EDIT: Reolink RETURNED! Ordered Reolink System. Good setup?

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
EDIT:

Ok thanks EVERYONE for the responses. Didn't expect so many. I have returned the Reolink system. After seeing responses and doing more research, I've decided to go for Starlight/Colorvu (or whatever is good at night vision in color).

Here is stuff I have on hand as spare parts:

• i3 8100 Quadcore
  • Z-370 Prime mobo
  • 12 GB mismatched but working DDR4
  • Bunch of seasonic PSUs
  • 2x WD Red 3TB

Now I am open to building a BlueIris machine OR buying a DVR.

Problem is, I am in Canada and I cannot figure out what to buy and from where! Especially the cameras.

Can someone advise? Thanks.

End Edit
------------------------------------

Hello.

My car got smashed at night and I've lost my job recently. I cannot afford an expensive system but I still want something with good enough quality. I am in Canada. Again I stress the importance of being on a strict budget.

Amazon recently had 5MP Reolink system on sale. Comes with 4x RLC-520 Dome cameras, 8 channel NVR with 2TB and all the ethernet wiring.

Total: $430 CAD, NO tax (about $317 USD)

Good deal? Oh it has not been delivered yet so if anyone has alternatives at this budget I can cancel this order.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

Glad you joined but wondering if you spent any time reading the Cliff Notes found in the Wiki above or researching here regarding Reolink BEFORE your purchase. If you had you would have discovered many, many negative issues with Reolink.

Also, dome cameras can have issues with dome fogging due to UV aging and moisture + dust, also IR bounce back.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh I don't think it's a dome camera. Just the mount is dome-style. Do you have any alternatives at this budget ?

Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

Glad you joined but wondering if you spent any time reading the Cliff Notes found in the Wiki above or researching here regarding Reolink BEFORE your purchase. If you had you would have discovered many, many negative issues with Reolink.

Also, dome cameras can have issues with dome fogging due to UV aging and moisture + dust, also IR bounce back.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh I don't think it's a dome camera. Just the mount is dome-style. Do you have any alternatives at this budget ?
I looked, appears to be turret-style, which is the best form factor.
But...I wonder if the furnished cables are CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) which is not good, especially with POE. Many kits provide CCA. You want solid (not stranded) copper (not CCA).

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I looked, appears to be turret-style, which is the best form factor.
But...I wonder if the furnished cables are CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) which is not good, especially with POE. Many kits provide CCA. You want solid (not stranded) copper (not CCA).
The wires are only 18m each. Is it so bad if they are CCA?

Reaction score
Do not sink further $$$ into this Reolink system. Though it is affordable and cheap for emergency situation, you will be upgrading away from it after you gain additional funding.
Lemme see... Blue Iris = $60'ish
small ebay computer for 4 cameras = $100'ish
Dahua camera's themselves = unsure. The ones I purchase are the higher rated ones around $150+ each. However, there are the cheaper camera's some others here can mention.
Of course, can get blue irus/computer/1 or 2 cheap dahua cameras for around the $320 mark I bet. Gives you room to expand down the road.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do not sink further $$$ into this Reolink system. Though it is affordable and cheap for emergency situation, you will be upgrading away from it after you gain additional funding.
Lemme see... Blue Iris = $60'ish
small ebay computer for 4 cameras = $100'ish
Dahua camera's themselves = unsure. The ones I purchase are the higher rated ones around $150+ each. However, there are the cheaper camera's some others here can mention.
Of course, can get blue irus/computer/1 or 2 cheap dahua cameras for around the $320 mark I bet. Gives you room to expand down the road.
Hmmmm. Some thoughts.
1) That's out of my budget
2) I dont have a computer powerful enough to run Iris 24/7 (besides my gaming machine which I dont want to run 24/7)
3) Don't need more than 4 cameras
4) Expensive electricity. Don't want a PC running all the time.

Really just in the market for a Budget 2K / 4K NVR system that's set and forget in-case something happens again.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The wires are only 18m each. Is it so bad if they are CCA?
Well, I personally would not risk pulling conductors into my house that cannot even receive a UL listing. Below is an excerpt from Belden, one of the oldest and most trusted cable manufacturers in the world for many years:
____

5 Network Problems Caused by CCA
There are several notable issues that can arise when using CCA cabling systems as part of your network infrastructure. Here, we outline a few of them for you …
  • Lack of compliance
CCA twisted pair cables do not comply with UL and TIA standards, which call for solid or stranded copper conductors. CCA twisted pair cables also lack a valid safety listing from the National Electrical Code (NEC). As a result, this type of cabling can’t legally be installed if the building requires CM, CMG, CMX, CMR or CMP rated cables.
  • Poor flexibility and bend radius
CCA conductors are brittle and break easily; it has been noted that even moving a patch panel or a faceplate can cause failures. Due to low tensile strength, CCA wires may also break off as a result of pulling or shearing, which can occur in packaging or during delivery. It’s also important to note that the bend radius of CCA cabling is limited.
  • Oxidation and corrosion
Aluminum is very reactive, oxidizing when exposed to air. This may cause failed terminations in the network infrastructure, leading to connectivity problems. Lots of time can be spent locating and addressing these failures.
  • Not suitable for PoE applications
With much higher DC resistance than copper, conductors may be 60% larger than solid copper to compensate for higher resistance. If not resistance compensated, the voltage drop will be greater for any channel length. Longer lengths (~>65m) will exceed TIA’s channel DCR requirements, limiting the voltage available to the device. Higher resistance causes radiant heat to build up faster, and this may cause damage to the device.

