Easiest Way to Secure Camera System

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a really easy way to get a camera system secure? I've read about using a VPN, such as OpenVPN ( VPN Primer for Noobs ) but it's still really overwhelming and confusing to me.

I have a Lorex / Dahua system.

I have a router that supports OpenVPN ( the GL-MT300N - https://gl-inet.com/docs/openwrt/openvpn/ ) and I've been stuck on the step of getting an OpenVPN certificate. The router's page (above) says about getting a certificate through a VPN provider. So, I was looking into a VPN provider, and was then told that isn't what we need, and that we just need OpenVPN by itself on a router. ( )

( Lorex / Dahua OEM 6x 4K / 8MP security camera system w/ 8 port POE IP NVR 2TB HDD kit at Costco B&M YMMV for $799.99 )

( Lorex / Dahua OEM 6x 4K / 8MP security camera system w/ 8 port POE IP NVR 2TB HDD kit at Costco B&M YMMV for $799.99 )

At this point I've come to the conclusion (which might be wrong) that there isn't an "easy", all-in-one solution for security camera systems to make them secure. I've seen VPN routers to secure the network using a VPN service such as NordVPN, or Private Internet Access, but nothing that is specific to security cameras.

My question is: Is there really an easy, simple, way to get the NVR secure and still view it remotely, or does it require someone to learn a lot about the networking technology in order to get it done? I like the idea of Nest Cam, Arlo, etc because they work to make sure it's secure, but that comes at a high cost both for the devices and for the cloud storage.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a really easy way to get a camera system secure? I've read about using a VPN, such as OpenVPN ( VPN Primer for Noobs ) but it's still really overwhelming and confusing to me.

I have a Lorex / Dahua system.

I have a router that supports OpenVPN ( the GL-MT300N - https://gl-inet.com/docs/openwrt/openvpn/ ) and I've been stuck on the step of getting an OpenVPN certificate. The router's page (above) says about getting a certificate through a VPN provider. So, I was looking into a VPN provider, and was then told that isn't what we need, and that we just need OpenVPN by itself on a router. ( )

At this point I've come to the conclusion (which might be wrong) that there isn't an "easy", all-in-one solution for security camera systems to make them secure. I've seen VPN routers to secure the network using a VPN service such as NordVPN, or Private Internet Access, but nothing that is specific to security cameras.

My question is: Is there really an easy, simple, way to get the NVR secure and still view it remotely, or does it require someone to learn a lot about the networking technology in order to get it done? I like the idea of Nest Cam, Arlo, etc because they work to make sure it's secure, but that comes at a high cost both for the devices and for the cloud storage.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thank you.
go read the vpn primer again...you didnt read it..if you would you would know that the paid vpn service will do NOTHING for you...it is a completely different product.
want simple? buy an asus router with built in vpn...
or buy something more robust, like a small business unit from zyxel or cisco and PAY someone who knows what they are doing to setup vpn just as you pay a locksmith or alarm installer.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
go read the vpn primer again...you didnt read it..if you would you would know that the paid vpn service will do NOTHING for you...it is a completely different product.
or buy something more robust, like a small business unit from zyxel or cisco and PAY someone who knows what they are doing to setup vpn just as you pay a locksmith or alarm installer.
Thank you for your reply.

I did go through that page more than once, and have left confused each time. I did see that it said a paid VPN is not necessary and that that's a common misunderstanding, but what I was wondering is if a paid VPN would still do the same job, just paying for the convenience of not needing to setup OpenVPN manually. It's looking like that's not the case though, and that a paid VPN is not the way to go at all in regards to getting the cameras and NVR secure.

I've read more than once about getting an Asus router, but is that any different than the router I got that has Openwrt and OpenVPN? Is a complicated setup still required or does the Asus router handle everything?

Thank you for taking the time to help. I'm going to go ahead and look at that post on here again to see if I can get a better understanding of what is needed while I wait for another response here.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just found this page: [VPN] How to set up the ASUSWRT for VPN Server – OpenVPN | Official Support | ASUS Global

That's looking simple to me.. They'll even generate the OpenVPN file.

So, as long as I get an Asus router that supports ASUSWRT it should work out fine?

