DS-7604 Not enough memory during upgrade

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the DS-7604 NVR with 3.0.9 firmware. I tried to upgrade to fw 3.0.15 from the web interface of the NVR, from a local USB stick on the NVR, from the iVMS4200 and always get the message "Upgrade failed. Not enough memory."
Then I tried the TFTP utility. When the NVR starts it responds for 3 pings to 192.0.0.64 but the TFTP server at 192.0.0.128 does not start any update transfer.
I do not get even the two beeps during boot up and the NVR screen is black.
Any help is appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
he TFTP server at 192.0.0.128 does not start any update transfer.
If you don't even get the 'test the tftp server' message - check your Windows firewall/anti-virus/network access protection isn't blocking inbound access to the PC, which should be wired to the switch/router as normal.
And that the digicap.dav file is in the same folder as the tftpserve.exe program.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Alastair, I have already checked all your suggestions. Eventually I found the culprit. My PC was rather old and slow and could not respond quickly enough to the first three pings from the NVR. I used a faster PC and the TFTP worked OK.
So I have recovered my NVR to the latest fw 3.0.15. Here is what I have found out.

Before I started the upgrade process, I exported the configuration of the NVR. Unfortunately this exported configuration can not be imported to any firmware version. When trying to imported, the reply is "incompatible file". So I do not know how exporting the configuration can be used to recover an NVR.

Now I have another problem. On one of my cameras which is connected through the LAN side (not connected to the NVR PoE switch) although initially it was working in live view, now it can not connect to the NVR and when I click on the camera triangle status in the NVR it says "The user is locked". Something has gone wrong with the password for this camera. The camera itself is working OK because I can access the web interface and live view from the LAN side through the browser. So the camera is OK. It is its slot or its interfacing with the NVR that is wrong. Another camera I have in the LAN side similarly is working OK.
Any help appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My PC was rather old and slow and could not respond quickly enough to the first three pings from the NVR.
Interesting - I don't think we've heard of that cause before. Thanks for sharing.
So I do not know how exporting the configuration can be used to recover an NVR.
This would normally be used in conjunction with whatever firmware was running when the configuration was exported.
They do change how they hold configurations across firmware versions.
On the camera that's not working - maybe try deleting it and adding it again.

What's the exact model of your NVR? That's old firmware for a 76xxN-Ex, presumably you have an older model.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The NVR I have is the 7604NI-SE/P. It is a generation before the 76XXNI-Exx family.
So What is this "The user is locked"?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So What is this "The user is locked"?
That usually refers to the automatic, temporary account lockout when too many incorrect login attempts have been tried. In other words a password problem, such as 2 systems accessing a camera, but one using a wrong password.
You can disable the lockout in the camera web GUI. Presumably you've checked / changed the saved camera password in the NVR camera config.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did disabled the user lockout at the camera menu but it did not change anything. Afterwards, I used the iVMS4200 and when I accessed the NVR at the device management screen the camera live view at the NVR screen came back!!!.

Now I am not sure what fixed the problem. I have realized that some settings take some time to have effect. So any of the following fixed my problem: the lock out time out? the disabling of the lock out user at the camera? the accessing of the NVR from the iVMS? Any guess?