Reaction score
sounds like you bought what you sought: budget camera system. Hope it pans out for what you need it to.
Since I favor Dahua's in my house, wonder what the price tags of Dahua (or Hik, or Lorex) NVR with 2 or 4 camera's cost as a bundle? I bought all my stuff piece by piece so no idea what those price tags are.
Did a quick search. $107 at NewEgg: Dahua NVR4108HS-4KS2 8 Channel Compact 1U 4K&H.265 Lite Network Video Recorder. No POE ports / No HD sadly.
Ah well. Fire up that Reolink and come back to tell us the results. Do daytime motion test and then night time motion test.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I should of looked a little bit deeper.
$313 Dahua 4CH NVR2104HS-P-S2 4MP 4PCS IPC-HDW4433C-A IP POE Camera CCTV CAMERA at newegg. Again, unsure of the quality of those 4433 cameras. If no likey the Reolink, come back here and ask about Dahua NVR + 4 POE cam bundle packages. I'm sure Andy (Dahua seller here) would look into giving you a discount even further than any price tag you see on any website.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello.

My car got smashed at night and I've lost my job recently. I cannot afford an expensive system but I still want something with good enough quality. I am in Canada. Again I stress the importance of being on a strict budget.

Amazon recently had 5MP Reolink system on sale. Comes with 4x RLC-520 Dome cameras, 8 channel NVR with 2TB and all the ethernet wiring.

Total: $430 CAD, NO tax (about $317 USD)

Good deal? Oh it has not been delivered yet so if anyone has alternatives at this budget I can cancel this order.
HI @Warptrooper

Reolink cameras typically use more affordable components and have issues with good image captures in low light conditions.

When you get the kit in do a bench test before committing to it.

Test it with the test rig ( in the USA 2x4 x8foot lumber in a bucket with bricks/rocks/sand bag - search for test rig ) about where you want to place it.
Test it during the day, and night watching over your car.
Have a friend wear a hoodie and cap while acting as a prowler. Have them walk, jog, run in the camera's zone.
Ask another friend if they can ID them.

Remember if it fails to do what you need, it is not a good purchase.

Feel free to share your results here.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
HI @Warptrooper

Reolink cameras typically use more affordable components and have issues with good image captures in low light conditions.

When you get the kit in do a bench test before committing to it.

Test it with the test rig ( in the USA 2x4 x8foot lumber in a bucket with bricks/rocks/sand bag - search for test rig ) about where you want to place it.
Test it during the day, and night watching over your car.
Have a friend wear a hoodie and cap while acting as a prowler. Have them walk, jog, run in the camera's zone.
Ask another friend if they can ID them.

Remember if it fails to do what you need, it is not a good purchase.

Feel free to share your results here.
Good point. At higher mounting location and if suspect is wearing a hoodie cap then yeah it could be tough. Why I'm considering mounting the cameras lower.

Btw they came in and the quality is pretty good for the price of entire system.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Until you look at the low light image on a moving subject.
Reolink is a lying scamming company that posts fake reviews by employees.
But I mean just over 300ish USD for entire system. I'd love to hear of an alternative NVR system that doesn't cost much more but is better.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
But I mean just over 300ish USD for entire system. I'd love to hear of an alternative NVR system that doesn't cost much more but is better.
Yes and you can get an entire system for 150 bucks that will be even shittier than the reolink. What good is a crap system That will let you down when you need it most.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem is that in the price range you're talking about there is no good system. Quality cameras for good low light performance require a relatively large sensor, more expensive, and a lens with a low F stop capability to allow more light in, again more expensive.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes and you can get an entire system for 150 bucks that will be even shittier than the reolink. What good is a crap system That will let you down when you need it most.
Well MAX budget was about 400 cad which i can stretch to 500.

A friend has an even lower budget and wants this 2K Reolink setup.

I can order the 4K reolink setup (4x 8MP bullet cams and nvr with wiring) for 500cad (about 367Usd) and this is my ABSOLUTE max budget for a 4 cam setup I need.

Watched some reviews and YouTube videos and it seems very good for the price. I cannot find any other 4cam nvr system that is 4K and good enough quality at $367USDish.

I understand some of you want to bash me for buying Reolink but I AM ALL EARS if you have ANY alternative for a 4cam NVR setup at this budget. Just keep it mind it cannot exceed 500cad (367usd) and has to include 4 cams and have NVR.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
if you´re short on money => buy only the cameras and use microSD or a simple PC as storage. Later on you can upgrade and don´t stuck with a crappy NVR,
Well microSD is an even worse solution in terms of $ / capacity. Don't want/have a PC to run it non stop.
I tested the reolink NVR and mobile app. It seems to work flawlessly.
I opened it up and the 2TB harddrive is even proper surveillance grade (Seagate Skyhawk Lite)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Warptrooper ,
I'll make it an even 20 for the total posts in this thread in response to your asking if it's a "good deal" and I think you've pretty much made up your mind so please.....keep the system. I hope you'll be pleased with it and it lives up to your expectations....and I am being sincere.