DVR no longer send emails for motion detection

fcis

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I've setup my dvr to send emails to my gmail email whenever any of my 16 cameras detect motion. It was working perfect for a couple of days then suddenly I stopped receiving any emails although I'm sure there is motion happening and also I stopped receiving any notifications on my app. I've sent a test email from the dvr and it arrived to my gmail with success, so I'm not sure what is causing this problem? I'm travelling soon and I need to fix this before I travel. Any advise please?

thanks14.jpg 5.jpeg

fcis

n3wb
Reaction score
@fcis , Insure you have configured Gmail to allow less secure apps to sign-in to your account in order to send the e-mail, as detailed here ==>> here.
I don't think this is the issue as when I send a test email it works and I receive it on my gmail account.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think this is the issue as when I send a test email it works and I receive it on my gmail account.
Yes, I tried to delete my reply as I failed to realize that until too late. I was too much in a hurry to get out the door.

I don't have a Hik NVR so I'll bow out, but it would appear it's an issue there and not with Gmail. Good luck!

Ip2b

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue and I've tried more than one SMTP service that I use without a problem with other applications. Other than the SMTP server, account, password, etc..is there anything else that's stopping this from working? I've applied the security settings to gmail, etc...and I've tried another service that isn't gmail and had no emails as well..

Ip2b

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using the wrong port with gmail could cause that. Are you using 587 / enable SSL ?
I think I tried them all (including SSL,) but I also used mailgun as well - no action on either. I read about many people having issues with email notifications around the web.

Ip2b

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Laview NVR LV-N9808C8E with firmware V3.4.62 build 160713 (the update that was supposed to deal with the Gmail problem......)

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fcis
I assume that you are using the same gmail email account to both send and receive. Have you tried to log in to your gmail account through a web browser? Was it successful or not?
I also have the same email configuration and the same problem with the NVR emails but I do not have email problems from the 14 cameras that are also sending their own event emails with the larger file size images. In my case a lot of times I can not access the web gui of the gmail account. According to google, the reason is that if the volume of emails is large, it considers the email dispatching as spam and locks and stops the email account receiving and receiving for an unspecified period. The strange thing is that the cameras emails notifications work properly. The difference is that the NVR 3.4.96 firmware uses SSL encryption for the email and the cameras 5.4.6 and later versions firmwares use TLS for the email encryption. Could this be the main difference and reason?
If you stop sending email notifications from the NVR for some time, I bet that at some point the email account will be unlocked and then you can re-enable the NVR emails, until the next lock up from gmail. Also if the number of emails is low (I do not know how low it should be), then again you (we, I) may not have email problems.
My next project is to install a local private email server in a local raspberry and discontinue the gmail usage.