Dyn vs NoIP?

Hoog23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I just got a notice that I'm about to get billed $40 from Dyn. (Up until last year I think it was free) Any reason (besides have to reconfigure everything) not to use NoIP? Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I just got a notice that I'm about to get billed $40 from Dyn. (Up until last year I think it was free) Any reason (besides have to reconfigure everything) not to use NoIP? Thanks
its been a paid service for over two years now...Why Dyn Needed to Discontinue Free DynDNS Pro | Dyn Blog
I believe the free no ip account will require monthly logins...there are other completely free services..there are often coupons for dyn that will bring it to 25...

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I believe the free no ip account will require monthly logins...there are other completely free services..there are often coupons for dyn that will bring it to 25...
yes monthly confirmation, you receive a notice about confirmation with a link, you click the link, pass the Captcha and it's done but no "real" login needed.
upload_2017-2-7_8-12-37.png

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used NO-IP for a few years before getting a static IP and you do need to confirm it every 30 days. Even if you miss it and it 'expires' you still have a grace period to re-enable it before it get's blown away forever.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I finally ended up paying for no-ip enhanced a few years ago. No more nag messages on the half dozen or more hostnames I maintain for people.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have used No-IP for 4 years now with no issues, I have the enhanced account (25 hostnames for $24.95 per year). They offer a free Dynamic Update Client program that "....continually checks for IP address changes in the background and automatically updates the DNS at No-IP whenever it changes", according to No-IP.

Hoog23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks all. I think I will check out Duck.

I used No-IP at my moms place but then found out that the dynamic ip really didnt change. I asked the Comcast Tech and he said the only time it would change is if the router went offline overnight and someone else needed a new ip (like a new install) and then it could possibly take that IP.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ive been using affraid.org for a decade now, I like it.. nice and simple, although Ive been paying for a while its for features none of you guys need.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks all. I think I will check out Duck.

I used No-IP at my moms place but then found out that the dynamic ip really didnt change. I asked the Comcast Tech and he said the only time it would change is if the router went offline overnight and someone else needed a new ip (like a new install) and then it could possibly take that IP.
If the MAC address of the modem is changed manually or if the modem is replaced your IP will likely change. That could be a loooong time.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dyn is getting expensive! 1st year I paid $25, next time I renewed for $54 (2 year subscription), now they want $72 (for 2 year subscription). No-IP "no-nag" is $24.95 a year.

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Another good free one is Dynu.com I use it and it is very easy to setup.