Maybe this is the simple solution I've been looking for..

I'll keep looking into it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just found this page: [VPN] How to set up the ASUSWRT for VPN Server – OpenVPN | Official Support | ASUS Global

That's looking simple to me.. They'll even generate the OpenVPN file.

So, as long as I get an Asus router that supports ASUSWRT it should work out fine?

Maybe this is the simple solution I've been looking for..

I'll keep looking into it.
get a STANDARD asus router that has built in vpn...almost all their models do..paid VPN will NEVER work..get it out of your mind, its for a different purpose..

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've found this: ASUS Dual-Band AC750 wireless router 733 Mbps with USB port (RT-AC51U) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXYT7XB

Along with: ASUS RT-ACRH13 Dual-Band 2x2 AC1300 Wifi 4-port Gigabit Router with USB 3.0 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXL1AR8

They both appear to have ASUSWRT and are less than $100. Not bad!

If you don't mind, I'd like to mention what I'm planning on doing:

Modem > Wireless Router's Ethernet > ASUSWRT Router with OpenVPN > NVR.

Does that sound like a decent setup? I understand it won't secure the whole network, but my goal right now is to just get the NVR secure so it can't be accessed by anyone else.

I've also read to disable any port forwarding and uPNP, and then of course to make sure there's a good password on the NVR and cameras.

Am I missing anything here? Is it necessary to use the OpenVPN on every device connecting to the NVR (phones, tablets, TV, etc) or is it possible to connect without that on every device?

Thanks again!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
get a STANDARD asus router that has built in vpn...almost all their models do..paid VPN will NEVER work..get it out of your mind, its for a different purpose..
Thank you for being so clear.

I posted a couple routers that are on Amazon that have ASUSWRT. That's what you mean by standard, right? Then I'll just configure the OpenVPN within the router settings..

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for being so clear.

I posted a couple routers that are on Amazon that have ASUSWRT. That's what you mean by standard, right? Then I'll just configure the OpenVPN within the router settings..
Yes, that AC1300 router you linked does have built in vpn support. You are are the right track as built in VPN in the router is easier to configure, and is always on etc. Plus, if you keep the router firmware up to date, you end up having a secure setup.

ASUSWRT from asus is the standard interface for that router. There is a non-standard interface called DD-WRT, don't put that on there, just stick with the out of the box asus setup and you will be in good shape.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, that AC1300 router you linked does have built in vpn support. You are are the right track as built in VPN in the router is easier to configure, and is always on etc. Plus, if you keep the router firmware up to date, you end up having a secure setup.

ASUSWRT from asus is the standard interface for that router. There is a non-standard interface called DD-WRT, don't put that on there, just stick with the out of the box asus setup and you will be in good shape.
Thank you!

I've been looking at the RT-AC51U, but when going to the page and clicking "Try it" to check out the interface, OpenVPN isn't an option:

RT-AC51U | Networking | ASUS USA

ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC66U - Network Map

It's just showing PPTP.

I've looked at this tutorial here: [VPN] How to set up the ASUSWRT for VPN Server – OpenVPN | Official Support | ASUS Global

That tutorial is acting like an OpenVPN option should be there..

The trial page to test out the interface says 2012 in the link so maybe they've updated it with OpenVPN support since then.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A point of confusion is who is the VPN server and who is the client.
The VPN services you pay for, they are the server and your router is the client.
In that GLI help page, it was instructions to setup the router as a VPN client.

For our purposes, your router should be the VPN server. Your phone, or whatever you connect with is the VPN client. Guys can't charge for this, so there is no monthly service for this type of setup.

So you need to figure out how to setup the router as a VPN server. That page did have a VPN server tab, that is where you need to be.

I have instructions for setting up a asus router to act as a VPN server. The router will generate the file you need. You will need to get the file to your client device.
Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router

Last edited:

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A point of confusion is who is the VPN server and who is the client.
The VPN services you pay for, they are the server and your router is the client.
In that GLI help page, it was instructions to setup the router as a VPN client.

For our purposes, your router should be the VPN server. Your phone, or whatever you connect with is the VPN client. Guys can't charge for this, so there is no monthly service for this type of setup.

