.2 build 211109.

hilltop

n3wb
Reaction score
Great. Thanks for that. Appreciated.

I've would the sensitivity right back on them and set up a few smart events to stop all the false motion alerts. Hopefully that's gonna solve our issue.

Thanks again,

Rob.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've would the sensitivity right back on them and set up a few smart events to stop all the false motion alerts.
The Accusense smart detection of people and vehicles is a huge step forward. I've gone from being annoyed at everything from Autumn leaves/ rain/ shadows/ fog constantly triggering markers to 95% being only cars and people. I don't use motion detection on the Colorvu.

It makes reviewing footage so much quicker. It even picks up people way off in the distance.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've would the sensitivity right back on them and set up a few smart events to stop all the false motion alerts. Hopefully that's gonna solve our issue.
Did you get it fixed?

I've now got two DS-2CD2386G2-IU that have been running for a couple of days. I haven't noticed anything untoward happening.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I haven't noticed anything untoward happening.
LOL I spoke too soon.

One (DS-2CD2386G2-IU) appeared to be glitching a couple of times last night on Live View. I'm 99% sure it's because I'm pushing the bandwidth limits on the NVR too far. It was related to the other cameras having motion occuring on them at the same time.