DVR recording

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi
I have a Hikvision 4 ch DVR with a 1TB hard drive. i recently noticed it only records all 4 channels continuously for around 10 days. is this normal or should it record longer i assumed it would be around 30 days recording. i have looked at the settings but all seem ok,

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
I have a Hikvision 4 ch DVR with a 1TB hard drive. i recently noticed it only records all 4 channels continuously for around 10 days. is this normal or should it record longer i assumed it would be around 30 days recording. i have looked at the settings but all seem ok,
As you might know, the size of the video recorded depends on the number of cameras, camera resolution and camera frame rate (FPS) and will determine how many days of recording will fit onto a specific hard drive size.

You can use the calculator below to determine what adjustments you need to make or if you need a larger drive to record in the manner you desire. Keep in mind that you do NOT need to record at the maximum frame rate, as 15 or even 10 is sufficient and can cut the size of the recording by 1/2 or more versus recording at 30 FPS.

Using the calculator, one can see that 4 cams at 1080P and 10FPS will require almost .4 TB in 5 days, so 10 days will require twice that, about .8TB; so if your cams are higher than 1080P resolution OR are set higher than 10 FPS, you will need more than the 1.0 TB you have now.

==>> Security NVR and DVR Hard Drive Calculator

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi
TonyR Thank-you for the reply it explains why i'm only getting 10 days recording perfectly . even altering a few settings i wouldn't gain much more recording time unless i go to 720p so i'll leave it as it is thank-you,,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to limit the bitrate....ultimately the bitrate that's recorded is the only thing that affects the storage capacity...