DS-2CD2432F-IW - 2 Way Audio (Speaker on Camera) Issues

mwatz

n3wb
Reaction score
I can get the Mic on the camera working (I can hear audio) on both the PC and iPhone app. But I cannot 'speak' to the camera in Blue Iris using the iPhone app. It works if I logged into the camera directly.
Does Blue Iris support 2 way audio in the Iphone App? I can't figure out how talk to the camera in the Blue Iris on the PC (I have a mic).

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Mine works when I'm on the LAN - but only intermittently. The same 2432 camera will be crystal clear one try, then the next, it'll be distorted clipping noise. Agreed that it works just fine via the camera's GUI/webpage, but BI doesn't seem to firing on all cylinders.

As for accessing the microphone from the WAN, I believe you have to forward port 554 to the BI server to get that to work.

I have a separate issue with the audio quality being sent by the camera. In the camera's GUI/webpage the audio fidelity is perfect. But through the BI app, or webserver, or playback, it sounds so garbled as to be useless.

I'm wondering if there isn't a specific protocol that should be used for audio, other than the default one used by the camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can get the Mic on the camera working (I can hear audio) on both the PC and iPhone app. But I cannot 'speak' to the camera in Blue Iris using the iPhone app. It works if I logged into the camera directly.
Does Blue Iris support 2 way audio in the Iphone App? I can't figure out how talk to the camera in the Blue Iris on the PC (I have a mic).
Yes it supports 2 way..its not perfect and requires a good connection to the camera. What is the audio codec selected in the camera?
For use with a pc mic, Did you properly configure the mic in the blue iris options audio tab?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@mwatz @erkme73 I have done some further testing, the issue with garbled "talk" audio, appears to be an issue with the webserver/phone app...when using a mic directly with a pc the audio is perfect (set your audio source in blue iris audio options to mono)....

Last edited by a moderator:

mwatz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I had left the audio input on the PC unchecked, as well you need to enabled PTZ in the cameras to show the audio controls (even if the camera doesn't support PTZ). With those 2 items changed, the Audio is great (coming from the PC). Still not sure why whats up with the phone apps.

mwatz

n3wb
Reaction score
Played with a bit more, I noticed on the iPhone apps that get no sound (as in no sound output on the camera) when using the stunnel port (even on same LAN), but I get the garbled sound using the BI web server port.

plomaris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can someone post the BI settings to get the speaker to work on the 2432? I can get two way audio to work if I log in to the camera's web interface, but not through BI. Thanks.

mwatz

n3wb
Reaction score
I figured out how to get mine working. You need to enable PTZ within BI for the camera (even if the camera doesn't have PTZ). As well as don't delete the BI blank 'admin' account it creates. I can get it working on the inside/outside the LAN.

plomaris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I do have PTZ enabled and the admin account is still there. What are your camera settings for Video and Audio?

mwatz

n3wb
Reaction score
In the main BI Audio tab (not camera specfic), for the output i put 'Not specified' for the device.
for for camera settings itself, under the video tab -> configure -> in the audio section under format i have 64 kbps G.711 u-law
under the audio tab -> i have webcast audio and record audio during profiles (all of them) checked

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can someone post the BI settings to get the speaker to work on the 2432? I can get two way audio to work if I log in to the camera's web interface, but not through BI. Thanks.
Make sure that in the camera video settings you have "video and audio" selected from the drop down..not just video.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Make sure that in the camera video settings you have "video and audio" selected from the drop down..not just video.
Thank you fenderman! After messing with trying to get the audio working on my recently installed 2432 I found your post. That's all it took.

evd

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue as well.

Settings wise we're all good - Video and Audio setup in Camera UI.
BI setup with PTZ, it all seems to work OK for listening to audio from the camera - however talking TO it (from the Iphone app) is where it falls over.. Whenever you enable the talk option you just hear a garbled noise from the camera's speaker for a second, then it goes away..

Talking to the camera from BI on a the PC itself is OK as well....

Anything else I might have missed?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue as well.

Settings wise we're all good - Video and Audio setup in Camera UI.
BI setup with PTZ, it all seems to work OK for listening to audio from the camera - however talking TO it (from the Iphone app) is where it falls over..

Whenever you enable the talk option you just hear a garbled noise from the camera's speaker for a second, then it goes away..

Anything else I might have missed?

As everyone else says works fine from the camera ​UI
What audio codec is the camera set to? Test with a wired connection...

evd

n3wb
Reaction score
You were quick to reply..I edited my original post

Tested on the BI PC itself with a MIC and it works fine.

Just the iPhone app that can't get audio back through to the camera's speaker!

THe camera speaker growls for a bit when you hit the Mic button in the iPhone app...you see the blue circle come up on the BI Interface, then after a second it drops away.

So all is working within the application. Leads me to think theres a bug somewhere in the iPhone app? Same thing happens on both LAN and WAN

evd

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update on this, I did end up emailing support and having some conversations but still never got it working. Just wondering if anyone else has had success with this function or its just the camera's I'm using.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ken, the developer, doesn't do the phone software. The guy he uses for that has apparently hit his limit on knowledge on how to solve this problem. I don't think it will get any better until it becomes a higher priority and a new set of eyes works on the issue.

So to answer your question, it is not just your camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ken, the developer, doesn't do the phone software. The guy he uses for that has apparently hit his limit on knowledge on how to solve this problem. I don't think it will get any better until it becomes a higher priority and a new set of eyes works on the issue.

So to answer your question, it is not just your camera.
I believe he does write the iphone app, not android...I have been able to talk via the android app using an lts/hik cube...Its not perfect but it works...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but what it an lts/hik cube? I need something at my door that I can use to quickly interact with someone when they're waiting (i.e. Ring doorbell).