DS-9632NI-I8 Firmware Update (Bricked)

Hik2love

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,
I did a rookie mistake and updated my DS-9632NI-I8 firmware to the most recent (v4.5xxx) downloaded from Hikvision website. I failed to verify if the NVR was currently on 3.42 prior. Anyhow, the update went thorugh just fine, however the username drop down when connected directly to the NVR shows a bunch of random symbols (attached screenshot). I tried my admin password on every username listed and nothing seems to work. I can see the cameras are still recording, based on the 16 screen view when i right click outside the logon window. I can also see the port is open on the NVR using a port scanning (HTTP and HTTPS) however I am receiving website error when attempting to connect to the WebGui.

I've tried calling HikVision support Tier 1 and Tier 2 and they both just say im screwed and to buy a new NVR.

I stumbled across multiple post regarding the use of HikVision TFTP to flash the firmware, but am running into an issue to where its not sending the Firmware to the NVR. It just loops on the connections successful even after waiting 10 minutes it never completes.

Hoping someone else here has any other ideas? Is there another TFTP software maybe, I noticed the one from hikvision was meant for Windows XP, so not sure if me using it on my windows 10 laptop had anything to do with it not completing the flashing of the firmware?

Logon.jpg
TFTP.jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I did a rookie mistake
Not your fault - it's a bit of a flaw in the Hikvision upgrade process, not handling the old configuration database restructure fully.
It took them quite a while before they published the advisory - and even when they did - how would you know it was there?
Lots of people got caught out by this.

I stumbled across multiple post regarding the use of HikVision TFTP to flash the firmware, but am running into an issue to where its not sending the Firmware to the NVR. It just loops on the connections successful even after waiting 10 minutes it never completes.
The I-series firmware is too large for the 32MB filesize limit of the Hikvision tftp up[dater program.
To get round this problem, you can use the Scott Lamb Python2 clone of the tftp updater.

Hik2love

n3wb
Reaction score
Not your fault - it's a bit of a flaw in the Hikvision upgrade process, not handling the old configuration database restructure fully.
It took them quite a while before they published the advisory - and even when they did - how would you know it was there?
Lots of people got caught out by this.

The I-series firmware is too large for the 32MB filesize limit of the Hikvision tftp up[dater program.
To get round this problem, you can use the Scott Lamb Python2 clone of the tftp updater.
thank you very much for the response. So i came across this the other Day as well and have Given it a try but i am running into a line 1 error when using python 2.72-2.77 and line 53 error whej using python 3.7. All were downloaded from the python website. I can post a screenshot later tonight when I’m back on my laptop.

Edit:

here is screenshot of the error using that script I run into;

1663979626211.png

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
i am running into a line 1 error when using python 2.72-2.77
I've not used this under Windows, only Linux, and only from the command-line as opposed to interactively.
And it definitely requires Python2

Suggestion : try running it like this
python2 hikvision_tftpd.py --filename digicap.dav --server-ip 192.0.0.128

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Download any TFTP they all work same. Prefferably windows application, since some python apps are linux exclusive , and wont work with win enviroment

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Never done the process without putty or securecrt,
Yes, the NVR transmits a UDP probe on a specific port to a specific IP address, the tftp updater program responds on a different port, and that's the proprietary handshake that's conducted which enables the tftp-based transfer to start the update process.
But the method via the serial console is more reliable.

@Hik2love - if you have an RS-232 interface (not TTL serial, that's different) and a null modem cable to hook up to the DB9 connector on the back panel, you can get direct access to the update command to apply the firmware and reset the device so you can access it.

Hik2love

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, the NVR transmits a UDP probe on a specific port to a specific IP address, the tftp updater program responds on a different port, and that's the proprietary handshake that's conducted which enables the tftp-based transfer to start the update process.
But the method via the serial console is more reliable.

@Hik2love - if you have an RS-232 interface (not TTL serial, that's different) and a null modem cable to hook up to the DB9 connector on the back panel, you can get direct access to the update command to apply the firmware and reset the device so you can access it.
Darn, I do not have a RS-232 and a null modem cable.. I purchased the TTL serial to USB from amazon.

Hik2love

n3wb
Reaction score
I will be back onsite tomorrow, and give the script a try via Python 2.7.10 and I have a an old Kali Linux USB live I'll try too if Windows still giving me issues.

jagga

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
alastairstevenson
i have similer issue with ds-2cd2143g2-i,looks like wrong firmware install but i tried with TFTP no go looks like large file
please suggest
Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

Hik2love

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all, not sure why my reply before didn’t post. But thank yoh for all the help. I did get this resolved using the suggested tftp by Scott lamb. It worked flawlessly. All is good now and i was able to finally upgrade to v4.6 thanks again.

jagg56

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all, not sure why my reply before didn’t post. But thank yoh for all the help. I did get this resolved using the suggested tftp by Scott lamb. It worked flawlessly. All is good now and i was able to finally upgrade to v4.6 thanks again.
Hik2love
do you you have Scott lamb TFtpd guide how to do like how to use /
thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Check post number 6 for the typical command-line.
After you've downloaded and unzipped the firmware into the program folder on the PC, start the program as above and power on the device.
Have both the PC and the device each wired to their switch or router ports as normal.
Power on the device and hopefully it performs the handshake and connects.
Good luck!

jagg56

n3wb
Reaction score
how to change ip address 192.168.1.128 because my camera set on 192.168.1.64 (bricked)
and when i ran the program it shows
error:Ardess 192.0.0.128: 9978 not available

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
when i ran the program it shows
error:Ardess 192.0.0.128: 9978 not available
That error would occur when the PC IP address is not set to 192.0.0.128

how to change ip address 192.168.1.128 because my camera set on 192.168.1.64 (bricked)
The IP address that's used when the bootloader is probing for the tftp updater is not the same as the IP address used when the device attempts to boot up.