DS-7608NI-E2/8P - won't power up some cameras

rgvlee

n3wb
Reaction score
Heya long time lurker, first time poster. I've got a bit of a weird one.

I've bought a DS-7608NI-E2/8P and connected it to 5x DS-2CD2332-I hikvision cameras
4 of the cameras work fine. The plug and play is pretty neat.
One of them though won't power up. No network or POE light, nothing.

The camera itself works, I've plugged it into another router via poe and it works fine.

I've tried switching ports on the NVR, unplugging everything except for this one camera, different cables, different splitter. Nothing.

Here's the interesting bit. I had a spare 2332 so I tried that one and had the same issue. I had a 2342 kicking around, tried that and that also doesn't work. So I've got 4 cameras that work on the nvr and 3 that don't. Those 3 all work fine when tested in the poe router.

Any thoughts? Is this a power issue? I haven't tried a 12v source yet as I don't have one around.

Firmware? I've upgraded the nvr to 3.4.92_170228
I've tried upgrading one of the 2332s from 5.2.25 to 5.4.41 but it's bricked itself (so I'll have to see if I can sort that out as well). I wouldn't have thought this would be the issue as the cameras that work are all 5.2.25.

rgvlee

n3wb
Reaction score
I've done some further testing; if I power up the cameras via an injector the NVR will detect them. So it seems the NVR POE isn't working for some of my hikvision cameras.

FrankMCN

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And you've tried the same non-working camera(s) on different ports - i.e. one that works for other cameras?

rgvlee

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep. Tried one camera at a time, different ports, everything you can think of.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check they don't have a static IP address on them, use SADP to remove DCHP if it does.
If it has a static IP it will power but wont connect or detect it on the nvr POE port. But it would work fine on a POE switch with a static IP.

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HE says it does not Power up = No Light on the switch. First step is to power up then after this, the IP can even play a role.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Plug the camera direct into the NVR with a pretty made lead as short as possible this will prove the camera and the port of the NVR, also plug your pc to the NVR Poe Poe and run sadp remember to set your pc ip to match that of the Poe side of the NVR.

rgvlee

n3wb
Reaction score
They just don't power up at all.
Tried a factory reset on the camera, no change.
As this is installed at a rental property of mine, I've deployed it with an injector and a 12V power supply. Once the camera is powered up they it works as expected.
It hasn't solved the core problem but it has got it running though which is all that matters.

My thoughts are it has to be a hardware problem or some sort of poe incompatibility between the nvr and the camera.
I don't think it's the latter as a brand new 2342 suffers the same problem.
I'm also not convinced it's the splitter, as it works fine when connected to a poe switch.

KGT

n3wb
Reaction score
This sounds like a cabling issue. If the cabling or termination is bad, it wouldn't matter what camera is on the other end, or what port you plug the cable into. You will still have the same result where camera doesn't work.
It sounds like you are bypassing the problem by putting a standalone "dumb" 12v power injector in the line. This power injector is "dumb" because it does not check the line for faults or negotiate with the camera before sending power. The NVR does check for faults and negotiates with the camera before sending power. It seems the NVR checks the line and something is not right....which is why it doesn't power up the cam.

Have you tried taking this non-working camera down and plugging it directly into the NVR with a patch cord?
If it works, you have a bad cabling run, bad terminations, or both.
Anyways, hope you find the issue. As always, this is just a guess. Hope it helps....Good luck!

Last edited:

rgvlee

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I've tried plugging the non working cameras straight into the nvr.
Tried several patch cables (existing and new), several splitters.
I've had the cat5e line from the server room to the camera tested and it checked out fine.
So I believe that from these tests it would rule out a cabling issue. I can plug the non working camera straight into the nvr with a patch lead and a splitter and it doesn't power up.

I have previously had this cctv setup running on a synology nas and a cisco poe router and it worked fine.
As soon as I cut over to the hikvision nvr (I didn't want to leave my good gear when I moved), that's when this issue showed up.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Just as a side note I have the exact same NVR and it is running 7 cameras with no problem. Power is straight out of the NVR POE ports. Not that it matters in this case but I am running Cat 6 cable. So apparently you know that 4 ports work because you run 4 cameras off of them. I am just wondering if that one camera is drawing too much power for some reason and it is overpowering the POE port so to speak.

rgvlee

n3wb
Reaction score
I had suspected power draw, however I have tried a single camera into the nvr and nothing.
Tried all 3 that didn't work, one at a time. So I doubt they are drawing more than the 120w that can be supplied.
I'm running cat5e but that shouldn't be an issue.