DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS just stopped recording to SD card - can't figure out why?

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The camera was recording and playing back to the SD card just fine. I logged on to check it tonight, and realized that it had stopped recording to the card three or four days ago. I have re-formatted the card, turned the power on and off, re-booted just about everything (although all of the activity should be in the camera). Where should I look? The camera seems to recognize the card, and when I push the record button on the live view screen I get a confirmation of a recording made. But there is no file?

Simply perplexed. It just quit. Maybe the camera went bad, or the SD card.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the SD card is far more likely to be bad than the camera, remove it, put it into a PC and see if it passes the tests with this: https://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/h2testw/

my stack of dead flash memory would be bigger than my stack of dead HDD's, but only by count.. it'll take alot of sd cards to take up more area than a hdd :p

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like it will take about two hours to run on a 128 GB card. This is one of the Sony cards that you suggested not long ago. I bought three 64 GB cards and one of those was DOA. I'll hunt down another card to try in the camera while this one is being tested. Thanks.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive only been recommending Samsung Pro's or better, they have given me the less number of headaches.. but Ive still had one fail a few days into service, and Ive seen counterfeits of them too, still better track record than I've had with SanDisk by a long shot.

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I put a lightly used 32GB card in the camera, formatted in the camera. Same behavior. The camera will reflect that it is recording, when trying to find the recorded file, none are evident. I fear there is some little checkbox somewhere in the software that needs a nudge.....

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just to put closure on this.

I ran the h2testw software and got results completely in line with the published specs.

I fiddled and fiddled. What finally got the camera to start recording to the 128 GB card was to add a second line crossing to the pre-existing line crossing motion trigger.

Go figure. The cam is now recording again.

I knew I hadn't dreamt about the Sony card recommendation. Here's where I saw it. Maybe next time I'll look at Samsung Pro! That's what I use for solid state drives.

Ive been happy with Sony Class 10 uSD cards; Ive got a 64GB in my PTZ recording D1 15fps @ highest video quality 24/7 and it almost holds 3 days of video..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ah yeah.. that card is still alive and cooking in my black fact PTZ, forgot what brand that was.. must be the only sony card i have.

glad you got it working, its good to run that h2testw on all your cards before trusting them in production anyhow..