DS-2CD2x32 ONVIF not working properly

tigerpaul

n3wb
Reaction score
I've purchased an ONVIF capable NVR that I'd like to connect my cameras (one 2132, two 2032) to. I've successfully upgraded the firmware on each camera to V5.4, which is supposed to add ONVIF support. However, the cameras can't be detected.

I've downloaded the ONVIF Device Test Tool. It cannot find the cameras either. However, if I enter the IP address directly it can access it:
screen.png

I also downloaded the ONVIF Device Manager, which can pull up the camera if I enter the IP address.
screen2.png

I assume the NVR can't find the cameras for the same reason the device test tool can't find them. When I manually enter the addresses in the NVR software, it doesn't connect. Are these cameras actually supporting ONVIF? Does anyone know any reason they wouldn't broadcast that or have any tips for further steps I can take?

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your NVR probably needs CGI activated and a ONVIF account created. I believe it's under Network>Advanced Settings> Integration Protocol. Create a user admin, grant admin privileges and same password as admin login for the NVR.

tigerpaul

n3wb
Reaction score
To be clear, it's not a Hikvision NVR. It's a generic ONVIF NVR that's supposed to detect any ONVIF enabled cameras on the network automatically. I don't see any type of options like you mentioned. The fact that the ONVIF tools also don't detect the cameras concerns me. I can access them directly through a web browser, and the SADP tool finds them, but the ONVIF searches can't see them.

tigerpaul

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe those instructions only apply to versions 5.5 and higher. I'm at 5.4, which I believe is the highest version for my cameras. I was under the impression that it enabled ONVIF by default.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've purchased an ONVIF capable NVR that I'd like to connect my cameras (one 2132, two 2032)
As ODM is not automatically finding those other cameras either (assuming they are on the LAN and powered on) - I'd wonder if something on the PC is blocking the broadcasts that underpin device discovery on ONVIF.

Does the PC have any network protection AV running, is it connected over WiFi, do you get the same results if you temporarily shut down Windows firewall?
Are the camera HTTP ports still set as 80?

tigerpaul

n3wb
Reaction score
HTTP ports are set to 80. ODM can't autodetect them even with Windows firewall disabled. It can access them if I input the IP directly. I'm at a loss. It seems that they're either not broadcasting or something in my router is somehow blocking it. I can't find anything in my router setting that looks likely.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you login to your cameras with internet explorer by entering the IP address of the camera ? I believe that the default address of a hikvision ip camera is 192.0.0.64.

What are the IP address of your
1) router
2) nvr
3) each camera

Are the cameras plugged directly into the NVR or on your network ?
What are you using to power the cameras a POE switch or a power supply ?

are your sure of the Hikvision version, because newer version have security on the ONVIF

tigerpaul

n3wb
Reaction score
192.168.1.1 - Router
192.168.1.180 - NVR
192.168.1.48 - Laptop running ONVIF tools
192.168.1.201 - Cam 1
192.168.1.202 - Cam 2
192.168.1.203 - Cam 3

Cameras are plugged into a POE switch, which is connected to my router. I can ping everything from my laptop.

I can access all the cameras directly through a web browser, using their respective IP addresses. The ONVIF device manager can also access the cameras, but only if I directly enter the IP address. It can't find them by scanning the network. The Hikvision SADP tool finds them instantly.

SADP.JPG

Two of the cameras are upgraded to V5.4.0 (I know it has a security issue, I was just trying to get ONVIF enabled), with the third being at V5.4.5. As far as I can tell, V5.4.5 is the last version supported for these models, and any V5.4 should enable ONVIF.

tigerpaul

n3wb
Reaction score
Disconnected my router and swapped in an old ASUS router loaded with Tomato firmware. Reset Tomato to a default, basic setup and tried again. The cameras still can't be detected by the device manager tool or my NVR.

I found an android app that can turn a cell camera into an ONVIF device. When I started it, the device manager tool and the NVR detected the cell camera. I'm assuming something weird is happening with the cameras at this point.