So you need to figure out how to setup the router as a VPN server. That page did have a VPN server tab, that is where you need to be.

I have instructions for setting up a asus router to act as a VPN server. The router will generate the file you need. You will need to get the file to your client device.
Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router
Thank you! It is starting to make more sense now! I'm in need of a VPN server, and the router I got was for a VPN Client.

I briefly looked at the link you provided, and it looks similar to the instructions directly from Asus. Where I'm confused is according to the sample interface, there OpenVPN tab isn't even there:

ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC66U - Network Map

I'm assuming back in 2012 it wasn't, and now it's there? Asus just didn't bother to update the interface?

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's definitely there now, you can see it in my screen caps.
Sometimes Asus documentation is not the greatest, and yeah that stuff is outdated.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's definitely there now, you can see it in my screen caps.
Sometimes Asus documentation is not the greatest, and yeah that stuff is outdated.
Thank you.

I agree, it's probably the documentation.

It looks like my main problem is going to be resolved with this router. And taking a brief look at the interface, I don't think I'll be purchasing any routers unless they're from Asus from now on. They have an excellent interface available standard.

I asked this earlier and didn't get a response yet, so I thought I'd post it again and see if you have any comments:

Modem > Wireless Router's Ethernet > ASUSWRT Router with OpenVPN > NVR.

Does that sound like a decent setup? I understand it won't secure the whole network, but my goal right now is to just get the NVR secure so it can't be accessed by anyone else.

I've also read to disable any port forwarding and uPNP, and then of course to make sure there's a good password on the NVR and cameras.

Am I missing anything here? Any other settings on the router or NVR? Is it necessary to use the OpenVPN on every device connecting to the NVR (phones, tablets, TV, etc) or is it possible to connect without that on every device?

If it's required to use an OpenVPN client to connect to the server (See, I understand the difference now!) that'll be an extra step but it does help make sure it's secure.

And technically, does this mean if there is a flaw and Lorex doesn't sound out a firmware update our NVR won't be compromised since it's going through the VPN?

Thanks a lot for your help. I'm also hoping others searching for similar solutions will find this thread and be able to learn and secure their NVR (or whole network, if they'd like).

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion, but since this is just being used for the NVR and nothing else I don't think gigabit is necessary, is it? If I wanted to use it for the whole network then I'd definitely want a gigabit one.

Right now my priority is the NVR, but all of this research has gotten me to think about the whole network too.

Thank you for your suggestion!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion, but since this is just being used for the NVR and nothing else I don't think gigabit is necessary, is it? If I wanted to use it for the whole network then I'd definitely want a gigabit one.

Right now my priority is the NVR, but all of this research has gotten me to think about the whole network too.

Thank you for your suggestion!
you will be connecting other devices to the router right? spend the extra money for gigabit...also routers with gigabit generally have faster processors which will help with vpn speed

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you will be connecting other devices to the router right? spend the extra money for gigabit...also routers with gigabit generally have faster processors which will help with vpn speed
Actually, we are just connecting the router to the NVR and nothing else. I didn't think anything of the processor though.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So you dont any other wired network devices in your home?
We do, but I'm looking to keep the NVR separate because I've heard using OpenVPN can slow down the whole network.

Like I said above, looking to have our modem connected to our main wireless router, which does have other things plugged in via Ethernet (VoIP service and TV), and then use an Ethernet port on our current wireless router to go to our new Asus router which will act as the VPN, and connect the NVR to that.

Hopefully that will work, unless I'm missing something?

I understand the whole network won't be secure, but I can look into working with that another day. Right now my main concern is the NVR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We do, but I'm looking to keep the NVR separate because I've heard using OpenVPN can slow down the whole network.

Like I said above, looking to have our modem connected to our main wireless router, which does have other things plugged in via Ethernet (VoIP service and TV), and then use an Ethernet port on our current wireless router to go to our new Asus router which will act as the VPN, and connect the NVR to that.

Hopefully that will work, unless I'm missing something?

I understand the whole network won't be secure, but I can look into working with that another day. Right now my main concern is the NVR.
no....
to properly do that you will want a business grade router with vlans...