DSL Modem/Router

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My DSL modem/router was recently damaged by a lighting strike. I thought it had survived but I recently found two of the four ports do not work. Nothing wrong with the WiFi signal as far as I can tell. I need some advice about getting more working ports. Should I replace the modem and get another combo modem/router or get seperate devices. I can only get 7 megabytes download and 1/2 upload. Is there anything I can do to improve the WiFi? Suggestions welcome. Thanks

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
DSL sucks and 7 download and 1/2 up really sucks .. can’t you get cable or fiber ??? You should get at least 50 download it’s 2017

Edit : never get the modem/router all in one. Get to different pieces of hardware

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I take it you never lived in the remote countryside. It takes me 30 minutes one way to go to the grocery store. Miles from the closest neighbor. HEAVEN! At least some would say.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Doubt that lightning would only kill two ports. But why do you need them? Just use your (unmanaged) switch. ;)
But if you must, as @Camit said, i'd go with separate devices.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most DSL modems are combined modems & wifi routers. To improve your wifi you can connect a better wireless router to DSL modem and turn off wifi on it.

For security cameras a wired connection is the way to go.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen lighting do VERY strange things: take out 1 LAN port; take out the DSL modem's incoming phone line port; go from DSL phone line, through the modem (blowing it up) and take out PC's Ethernet port (most common here) and the grand prize winner of strange: come in through phone line, get the DSL modem and the fax machine and it's DSL filter where plugged into the phone line then kill the onboard video of a circa 2004 Dell Dimension 2400. I had to install a video card but get this...it didn't even bother the Ethernet port on the PC that was plugged into the DSL modem that got blown up. Go figure! Like I said, lightning does pretty much what it wants to, at least in NW Alabama. We get it so bad that the thunder knocks pictures off the wall and sets off car and house alarms from the sonic percussion.

I agree with @tangent and others here, turn off the DSL modem/wireless router's Wi-Fi and install a BETTER wireless router on a LAN port of your DSL modem/wireless router. However, before plugging it in the routing function of your chosen wireless router should be disabled, turning it into an access point only. You do that by turning off DHCP and giving it a static IP, subnet mask, gateway and preferred DNS. I have a Ubiquiti NSM2 as my AP but my ZyXEL DSL modem/wireless router performs DHCP and its wireless is off.

And lastly, I can relate to @Stanley71 's dilemma of being out in the country, I'm so far out my DSL REALLY SUX: I have CenturyUNlink of 1.5meg DOWN and 512K UP. Yes, that's not a misprint. It's akin to 2 Dixie cups and some string (or wire, I guess). We cannot even stream Netflix of Amazon Prime video. @Camit , personally I'd be VERY happy with 7 Meg down. Ya'll need to rejoice with your 4, 8, 20 and 60 megs comin' down the wire!! :)

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen lighting do VERY strange things: take out 1 LAN port; take out the DSL modem's incoming phone line port; go from DSL phone line, through the modem (blowing it up) and take out PC's Ethernet port (most common here) and the grand prize winner of strange: come in through phone line, get the DSL modem and the fax machine and it's DSL filter where plugged into the phone line then kill the onboard video of a circa 2004 Dell Dimension 2400. I had to install a video card but get this...it didn't even bother the Ethernet port on the PC that was plugged into the DSL modem that got blown up. Go figure! Like I said, lightning does pretty much what it wants to, at least in NW Alabama. We get it so bad that the thunder knocks pictures off the wall and sets off car and house alarms from the sonic percussion.

I agree with @tangent and others here, turn off the DSL modem/wireless router's Wi-Fi and install a BETTER wireless router on a LAN port of your DSL modem/wireless router. However, before plugging it in the routing function of your chosen wireless router should be disabled, turning it into an access point only. You do that by turning off DHCP and giving it a static IP, subnet mask, gateway and preferred DNS. I have a Ubiquiti NSM2 as my AP but my ZyXEL DSL modem/wireless router performs DHCP and its wireless is off.

And lastly, I can relate to @Stanley71 's dilemma of being out in the country, I'm so far out my DSL REALLY SUX: I have CenturyUNlink of 1.5meg DOWN and 512K UP. Yes, that's not a misprint. It's akin to 2 Dixie cups and some string (or wire, I guess). We cannot even stream Netflix of Amazon Prime video. @Camit , personally I'd be VERY happy with 7 Meg down. Ya'll need to rejoice with your 4, 8, 20 and 60 megs comin' down the wire!! :)
Lightning can do strange things. It's worth noting that even devices that *seem* ok at first can be effected. You'll likely notice some odd things with devices/parts of devices that you thought were OK. Also after a surge you should replace all your surge protectors even if they still seem to work. Make sure you look at surge protection for your phone line and the ethernet line from the dsl modem to your better router.

I bet century link advertises 1.5/0.5 as speeds up to 10 mbps. Any satellite, cellular, or wisp internet options? At least it isn't ISDN...

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tangent and TonyR you are so correct about lightening. I keep finding things that seemd to work but not as they should. The modem and my phone system had hidden problems. Somethings connected to the surge protectors were destroy, damaged and undamaged. I did replace all my surge protectors. Nothing else available at a reasonable cost.

NoloC ha ha. The unmanaged switch ports are all in use or will be. Still need two more powered ports but that can wait until I get the other 8 up and running. I have several Home Run Connect devices that require a cable back to the modem. Right now there are powered near the TV sets. I think what I need is a network switch so I can have more ports available. I’ll figure it out eventually. Thanks everyone.