DS-7608NI-I2/8P Australian Firmware or Global?

Encryptme

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I am running the Australian Firmware on my NVR, this is version 4.22, there is a disclaimer above the download page which reads "This firmware is only for Australia devices ".

My question is, can i install the latest firmware from say Hikvision Global on my NVR since that is version 4.40 and there is no disclaimer on that page?

Link to Australian firmware: DS-7608NI-I2/8P
Link to Global firmware page: DS-7608NI-I2/8P

Aquaman

n3wb
Reaction score
This doesn't answer your question, but the ANPR camera firmware is indeed region specific even if the filenames are the same. License plate capture accuracy is optimized for the respective countries. Not sure about NVR firmware.
I'd use what's appropriate for your region!

Reaction score
I have a drama with Oz ver4.0
On my ds7616ni
Everything says go Au ver.
The prob open I've found is no support from the fucktards at hik.
You upgrade the nvr and it falls over and they don't give a fuck.

The shittiest support ever.
Imagine how good it would be if there was excellent support..
We would be recommend hik over anything. But its not the case hik has the worst case of support.

Aquaman

n3wb
Reaction score
Imagine how good it would be if there was excellent support..
We would be recommend hik over anything. But its not the case hik has the worst case of support.
No disagreement here. Hik is always quick to deflect any support whatsoever, even for simple questions. I find the support rude at times also, always insinuating counterfeit devices even though they are legit!

You might have better luck getting support from the seller. My authorized dealer seller wasn’t able to help and deferred to Hik and never followed through

clarification—region meaning the region the unit was programmed (embedded in the serial number) , not where you live. Example, if the NVR was programmed for the US, use US firmware. I hear horror stories of trying to program over CH (China) region units bricking the things

Last edited:

jamesbj348

n3wb
Reaction score
this is exactly what ive been wondering as well, i see other countries getting newer firmware except here

rcheli32

n3wb
Reaction score
+1 on Hik support being very bad, I've lost countless hours of my life to remote support sessions where their subject matter experts ultimately say they can't get face recognition to work, even that it isn't possible, when I've got the history showing it can work.

Any tips on installing the firmware update? I don't care about number plate recognition, but want face detection alerting improvements on a DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As most of us here know, the Dahua and Hikvisions of the world do not cater to the "consumer" market - their target audience is professional installers, so we are considered "prosumer" and we are fortunate to get our hands on these types of cameras instead of consumer grade junk and not having to go thru professional installers to get quality gear. Now the downside is we get them at a discount and without manuals and support and thus are on our own to figure it out. We are fortunate a forum like this exists to help with that. We do not exist in their world and that is their business model and they made the business decision to not compete with the Rings and Nests and Reolinks of the world and as such to do offer these cameras at box stores for consumers to purchase directly. They cater to the professional installers...and would tell you to contact the vendor you got them from if you have questions...

Contrast that with consumer grade units. You can call a Night Owl or Arlo or Reolink or Lorex or Amcrest or DLink or Google Nest or Ring and speak to a representative (now whether they can help you or not is another story) and for most novice callers they provide good customer service, but they will not tell you to talk to Best Buy where you purchased it...and several of these cost the same or more as Dahua or Hikvision...

Last edited:

rcheli32

n3wb
Reaction score
As most of us here know, the Dahua and Hikvisions of the world do not cater to the "consumer" market - their target audience is professional installers, so we are considered "prosumer" and we are fortunate to get our hands on these types of cameras instead of consumer grade junk and not having to go thru professional installers to get quality gear. Now the downside is we get them at a discount and without manuals and support and thus are on our own to figure it out. We are fortunate a forum like this exists to help with that. We do not exist in their world and that is their business model and they made the business decision to not compete with the Rings and Nests and Reolinks of the world and as such to do offer these cameras at box stores for consumers to purchase directly. They cater to the professional installers...and would tell you to contact the vendor you got them from if you have questions...

Contrast that with consumer grade units. You can call a Night Owl or Arlo or Reolink or Lorex or Amcrest or DLink or Google Nest or Ring and speak to a representative (now whether they can help you or not is another story) and for most novice callers they provide good customer service, but they will not tell you to talk to Best Buy where you purchased it...and several of these cost the same or more as Dahua or Hikvision...
What surprised me was that after the professional installer escalated it to Hik support because they couldn't get face events working the way the marketing material indicates it should, the Hik support really didn't seem to have any experience with it either. I felt like they were only experienced with simple and standalone CCTV installations. NOT what I would expect from Enterprise Grade installation services.

rcheli32

n3wb
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest where I can find actual experience getting the face event alerting to work? I've read the Hik documentation and had their support involved, but even they didn't realize what their product could do until I showed them something working.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What surprised me was that after the professional installer escalated it to Hik support because they couldn't get face events working the way the marketing material indicates it should, the Hik support really didn't seem to have any experience with it either. I felt like they were only experienced with simple and standalone CCTV installations. NOT what I would expect from Enterprise Grade installation services.
True...and the same thing most of us have experienced is that we know more than the support center that we call! I cannot tell you how many times I have called on a product and end up teaching the support person because they do not know everything about their product.

I think Hik expects the professional installer to fiddle and play with the gear enough to figure it out and unfortunately most of the time the support personnel are simply given a script of stuff to say.

Hopefully someone here with your NVR model can help you out! My Hik is an older NVR and doesn't have this capability.

rcheli32

n3wb
Reaction score
True...and the same thing most of us have experienced is that we know more than the support center that we call! I cannot tell you how many times I have called on a product and end up teaching the support person because they do not know everything about their product.

I think Hik expects the professional installer to fiddle and play with the gear enough to figure it out and unfortunately most of the time the support personnel are simply given a script of stuff to say.

Hopefully someone here with your NVR model can help you out! My Hik is an older NVR and doesn't have this capability.
Just in case it helps my NVR didn't have some of the capabilities until they installed newer firmware. Which may be part of the problem, they are getting older hardware to do face processing when it doesn't really have the performance to do so reliably.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you guys running the 4.50 version? I currently have the 4.22 version in my NVR's, and wondering if I should upgrade?

rcheli32

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running 4.50 and can't say it made any difference to the issues I'm having, reliability seems the same as earlier versions to me.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm running 4.50 and can't say it made any difference to the issues I'm having, reliability seems the same as earlier versions to me.
Thank You for the reply. I have downloaded 4.50 to my USB memory stick, so I am ready to upgrade if needed. Maybe I will just leave well enough alone.

Last edited:

Encryptme

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank You for the reply. I have downloaded 4.50 to my USB memory stick, so I am ready to upgrade if needed. Maybe I will just let well enough alone.
I have found that the best method is to download it and access the NVR via a webpage and then do the firmware update that way - for me a USB update seems to cause me to have to reconfigure my whole system.

Cytotoxic

n3wb
Reaction score
I wanted to check the HikVision Australia website for the latest firmware for the DS-7608NI-I2-8P but it seems the page for this product no longer exists ( )!
So is it safe to use a firmware version from the global website or should I just leave it?
Thanks for your advice

rcheli32

n3wb
Reaction score
I wanted to check the HikVision Australia website for the latest firmware for the DS-7608NI-I2-8P but it seems the page for this product no longer exists ( )!
So is it safe to use a firmware version from the global website or should I just leave it?
Thanks for your advice
The local support team can give you direct access to the latest firmware download.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So you really need to ask yourself, why am I updating? If it is just for kicks, then stay with what is working.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need. A Dahua Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind, and a certain Dahua PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind, a Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen. Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1614546148413.png