DS-7608NI password not working anymore

Scotttttt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a HV DS7608NI-E2/8P that I have been using for a year now. It was bought to replace a failed Provision ISR NVR. Setup was fine and have not had any reason to log in to the unit for a while until now. But for some reason, when I enter my password, it simply doesnt work.

I dont specifically recall changing the default password when I set the unit up, so theoretically it should be 12345. Obviously that doesnt work. If i did change the password, it would have been something simple like password or 123456 etc. I have tried about 1000000000000 different passwords with no luck. Besides, if i did change the password, I would have documented it.

Question is, if I just bite the bullet and buy a new unit, exact same model, can I access the existing HDD footage in the new unit? Or is the existing footage forever lost?

Appreciate the help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What version of firmware is currently running? SADP will show that. SADP Tool
Presumably an old version as newer versions require a strong password.

Other old variants of default passwords to try - 123456789abc 123456789a
And you could reset the NVR to defaults by using the Hikvision tftp updater to apply the same firmware version as currently installed : TFTPServ

Scotttttt

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

The tool shows Software Version @ V3.4.98. Suggests to me that its a late, if not the latest version which requires a strong password. Maybe I've screwed up and just not documented what I changed it to when I configured it initially. Im pretty religious about documenting that sort of thing. Funnily enough, when I reboot the unit, it warns me that my " password is weak, do I want to continue? "

Ill keep trying password variants for the moment until I read up on how to update the fw on this unit. Can you confirm that updating the fw will not wipe the stored footage on the hdd?

Many thanks!

Scotttttt

n3wb
Reaction score
Further to that, I just checked my google chrome passwords for the IP address of the NVR and it was saved as 12345. Makes me think that something has gone wrong with the unit possibly.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Makes me think that something has gone wrong with the unit possibly.
In which case, re-install the same firmware version as is currently installed, and that will reset to defaults.
The Hikvision tftp updater as linked to will do this without the need for any credentials.

**edit** As a long shot, for that 3.4.98 version of firmware, check if the 'Forgot password' link at the web GUI logon pops up and 'Security Q&A' that has been set.

Scotttttt

n3wb
Reaction score
Any more suggestions on getting the fw upgrade to work? The TPFP tool just doesnt seem to want to start the connection and start the transfer. I can ping all the appropriate IP Addresses but it just doesnt connect. A couple of times it did actually try but it came back with a " client connect failure" message. Im at the point now where I might just have to bin this one and but a new one and hope that I will be able to retrieve the footage that way.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the PC wired, and using the 192.0.0.128 IP address?

No need to bin it, there are other ways to reset to defaults.

Scotttttt

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep. Pc at 192.0.0.128. Sapd tool picks up the unit on 2 addresses. It's regular dhcp assigned address and also another address of 192.0.2.x. Not sure what that address is about.

You think usb-ttl recovery might be the next step?