Durable Outdoor PTZ reccomendation

uproden

n3wb
Reaction score
Let me preface this all with I live in the desert and our temperatures here range from 30 degrees F in the winter to over 115 degrees F in the summer, so please keep that in mind.

I have been using a Toshiba IK-WB15A for many many years outside of the front of my house. Of course when I first got it I was thrilled and at the time it was not terribly expensive, but it's really showing it's age. With the addition of several Hikvision outdoor megapixel fixed cameras the differences between the cameras are very apparent. Not to mention the Toshiba's image quality has been slowly degrading over the years.

But all that being said, the Toshiba still functions perfectly PTZ all work fine. I have had many other cameras fail on me in that time. So I am looking to replace the Toshiba with something more modern and durable that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (Axis :)...

So I was wondering if some of you who have experience in this area might help me with a recommendation, here is what I am looking for:
  • Is designed to work within the temperature ranges specified for many years
  • Optical zoom is preferred
  • Toshiba lens is 2.8 to 7.3 - Wider would be nice and of course more zoom is great
  • Must be POE
  • Must have great night vision, IR illumination is preferred but not necessary there is some light outside at night.
  • Must be at least ~2MP
  • Must operate at 30FPS, even at night (the Toshiba does not... its very... anoying...)
  • Audio (Microphone) would be a plus
  • Must work with Blueiris' native PTZ controls
  • Must be wall mountable
  • Must have some basic vandal protection
And of course the biggest consideration is price, the Toshiba cost me around $500 many many years ago but my budget now is around the same amount.

Anyway, thank you in advance for reading through my long post and I really look forward to hearing your suggestions! Thank you!

uproden

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey I really appreciate the recommendation, I was hoping to find a product someone has been using for years now (along with all the other specs) that could speak to the longevity given the harsh conditions the camera will endure. Have you been using any other Dahua's other cameras for a prolonged period?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Personally no, this is my first Dahua. But there are several folks here that have been using long term. They report good results.

Start here for much information. Dahua

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive had the black face dahua installed for nearly 3 years now on the sunny side of my house, its an older discontinued model now but physically identical to @loony2ns starlight model.

dahua makes the best PTZs hands down, you wont go wrong buying any PTZ they offer.. Ive used and installed lots of em.