DS-2CD2542FWD-IS total darkness when lights out

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When manually switching from night today I can here it clicking, the cameras turns black and white but I can't see anything, I confirmed that the IR works.

Are you supposed to be able to see the filter dropping?

achernar

n3wb
Reaction score
I think the filter can sometimes stick in its rails. The easiest way to fix it is to strike the bottom of the camera with something soft like the palm of your hand. If its a bullet camera you might want to hold the top of the camera while striking it with the other hand to reduce the shock on the mount. Sometimes I've had to strike it who knows how many times before I've managed to unstick it.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wonder if there's a permanant fix. By hitting on it a few times it would work then get stuck almost right away when it switches again. In another would it would only take a banging in order for it to switch. perhaps a way to open and oil this damn thing up

achernar

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe adjusting the camera so that if there was something vertical in the centre of the frame it looks vertical in the image might help. Some of my cameras did stick a number of times requiring me to hit them to free them up, I was lucky that they started working reliably. If they keep giving you trouble then opening them up if possible and oiling the filter rails should fix it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The IR cut filter is a tiny delicate item like the wing of a butterfly.
It's usually incorporated into the lens mount.
These are widely available to buy and are readily replaced, if you have some hobbyist skills.