DS-7608NI-E2/8P Reset Password

mna8c

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased a DS-7608NI-E2/8P recently and the previous owner doesnt remember the password. NVR is runnning firmware 3.4.9 build 161008.
I've tried the following Hikvision Reset Password Utility with no luck. I then tried to tftp to load original firmware, however I get a client cannot connect when laptop and nvr is connected through a network switch. I also get fail to load econt_Vision 2000 error when laptop and nvr are connected thorugh a router. Is there anything else I can try before i purchase parts to TTL serial to reset password.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there anything else I can try before i purchase parts to TTL serial to reset password.
Switch or router shouldn't make any difference. Wired does work best.
Maybe temporarily disable the firewall on the laptop when running the Hikvision tftp updater.
And maybe try power cycling the NVR quite a few times.

I also get fail to load econt_Vision 2000 error when laptop and nvr are connected thorugh a router
That's not so much an error as the Hikvision tftp updater commenting on the NVR probing for Arecont_Vision devices that it emits on bootup.

If you have (or can borrow) a Hikvision camera with backdoor-vulnerable firmware (5.3.0 to 5.4.0) you could use the trojan horse trick to extract the NVR password.
If the camera is reset to defaults (Inactive) and then connected to an NVR PoE port, the NVR will by default 'Activate' it using its own password.
Then you can extract the camera configuration file :
http://<camera_IP_address>/System/configurationFile?auth=YWRtaW46MTEK

When / if you hook up to the serial console you can force a firmware update which will reset to defaults.
Or if you want to leave as-is you could try this :

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have the hidden easter egg on the NVR's firmware? It is the hidden button on the bottom left hand corner of the log in window. Double click there and it will show the complete serial number and then as for the secure code. Make sure the code is used for the correct date that is currently on the NVR. You can find of the date by using SADP under the column "start time".

mna8c

n3wb
Reaction score
Switch or router shouldn't make any difference. Wired does work best.
Maybe temporarily disable the firewall on the laptop when running the Hikvision tftp updater.
And maybe try power cycling the NVR quite a few times.

That's not so much an error as the Hikvision tftp updater commenting on the NVR probing for Arecont_Vision devices that it emits on bootup.

If you have (or can borrow) a Hikvision camera with backdoor-vulnerable firmware (5.3.0 to 5.4.0) you could use the trojan horse trick to extract the NVR password.
If the camera is reset to defaults (Inactive) and then connected to an NVR PoE port, the NVR will by default 'Activate' it using its own password.
Then you can extract the camera configuration file :
http://<camera_IP_address>/System/configurationFile?auth=YWRtaW46MTEK

When / if you hook up to the serial console you can force a firmware update which will reset to defaults.
Or if you want to leave as-is you could try this :
Thanks for the suggestions! I finally got my hand on a wiring loom to serial into the nvr and got the password reset.

However i have now run into another problem. The only cameras I have on hand are dahua cameras. I tried to add them both via ONVIF and custom protocol but that doesnt work. I used ODM to confirm the camera works. I did notice that ODM detects my dahua nvr as well but doesnt detect the Hikvision nvr. Everything was connected to the same router while testing. Do I need to turn on ONVIF in the Hikvision NVR some how?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried to add them both via ONVIF and custom protocol but that doesnt work.
Either of those methods should work OK with the Hikvision NVR.
ODM shows you the needed ONVIF port in the Identification page. It's probably 80 for Dahua cameras.
And the RTSP string in the Live Video page.

Presumably the camera is now connected to an NVR PoE port?
Did you set the camera IP address to match the IP address defined in the corresponding channel in the NVR Camera Management web GUI page?
This will likely be something like 192.168.254.2 for channel 1

If the camera is on the LAN, with a LAN IP address, you will need to change the NVR channel to Manual from Plug&Play and configure it with the camera LAN IP address.

mna8c

n3wb
Reaction score
Presumably the camera is now connected to an NVR PoE port?
Did you set the camera IP address to match the IP address defined in the corresponding channel in the NVR Camera Management web GUI page?
This will likely be something like 192.168.254.2 for channel 1

If the camera is on the LAN, with a LAN IP address, you will need to change the NVR channel to Manual from Plug&Play and configure it with the camera LAN IP address.

Camera is plugged into the NVR poe port and IP is 192.168.254.2.

I have attached details I received from ODM. The RSTP link suggests port 554.
I can open the RSTP link in VLC to view the camera. I've been putting /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif for the path when setting custom protocol.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have attached details I received from ODM.
ODM seems happy enough with the camera - apart from the "No Signal" on the Live Video page.
The 'ONVIF port' is 80.

Coincidentally, I have had the same model of camera connected to a couple of Hikvision NVRs DS-7816N-E2/8P and DS-7616NI-K2 for a couple of years, and took it down just yesterday for a higher-spec device. It's running a slightly older version of firmware 021.R and using the h.265 codec.
It worked reliably and provided ONVIF motion events to the NVR.

I just added it back to one of the NVRs and it works OK as default ONVIF.
It also worked OK as an RTSP device using a Custom protocol.
For the path I used a single forward slash.
Presumably ONVIF is enabled in the camera web GUI or ODM would not see it.

I wonder if the slight difference in firmware is a factor?

mna8c

n3wb
Reaction score
I just added it back to one of the NVRs and it works OK as default ONVIF.
It also worked OK as an RTSP device using a Custom protocol.
For the path I used a single forward slash.
Presumably ONVIF is enabled in the camera web GUI or ODM would not see it.

I wonder if the slight difference in firmware is a factor?
Thanks for the help. I have tried the path with a single forward slash and both forward slash and that doesnt work.
I've also tried plugging into POE ports.
From checking other posts, I've noticed some people have the option to turn ONVIF on/off. I dont have that option at all. Can you confirm if you have that option as well.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
From checking other posts, I've noticed some people have the option to turn ONVIF on/off. I dont have that option at all. Can you confirm if you have that option as well.
This is the only ONVIF reference in the camera web GUI :
1585132821112.png

And the firmware version, older than yours :
1585132896530.png

mna8c

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been more clear in my previous reply. Do you have the option to turn ONVIF on/off from your hikvision NVR? In my previous post I've attached a photo of what I've seen vs what I can see in the web gui.

I've tried again for a few hours and still cant get it to work. Im out of ideas now so i'll probably try to find some hikvision cameras to use with the NVR. Thanks for the help!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have the option to turn ONVIF on/off from your hikvision NVR?
Not on the NVR that I tested with - a DS-7816N-E2/8P.
But I do on a DS-7616NI-K2 with firmware 3.4.96, so I did some more tests.

With 'Enable ONVIF' unticked (ie disabled) in the NVR web GUI - Network | Advanced Settings | Integration Protocol the camera added OK.
Using a Custom Protocol, for RTSP, with a single forward slash as the Path, the camera also added OK.