Easiest way or changing around IP#s on my system

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Finally I have set up all my cameras, and now I would like to set the IP numbers, in a clockwise orientation order.
How could I do that, in the easiest way?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
No point in doing this really, if you are using BI then the only time you ever see/use the IP is when initially adding the cam.

The only time where it might be an issue is when doing an update of the cam but I then just work through all the IP addresses without thinking about which cam or where it is.

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey, I've thought about this too - it's not just an OCD thing - I just like Organization :)
I've seen threads where changing IP addresses seemed easy but haven't done it myself yet.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The easiest way of you must is to note down all the ones you need to change, then change them all to another IP address block then change them back.

So for example mine start at 192.168.1.50 so I would change all my cams to say a block starting at say 100, so change them to start at 192.168.1.100 and then start to change them back

Hope that makes some sense, so you are just temp moving them then moving them back.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
It makes sense. I was thinking about the same thing, but I was hoping that some Config Tool software would come in help.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
for me, I use the router to do it all. Just set the manual dhcp assignment feature available at most routers. Then you select your MAC address you want to assign it to. There's no need to set a certain number like you're suggesting but then at least the camera gets the same number assigned to it every time

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
for me, I use the router to do it all. Just set the manual dhcp assignment feature available at most routers. Then you select your MAC address you want to assign it to. There's no need to set a certain number like you're suggesting but then at least the camera gets the same number assigned to it every time
+1 for reserved dhcp

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Being somewhat OCD, OK really OCD, I keep a spreadhseet wth camera names, models firmware revision, lens size, install date, switch port, HW accleration, login credentials, and IP address. My cameras are on a separate subnet with no router to handle DHCP for it so they're all manually assigned.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
set the manual dhcp assignment feature available at most routers. Then you select your MAC address you want to assign it to.
To make it simple, you'll need to select a range of unused addresses. Assign MAC addresses of cameras to specific IP address. Reboot the camera so it will pick up assigned address. And lastly, go into BI to change the camera's previous address to the (new) reserved address.

It can be done, but there's little/no automation to do this... it's all manual and needs to be done in an orderly fashion.

To reorganized cameras/IPs to use the same IP's in a different order is possible as well, just more complicated as you have to 'free' the address from the current device so it can be re-assigned to a new device. Multiple additional steps and depending on how your DHCP server (aka router) behaves it may take reboots or waiting out the "reservation time" before certain steps can be completed.

===

Not necessary, but neatness counts.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Being somewhat OCD, OK really OCD, I keep a spreadhseet wth camera names, models firmware revision, lens size, install date, switch port, HW accleration, login credentials, and IP address. My cameras are on a separate subnet with no router to handle DHCP for it so they're all manually assigned.
I consider that basic documentation, not OCD at all. Every time something isn't working right with a camera, you're able to dig right into troubleshooting instead of spending a lot of time figuring out what IP, what cable, what switch port, etc. to be looking at.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Should I just delete all the cameras in BI, and re add them as I please? I guess, until now they were all just running, but this time, it would be the "final"(it will never end) setup.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't allow my cameras to even receive DHCP services. They get manually configured. Switching them to a new IP address order simply takes patience.
Just don't accidentally assign one to an existing address nor set inadvertently to an "unknown" IP.

I have re-ordered my IP assignments in the past and it does make my network documentation easier to work with.

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
well, as much as I admire getting everything perfect - I will likely just name mine in a sorted order cam1 cam2 etc. and keep that sorted letting the machine assign the IP's within a reserved group as suggested earlier.
Of coarse I will tinker first and see just how much trouble it really is.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
My cam network has no DHCP server or router which is why mine are all static. Personally, I think setting them to static is the best option so that there’s no dependency on another device.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you change the IP, BI will lose its connection to the camera. Simplest way to fix that, and very easy too, is just go into that cameras config in BI and change the IP to the new one. It'll come back on line with no problems without having to re-create the whole thing, motion detection and all.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I used to reserve an ip address for every device on my network. I set aside blocks for different types of devices. Computers were assigned a specific range, cams another, etc etc. The problem was that even though I was using fairly expensive residential type routers, it always ended up causing problems - basically memory issues. Example - EA 9500v2 router was close to $400 when I bought it. Numerous calls to tech support - and it could not reserve more than about 25 static ips. (I have about 70 different devices)

Switched to pfSense and never looked back - one of my best moves along with adding a 3 piece ORBI system for wifi. So pfSense running in a VM handles all DHCP and each device has a reservation. (very easy to export the list) and the ORBI just handles wifi. Now, I no longer have to deal with these static ip issues.

If your not interested in setting up pfSense yourself (it's free), they do sell standalone devices.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I set all my cameras to a unique static IP, using addresses that are outside the router's DHCP server pool, no IP reservation needed.

In other works, if router LAN is 192.168.1.1 and its DHCP pool is 192.168.1.49 to 192.168.1.99, I use 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.250 for my cams, laser printer, access point, etc.
That's 50 unique IP's from .200 to .250 that serves all my needs.
Been doing it that way for a l-o-n-g time and never, ever an issue.

Riclyo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My blue iris, VPN server and POE switches are in a completely different IP set than anything else on my network. I've set all my cameras IP to static in sequential order starting at the front door going clockwise around the house. My router does let me assign names to all my devices I just find it easier to tweak the camera settings (as I'm still learning) if I actually know the IP of the camera without having to remember what the router has assigned it.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I assign a static IP to each camera when first logging into them with Internet Explorer or Chrome then in my Netgear router I do the same and block outside access. I number my IP's by the cameras brand. Example: my Dahua's are xxx.x.x.20 to xxx.x.x.29. I have lots of a Chinese camera that I like and use and they are numbered from xxx.x.x.60 to xxx.x.x.80. When naming the cameras in BI I put the IP and the ethernet line number in the name as it helps me keep track. Example: SouthYard72m where 72 is the IP and "m" is the ethernet run. Initially I moved the cameras a lot and the numbering helped me keep track. I also have the IP numbers written on the cameras themselves. I guess that may be OCD but keeps my simple mind organized.