DynDNS

Reaction score
I'm currently using Hik-connect and 8.8.8.8 as my DNS. However over the last 2 days it has become incredibly unstable and keeps disconnecting and failing to load, live feeds, images pretty much everything really.

I appreciate that it's a free service, i'm not bothered about paying for a service, however if I do is it going to be a vast improvement over what I free service? (although anything is better than nothing at the min!)

Reaction score
I'm currently using Hik-connect and 8.8.8.8 as my DNS. However over the last 2 days it has become incredibly unstable and keeps disconnecting and failing to load, live feeds, images pretty much everything really.

I appreciate that it's a free service, i'm not bothered about paying for a service, however if I do is it going to be a vast improvement over what I free service? (although anything is better than nothing at the min!)
Could try noip.com and use their service to track local ip for connections. I have had zero issues

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I have NO-IP's 'Enhanced' service for $24.95/year which provides 25 hostnames that never expire (no monthly verifying). I use it on the dozen or so Blue Iris installs I've done and also use their free update client ('DUC') that runs in the background on the BI server PC to update the hostname with the latest WAN IP. Most newer NVR's also allow using NO-IP as well. (No, I don't work for No-IP).
Like @Josh-n-droid I've had NO issues in 3 years or more.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A DNS wouldn't cause intermittent connection issues would it? All it does it point the URL at your IP address.

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I too have found hik-conect very unreliable.
I wish it supported google-dns. Completely free and I can use my own domain name.

Reaction score
I have NO-IP's 'Enhanced' service for $24.95/year which provides 25 hostnames that never expire (no monthly verifying). I use it on the dozen or so Blue Iris installs I've done and also use their free update client ('DUC') that runs in the background on the BI server PC to update the hostname with the latest WAN IP. Most newer NVR's also allow using NO-IP as well. (No, I don't work for No-IP).
Like @Josh-n-droid I've had NO issues in 3 years or more.
I use to use NO-IP's paid service for my BI systems, however, I started having connection issues with the BI mobile app. After I did some troubleshooting, I determined it was the NO-IP service that was causing the connection issues with the BI mobile app. I switched to Dyndns and I haven't had an issue since.

Reaction score
I use to use NO-IP's paid service for my BI systems, however, I started having connection issues with the BI mobile app. After I did some troubleshooting, I determined it was the NO-IP service that was causing the connection issues with the BI mobile app. I switched to Dyndns and I haven't had an issue since.
Are you using a VPN?

Reaction score
you still need a ddns service with vpn if you dont have a static ip from your isp..
Correct, but I wouldn't be using the ddns service to connect to BI. I would only be using it for the VPN, then the LAN IP for BI. The issue with NO-IP occurred when I used their service to connect from the BI app to the BI server. The connection would randomly drop from the app and on some occasions I wouldn't be able to reconnect for over an hour. This problem only occurred with NO-IP's ddns server. If I used the actual ip address or a different ddns service I didn't have any problems.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You know what they say..."ya do what ya gotta do" when it comes to making things work. My use of about a dozen hostnames on NO-IP from various platforms (iPads, iPhones, Android phones, PC's), each of different versions belonging to different customers over a 3 year period has been rock steady accessing BI servers. I guess I'm blessed, lucky or both.

Along those lines, I banked with B of A out in the Silicon Valley of N. CA. from '75 to '04 and they did not drop a single dime of several accounts in that 29 year period and I had excellent service with them...I recall numerous people telling me the horror stories and problems they'd had with B of A and that I should switch to Wells Fargo or Crocker or whatever. I have no doubt that they did have problems but I'd figure that until B of A screws something up I'm sticking with them...why fix something that ain't broke? By the same token, I've had LOTS of issues before with more than one vendor that has been highly recommended by others. Sometimes, it's a crap shoot.

Reaction score
You know what they say..."ya do what ya gotta do" when it comes to making things work. My use of about a dozen hostnames on NO-IP from various platforms (iPads, iPhones, Android phones, PC's), each of different versions belonging to different customers over a 3 year period has been rock steady accessing BI servers. I guess I'm blessed, lucky or both.

Along those lines, I banked with B of A out in the Silicon Valley of N. CA. from '75 to '04 and they did not drop a single dime of several accounts in that 29 year period and I had excellent service with them...I recall numerous people telling me the horror stories and problems they'd had with B of A and that I should switch to Wells Fargo or Crocker or whatever. I have no doubt that they did have problems but I'd figure that until B of A screws something up I'm sticking with them...why fix something that ain't broke? By the same token, I've had LOTS of issues before with more than one vendor that has been highly recommended by others. Sometimes, it's a crap shoot.
The only issue I had with NO-IP was with the BI mobile app. If I was connecting with a web browser it worked fine. The connection issues also occurred on multiple BI systems with different ISP's and routers, so I know it wasn't an isolated problem with my system.

Maybe they fixed the issue. I started experiencing the problem back in June/July of this year. Prior to that I used No-IP for almost two years without an issue.